advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Nationwide mandate for masks proposed
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 01, 2020 09:51AM
...by that crazy liberty-hating left wing radical organization, Goldman Sachs.

Why? To save GDP:

“A face mask mandate could potentially substitute for lockdowns that would otherwise subtract nearly 5% from GDP,” the team, led by the investment bank’s chief economist, Jan Hatzius, writes.

... The Goldman Sachs report notes the United States is a global outlier with respect to face mask use, which is widespread in Asia and currently mandated in many European countries.

... the authors estimate such a mandate could dramatically slow the daily growth rate of new infections, from roughly 1.6 percent to 0.6 percent. To get an equivalent effect from an economic shutdown, you’d have to subtract 5 percent from GDP.

Not gonna happen. Even if we had an adult in charge, between the entitled Karens and the I ain’t gonna wear no g-d mask crew, we will remain a global outlier.

Our country will become enshrined as a case study of what not to do in a global pandemic situation for eternity in the epidimiologic literature.

USA! USA!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nationwide mandate for masks proposed
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 01, 2020 11:52AM
Agree, liberty is at stake!1!

But, really, I think the mask thing is perhaps the ultimate example of lowest-common-denominator legislating. If people would just wear them in the appropriate situations and areas, overarching legislation would be unnecessary. But, no..... we can't process that level of fine detail.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 01, 2020 02:20PM
"Every disaster movie starts with politicians not listening to scientists.."
Yup.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 01, 2020 08:17PM
There will always be a percentage of the American population that will defy anything anyone says MUST happen. If a president ordered people to not jump off bridges, there would be people jumping off bridges.

Jeebus people, were you not told as a toddler to cover your cough and wash your hands?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 08:21PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 01, 2020 09:11PM
It's not clear to me which Constitutional right is infringed by being ordered to wear a mask in a pandemic. Here's a helpful list. Perhaps someone here can point it out. Though I'm sure if asked Alito and the Originalist Boys could cook up some tasty pretzel logic in a jiffy.

Freedom of speech, press, and religion
Right to bear arms
Right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures
Right against self-incrimination and double jeopardy
Due process
Right against taking without just compensation
Right to a speedy and public trial
Right to counsel
Prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment
Slavery abolishment
Equal protection
Women’s right to vote
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 02, 2020 03:44AM
Acer
It's not clear to me which Constitutional right is infringed by being ordered to wear a mask in a pandemic. Here's a helpful list. Perhaps someone here can point it out. Though I'm sure if asked Alito and the Originalist Boys could cook up some tasty pretzel logic in a jiffy.

Freedom of speech, press, and religion
Right to bear arms
Right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures
Right against self-incrimination and double jeopardy
Due process
Right against taking without just compensation
Right to a speedy and public trial
Right to counsel
Prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment
Slavery abolishment
Equal protection
Women’s right to vote

They'll say Freedom of speech. Just like they did with Citizen's United. It will be equated to freedom of expression. - If it's OK to burn the flag, it's OK to protest by not wearing a mask.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018