advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Who's to blame? Phone cameras!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 02, 2020 05:34PM
I know everybody sorta knows this, but it should be said.
Phone cameras and cop cameras have turned around the public's perception of not only police behavior, but also the bullying and violence directed against Blacks and other minorities.

When it shifted from edited documentary-style 'Cops' shows to raw footage put immediately on the internet, the game changed. So here's to Steve Jobs, a man who made an American revolution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 05:34PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who's to blame? Phone cameras!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 02, 2020 05:49PM
Stupidity has no boundaries.

In a 1-minute video clip, which was posted to Twitter and has nearly 6 million views, a white woman pointing a handgun at the camera says, "Get away," while another woman, who is not visible, says, "She got the gun on me," adding that she's worried about being hit by a car, and urging someone to presumably call the police.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 02, 2020 06:08PM
Steve G.
Phone cameras and cop cameras have turned around the public's perception of not only police behavior, but also the bullying and violence directed against Blacks and other minorities.

When it shifted from edited documentary-style 'Cops' shows to raw footage put immediately on the internet, the game changed. So here's to Steve Jobs, a man who made an American revolution.

Yeah, I agree. Videos could very well be the primary difference between the reactions in the past and now. And certain videos in particular seem to evoke strong personal responses even though they are but one of way too many such incidents. When the Syrians were fleeing to Europe, I think the picture of the young child that had drown, floating face down in the surf produced that kind of galvanizing effect. The video of the murder of George Floyd was like that, I think.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 02, 2020 06:43PM
I offer a solemn “Leader.”
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 02, 2020 07:27PM
I’ve been wrong many, many times in my life, but I remember saying some 15+ years ago that justice in this country and the world would only come when everyone had a video camera and a satellite uplink.

I was wrong about the tech, but I think we’re approaching the concept.

And I think it’s a very, very good thing.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 02, 2020 11:13PM
Steve G.

Somewhat disagree. I think it was the introduction of the consumer camcorder; i.e. the Rodney King beating in 1991.

“A civilian, George Holliday, filmed the incident from his nearby balcony and sent the footage to local news station KTLA. The footage clearly showed an unarmed King on the ground being beaten after initially evading arrest. The incident was covered by news media around the world and caused a public furor.”
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 02, 2020 11:15PM
I agree that phone cameras have influenced things in society in ways we probably could not have imagined.

Although I had a camera in my Motorola, HTC and a Palm device for a number of years prior to the iPhone.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 02, 2020 11:18PM
Steve Jobs was brilliant but not socially active. He'd of been pleased from a technological perspective, not necessarily a social one.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 03, 2020 08:18AM
RgrF
Steve Jobs was brilliant but not socially active. He'd of been pleased from a technological perspective, not necessarily a social one.

Yes, indeed.

The current CEO of Apple, I'm sure, is personally quite pleased with this development though he is very careful publicly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 371
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018