advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Atlanta Mayor Bottoms tests positive
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 06, 2020 06:45PM
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms tweeted Monday that she has tested positive for Covid-19 and will self-quarantine at home for the next two weeks.

“I have had NO symptoms and have tested positive,” the mayor said.

Bottoms later said in an interview she has taken two tests for the virus this month.

Bottoms is also being considered for the Vice Presidential slot on the Democrat ticket.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Atlanta Mayor Bottoms tests positive
Posted by: hal
Date: July 06, 2020 06:51PM
@#$%&!!

Hope she is ok
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 06, 2020 07:05PM
The governor. the one who refused to shut down the state, responded by activating the Georgia Nation Guard and sending then to defend government buildings in Atlanta.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 06, 2020 07:38PM
Reportedly, she's relatively OK ... but her husband, maybe not so much... according to her, he'd been sleeping from Thursday straight through Sunday (at least, that's what I heard on the news). [www.axios.com]

Let's hope she and her family do OK with this virus.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: July 07, 2020 12:55AM
Hope she pulls through OK. I like her a lot when I see her interviewed.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 07, 2020 07:49AM
SKYLANE
Hope she pulls through OK. I like her a lot when I see her interviewed.

Same, and hope her family will be OK too.

Times are rough in Atlanta right now with escalating violence in the city, and tension between Mayor Bottoms and Gov. Kent.

[www.ajc.com]

"Gov. Brian Kemp will deploy as many as 1,000 Georgia National Guard troops to protect state buildings in Atlanta on Monday following a burst of violence across the city that left four dead, including an 8-year-old girl, and saw the ransacking of the headquarters of the Georgia State Patrol.

Kemp, a Republican, issued the emergency order after threatening late Sunday to “take action” to curb the unrest in Atlanta if Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms failed to do so, a move that highlighted the complicated, and increasingly tense, relationship between two of the state’s most prominent politicians.The National Guard troops will be dispatched to three locations in the city: The state Capitol, which has been the focus of protests over statues of segregationists and Civil War leaders; the Governor’s Mansion in Buckhead; and the recently vandalized Department of Public Safety building in southeast Atlanta.“Peaceful protests were hijacked by criminals with a dangerous, destructive agenda. Now, innocent Georgians are being targeted, shot, and left for dead,” said Kemp. “This lawlessness must be stopped and order restored in our capital city.”The governor’s aides said earlier Monday that his emergency powers grant him the authority to deploy Georgia National Guard troops to Atlanta’s streets. He took that step in late May, after widespread looting and violence, at Bottoms' request.
The mayor, who said Monday she tested positive for the coronavirus, said that she strongly disagreed with Kemp's decision and at “no time” requested the help.
"The irony of that is I asked Governor Kemp to allow us to mandate masks in Atlanta and he said no,” Bottoms said early Tuesday on Good Morning America. “But he has called in the National Guard without asking if we need the National Guard.”
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 07, 2020 08:10AM
I was sorry to see that she had tested positive. I hope she and her family get better quickly.
The situation in Atlanta is pretty bad right now. I think all that has gone on since the Rashard Brooks shooting has taken its toll on her and also on her chances to be VP.
Kemp is an idiot, and they don’t seem to get along, so that’s not helping matters.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 07, 2020 08:42AM
I heard her this morning say she was a "low positive", suggesting either that she's at the beginning of it getting worse or the tail end of it getting better. Let's hope it's the latter.

rgG, what's the perception of her handling of things there? The impression I get from the national news is that there's only so much she can do... the violence we had this past weekend was not unique to Atlanta, by any means.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 07, 2020 08:57AM
PeterB
I heard her this morning say she was a "low positive", suggesting either that she's at the beginning of it getting worse or the tail end of it getting better. Let's hope it's the latter.

rgG, what's the perception of her handling of things there? The impression I get from the national news is that there's only so much she can do... the violence we had this past weekend was not unique to Atlanta, by any means.

She is in pretty much a no win situation. I think she may have been too hands off with the takeover of the Wendy’s area by armed people. There was a city council woman who was trying to negotiate with them but they were asking for the area to be turned into a community center or park and didn’t seem to get that the city didn’t own the land and couldn’t promise that. Since GA is an open carry state, the fact that they had guns was not against the law, but it was just a matter of time before something went south.
It is similar to the Seattle situation, damned if you do and damned if you don’t, so no one is happy.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 07, 2020 10:11AM
......so she use to top.....and now she bottoms.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: July 07, 2020 01:31PM
rgG
PeterB

She is in pretty much a no win situation. I think she may have been too hands off with the takeover of the Wendy’s area by armed people. There was a city council woman who was trying to negotiate with them but they were asking for the area to be turned into a community center or park and didn’t seem to get that the city didn’t own the land and couldn’t promise that. Since GA is an open carry state, the fact that they had guns was not against the law, but it was just a matter of time before something went south.
It is similar to the Seattle situation, damned if you do and damned if you don’t, so no one is happy.

Remember how the FBI let the Oregon crazies take over that remote forest service center? Rather than go in there are clear them out, they let it play out for a good long time. They wanted to end the episode without loss of life. Not easy to do and certainly impossible when you storm a fortified building held by people with guns.

It didn't go well at Wendy's but it could have been much worse if they just tried to clear it out first thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018