advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Mississippi Election Commissioner Disturbed that 'The Blacks' are Registering to Vote...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 05, 2020 04:31PM
[www.clarionledger.com]

"I'm concerned about voter registration in Mississippi," the commissioner wrote. "The blacks are having lots (of) events for voter registration. People in Mississippi have to get involved, too."

Apparently, "The Blacks" are not people.

...But she's not racist because it was meant to be a private comment on Facebook and "I was just trying to strike a match under people and get them to vote — to get everybody to vote," she said. "This was not intended to be anything."

...I can believe that she thinks she's not racist. As we've discussed here a few times, lots of people take umbrage at the word even as their own words and actions define them as such.

One thing that Mississippi excels at is disenfranchisement.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mississippi Election Commissioner Disturbed that 'The Blacks' are Registering to Vote...
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 05, 2020 05:10PM
"This was not intended to be anything."

Racist fear mongering. That’s not “a thing”, right? That’s just... talking. You know. “At least it’s a dry heat.” “How’re the kids?” “Better remember to vote. I hear some of the blacks might slip through.” “See you at the cross burning Thursday?”

Just...talk.

It’s not a “thing” now, is it? Couldn’t be.
Re: Mississippi Election Commissioner Disturbed that 'The Blacks' are Registering to Vote...
Posted by: hal
Date: July 05, 2020 05:21PM

"This was not intended to be anything."

If you meant nothing, you could have said nothing, but no... instead you are warning the people about The Blacks - that's definitely something.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 05, 2020 05:33PM
She's just one bad apple. The system's not really systemically racist.
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 05, 2020 06:15PM
How dare they!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 05, 2020 06:29PM
Classic racist "other" thinking. She doesn't see something "other" as being human.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 05, 2020 07:39PM
Reminds me of that WV mayor who made the famous “ape in heels” comment about our first lady a few years back.

I’m not racist!” she protested.

Stupid is as stupid does. “Racist” works the same way.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 06, 2020 09:05AM
That's friggin disgusting
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 06, 2020 10:55AM
Clearly not disqualifying for elections officials in MS. Then or now.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 06, 2020 12:14PM
Gail Harrison Welch has been in her elected position for 20 years. She's on the ballot this fall, about the only way to remove her is to have the people vote her out. Her district is 30% black.

“The Secretary of State’s Office continues to receive reports regarding the online behavior of a handful of Election Commissioners spread across the state. While we do not agree with the derogatory comments we’ve seen, our office has no legal authority to reprimand or remove these individuals from office. Election Commissioners are independently elected officials, and they are answerable to the voters of their district.

[www.wdam.com]

(there's an interview with her at the link)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020