advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Texas governor issues mandatory face mask policy
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 02, 2020 03:59PM
Call the observatory. I think a rogue brain wave just hit Texas!

Texas governor issues mandatory face mask policy

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) has issued an order making it mandatory for all Texans to wear a face covering of some kind while out in public as the state faces a surge in coronavirus cases.

The governor's office said the order applied to all counties in Texas with 20 or more confirmed cases of COVID-19, saying the move was necessary with other efforts to curb the spread of the disease.

"Due to recent substantial increases in COVID-19 positive cases, and increases in the COVID-19 positivity rate and hospitalizations resulting from COVID-19, further measures are needed to achieve the least restrictive means for reducing the growing spread of COVID-19, and to avoid a need for more extreme measures," Abbott said in his executive order issued Thursday afternoon.

He added: "Wearing a face covering is important not only to protect oneself, but also to avoid unknowingly harming fellow Texans, especially given that many people who go into public may have COVID-19 without knowing it because they have no symptoms."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 04:01PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Texas governor issues mandatory face mask policy
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 02, 2020 04:24PM
But people would rather die than impair the economy with things like masks.
Date: July 02, 2020 04:37PM
pdq
But people would rather die than impair the economy with things like masks.

I didn't say they would wear them, silly.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 02, 2020 05:05PM
Steve you live in a county with such terribly underfunded public hospitals that people died from coronavirus there because they took off their oxygen masks to go the bathroom when there was no staff to be found to help them.

Meanwhile over at Presbyterian it was latest and greatest treatment for the folks with private insurance.

No thread about the severe inequality of healthcare access in your county? And all the deaths that caused?
Date: July 02, 2020 05:39PM
Lemon Drop
Steve you live in a county with such terribly underfunded public hospitals that people died from coronavirus there because they took off their oxygen masks to go the bathroom when there was no staff to be found to help them.

Meanwhile over at Presbyterian it was latest and greatest treatment for the folks with private insurance.

No thread about the severe inequality of healthcare access in your county? And all the deaths that caused?

You have citations for this?
I will admit that Jamaica Hospital has always been known as death's doorway. It also has a pavilion named in big letters after Trump. I don't know about ground zero Elmhurst Hospital. There are a number of hospitals in Queens which are affiliates of the big guys. But if you can prove otherwise, then go ahead, I'd be glad to learn about it.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 02, 2020 05:53PM
Steve G.
Lemon Drop

You have citations for this?
I will admit that Jamaica Hospital has always been known as death's doorway. It also has a pavilion named in big letters after Trump. I don't know about ground zero Elmhurst Hospital. There are a number of hospitals in Queens which are affiliates of the big guys. But if you can prove otherwise, then go ahead, I'd be glad to learn about it.

In Queens, the borough with the most coronavirus cases and the fewest hospital beds per capita, hundreds of patients languished in understaffed wards, often unwatched by nurses or doctors. Some died after removing oxygen masks to go to the bathroom.

[www.nytimes.com]

Honestly this article shocked me. I know we have big inequities in the delivery of healthcare but I'd always assumed that NYC had good hospitals for everyone.

I want to see President Biden go to work on this and fulfill more of the promise of what Obamacare is supposed to be.

(and yes it's very good that leaders are finally cluing in on the need to make mask-wearing mandatory. It's really late in a lot of places tho... The best SC's Gov will do is threaten people that there won't be any football this fall, He's leaving it to the cities)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 05:55PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 02, 2020 07:44PM
Public hospitals in inner cities have always been underfunded and understaffed, This true nationwide. In fairness to Queens, no inner city hospitals anywhere have been as overrun with little or no warning as were those hospitals in Queens and other boroughs.

Even with the lead times they had Houston hospitals are on the verge of experiencing something similar. Not sure if the reporting there will be as forthcoming as it was from NYC.
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 02, 2020 10:45PM
The faithful are saying freedom freedom we can decide for ourselves. Maybe we will, maybe we won’t.

Dumba**sesOld Fogette
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018