advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
New monument park?
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 04, 2020 08:11AM
Another question here...doesn't Congress have to approve? Money and land? He can’t just set up a National Park by himself..or will he get he Deplorables to privately fund a tribute to him thru A park of monuments?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New monument park?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 04, 2020 08:23AM
Here's his order:
[www.whitehouse.gov]

he wants it to open in 2026. Sorry dude.
He'll be outta there before the "task force" can order donuts and coffee.

(i) The National Garden should be composed of statues, including statues of John Adams, Susan B. Anthony, Clara Barton, Daniel Boone, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, Henry Clay, Davy Crockett, Frederick Douglass, Amelia Earhart, Benjamin Franklin, Billy Graham, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Douglas MacArthur, Dolley Madison, James Madison, Christa McAuliffe, Audie Murphy, George S. Patton, Jr., Ronald Reagan, Jackie Robinson, Betsy Ross, Antonin Scalia, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Harriet Tubman, Booker T. Washington, George Washington, and Orville and Wilbur Wright.

Betsy Ross for the win!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 04, 2020 08:37AM
...and will Mexico pay for it?
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 04, 2020 08:54AM
You can have black people in your monument park! Just make sure it's properly balanced with twice as many white people.

Antonin Scalia? Really? What the hell is his legacy? They really should save a spot for Gorsuch, instead, the guy whose appointment broke the Constitution. There's an event that will echo through the ages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 08:56AM by Acer.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 04, 2020 08:56AM
I'd like to know who came up with that list... Scalia?

I would love even more to hear Trump say who each of those individuals are from memory.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: July 04, 2020 09:15AM
Acer

Antonin Scalia? Really? What the hell is his legacy? .

White male Christian supremacy? Seems fitting for the Trump park.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 04, 2020 09:56AM
Lemon Drop
Acer

Antonin Scalia? Really? What the hell is his legacy? .

White male Christian supremacy? Seems fitting for the Trump park.

Wonder how Billy Graham got on that list too.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 04, 2020 09:57AM
Scalia bugs you, but a national memorial to Billy Graham is okay?

...From what I can see, "The National Garden" could easily be a warehouse in New Mexico with the statues stacked in crates/boxes, and so long as the public was welcome to visit (by appointment/permit) this would satisfy the order.

Date: July 04, 2020 10:02AM
Who said Billy Graham was OK?

Nobody here, of course.
Date: July 04, 2020 10:10AM
Lemon Drop

Nobody here, of course.

His son comes out on TV pimping for Cheeto. Don’t know that The Billy Graham did that or would.
Date: July 04, 2020 10:17AM
samintx
Lemon Drop

Nobody here, of course.

His son comes out on TV pimping for Cheeto. Don’t know that The Billy Graham did that or would.

Billy Graham confessed in later life that one of his biggest regrets was getting cozy with Richard Nixon. He warned that pastors should not get enmeshed with partisan politics and politicians. (NY Times 2018)
His son has a different approach to be sure. Not everybody in the younger Graham generations agrees with Franklin.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 04, 2020 10:19AM
samintx
Lemon Drop

Nobody here, of course.

Billy got burned by the Nixon dumpster fire and was more careful afterward, though he was still the go-to evangelical for presidents afterward when they need some cover.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 04, 2020 10:47AM
samintx
Don’t know that The Billy Graham did that or would.

He did for Nixon.

PLUS:
{Nixon} made a string of bigoted remarks about Jews and what he deemed their undue influence. Graham responded, "This stranglehold has got to be broken or the country's going down the drain." That line was picked up by media at the time and included in some of remembrances following his demise. Most of the conversation was not.

"You believe that?" Nixon said, seeming to be pleasantly surprised with affirmation of an anti-Semitic streak that courses through many Nixon Oval Office conversations.

"Yes, sir," Graham said to Nixon (and H.R Haldeman, the Nixon top aide later imprisoned for his role in the Watergate cover-up, who is apparently in the room for most, even all the conversation).

"Oh, boy," replied Nixon. "So do I. I can't ever say that but I believe it."

"No, but if you get elected a second time, then we might be able to do something," Graham replied.

Graham referenced friends of his own in the press who were Jewish and how they "swarm around me and are friendly to me." But, he added, "They don't know how I really feel about what they're doing to this country."
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 04, 2020 11:44AM
And of course, the first (and only) non-white President was accidentally omitted.
Date: July 04, 2020 12:02PM
Great idea, Donald. Should we add yours to these groupings?

One is outside of Moscow

Budapest has one too

All over Eastern Europe since since 1989
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 04, 2020 12:13PM
As a retired teacher, I have a lot of respect for Christa McAuliffe being chosen to be an astronaut, but her inclusion is a weird choice. The list is so random in so many ways. It's like they were looking for famous women to "get the numbers up" for women. Sandra Day O'Connor as the first women on the Supreme Court would make more sense than Christa McAuliffe.
Date: July 04, 2020 12:22PM
Ted King
As a retired teacher, I have a lot of respect for Christa McAuliffe being chosen to be an astronaut, but her inclusion is a weird choice. The list is so random in so many ways. It's like they were looking for famous women to "get the numbers up" for women. Sandra Day O'Connor as the first women on the Supreme Court would make more sense than Christa McAuliffe.

Agree! Being dead must have been one of the qualifiers - Justice Day O'Connor is still with us.

There are so many women in history more significant than Betsy Ross (??) or Christa McAuliffe.

Betsy Ross cracks me up tho.
Date: July 04, 2020 12:30PM
Lemon Drop
Ted King

Agree! Being dead must have been one of the qualifiers - Justice Day O'Connor is still with us.

There are so many women in history more significant than Betsy Ross (??) or Christa McAuliffe.

Betsy Ross cracks me up tho.

Oops, I didn't realize Justice O'Connor was still alive. My bad.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 04, 2020 12:49PM
Where is Thurgood Marshall, Cesar Chavez, Louis Armstrong or any number of Native Americans?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: July 04, 2020 01:22PM
Betsy Ross is quaint. Kind of a mother figure we all can relate to her in some way.
Date: July 04, 2020 01:56PM

Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant...but no wimps
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 04, 2020 01:58PM
The only Bill Graham that should be in that garden is the one who brought the Grateful Dead to the Fillmore and Winterland.

Date: July 04, 2020 02:33PM
bfd
The only Bill Graham that should be in that garden is the one who brought the Grateful Dead to the Fillmore and Winterland.

Posted by: bfd
Date: July 04, 2020 04:05PM
smiley-score010
Date: July 04, 2020 04:05PM
This monument park is another shiny object to take our minds off COVID19...Pure and simple.
Date: July 04, 2020 06:38PM
Meanwhile a few months ago:

[abcnews.go.com]

The U.S. government implemented final management plans Thursday for two national monuments in Utah that President Donald Trump downsized [by a LOT] more than two years ago that ensure lands previously off-limits to energy development will be open to mining and drilling despite pending lawsuits.
- - - - -
Conservation groups that have called the decision the largest elimination of protected land in American history criticized the administration on Thursday for spending time on management plans they believe will become moot. They contend Trump misused the Antiquities Act to reverse decisions by previous presidents.

A federal judge last year rejected the administration's bid to dismiss the lawsuits. In a recent court filing, tribal groups said the Bears Ears lands are “a living and vital place where ancestors passed from one world to the next, often leaving their mark in petroglyphs or painted handprints, and where modern day tribal members can still visit them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 06:39PM by Ted King.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 04, 2020 07:14PM
....he will change later to include his favorite dictators.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018