advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Seattle CHOP has been chopped
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 01, 2020 12:07PM
[www.yahoo.com]

I was reading in another article that crime in that area doubled compared to same time in April. Self-policing only works when everyone is a decent person.

Went in before dawn, and arrested about 2 dozen people.

It pisses me off that only one news report over the last few weeks acknowledged that the MAYOR ordered the police to abandon the East Precinct. The Chief of Police WAS NOT involved or in agreement. Since then they have completely glossed over it.

The nutcase Council woman Kshama Sawat has been accused of 5 different violations, including a Federal DOJ violation of privacy of the mayor's home address. As a former Federal Prosecutor who received numerous death threats, her home address is protected. Ms Sawat led a protest march to the mayor's address, fully knowing the mayor wasn't home. Great, she blew the mayor's Federally protected privacy. That's a Federal DOJ crime. I pray that wackjob gets canned and jailed. [www.kiro7.com]

Potentially delegating decisions regarding hiring to an outside political organization.
Allowing hundreds of protesters into City Hall after hours, against the city’s COVID-19 protections and risking the safety of workers.
Encouraging protesters to occupy the East Precinct, using her position as a Councilmember.
Leading a protest to Durkan’s home despite the address being protected from her work as a U.S. Attorney.

There is a 5th charge related to #1 as well

Jeebus we are getting screwed by these people, but no one has the balls to step up and toss both out. The other 8 council members can vote both out based on their job performance and obvious biases.

And there is a crucial distinction. No one voted Ms Durkin as mayor. She was Deputy Mayor, and the former mayor stepped down because of a prersonal scandal. She was a train wreck even before the pandemic and BLM

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 01:09PM by Racer X.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Seattle CHOP has been chopped
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 01, 2020 01:17PM
The entire idea of 'liberated zones' never works. Witness the pathetic 'Occupy' sleepover in Manhattan, or the seriously dangerous armed right wing Bundy Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon or the Columbia University 'Student Uprising and occupation' of 1968... it's always the same. The Revolution may be televised, but it's the political efforts outside of these sideshows that get any real results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 01:18PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 01, 2020 02:07PM
It was a weird thing and just gave the right something to complain about that was not police brutality toward POC.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 01, 2020 02:08PM
As soon as the sun went down, the thugs and scum popped out. Federal lawsuit has been filed against the mayor and the city. I hope the mayor and city lose, and the mayor gets tossed.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 01, 2020 02:17PM
I was waiting for a new Gibson novel to come out of this attempt at anarchistic living.

I feel bad for the people who owned the property in the area / lived there.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 01, 2020 02:25PM
Better as a philosophy than a place. The fight for racial equality and police reform will go on.

Seems most everyone went home peacefully but yes it is a bad mess for that neighborhood.

My best friend's son is a Seattle cop. At one point the police offered to send in pizza to CHOP protesters, who insisted it be vegan. Cops said fine.

Dozens of people experiencing homelessness were staying in that area and were protected and fed by the protesters. The protesters were peaceful but as with many demonstrations around the country, when normal order was disrupted during the day others took advantage of that situation at night to cause chaos and sometimes violence.

The mayor will be fine IMO. She's done an outstanding job managing the pandemic in the city that had the earliest cases and the most amount of uncertainty.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 01, 2020 02:27PM
cbelt3
I was waiting for a new Gibson novel to come out of this attempt at anarchistic living.

I feel bad for the people who owned the property in the area / lived there.

Temporary inconvenience. I feel worse for people of color and people with mental illness who've been brutalized and killed by Seattle cops in recent years.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 01, 2020 09:04PM
Steve G.
The entire idea of 'liberated zones' never works.

I generally agree. But there is a counterexample of sorts in Copenhagen.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 02, 2020 12:13PM
Steve G.
The entire idea of 'liberated zones' never works. Witness the pathetic 'Occupy' sleepover in Manhattan, or the seriously dangerous armed right wing Bundy Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon or the Columbia University 'Student Uprising and occupation' of 1968... it's always the same. The Revolution may be televised, but it's the political efforts outside of these sideshows that get any real results.

The "Sanctuary" at MIT in 1968 worked, in the sense that it sparked increased antiwar sentiment in the region. It was of limited duration, and was reasonably well controlled. Out of it came a lot of organizing and a lot of education of the local population including students from dozens of local colleges.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 02, 2020 01:21PM
pdq
Steve G.
The entire idea of 'liberated zones' never works.

I generally agree. But there is a counterexample of sorts in Copenhagen.

There was an even better counterexample in Paris..... Well, until le semaine sanglante, anyway...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 345
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018