advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Near lynching in Bloomington IN during 4th of July weekend
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 06, 2020 10:22PM
The incident is still under investigation; including the lack of action by the officers who responded to the call. There are multiple videos of the incident, some included in the linked article.

The attack took place after the victim and his friends were confronted by the aggressors as they neared a public park/open space. The same group soon after committed the assault.

[The victim, Vauhxx (sic)] Booker said he was pinned to a tree, and a group of men threatened to break his arms, and made the statement “get a noose,” while telling Booker’s companions to leave the area. Booker said the individuals, who had Confederate flags, and made statements about “white power” claimed he and his companions had trespassed on private property.”

Barring extraordinary events coming to light, appearances are, that but for the intervention of the victim’s acquaintances and others, this incident could easily have had the most grisly and tragic of outcomes.

Here the victim is shown kneeling on the ground, pinned against a tree by his assailants after the initial assault.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 10:38PM by Blankity Blank.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Near lynching in Bloomington IN during 4th of July weekend
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 06, 2020 10:26PM
Part of the attack was also captured on video by witnesses.

the perps

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 10:29PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 06, 2020 10:31PM
“I’m looking forward to the prosecutor issuing arrest warrants for these assailants today and I want the DNR to act and discipline the officers involved,” Booker told The Bloomingtonian. “They refused to make an arrest.”

Booker is being represented by attorney Katharine Liell. In a statement today, Liell said the case is under active review by the Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office and that she believes arrest warrants will be issued.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 06, 2020 10:55PM
Did I fall asleep and land in an alternate universe?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 06, 2020 11:55PM
This is what happens when we have an openly racist president.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 07, 2020 12:00AM
They'd have done that ten years ago as well, Indiana is basically a southern state situated in the mid-west.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 07, 2020 04:25AM
I always thought Bloomington was fairly progressive with Indiana University situated there. At least it seemed that way when I used to participate in the Hilly Hundred bike tour years ago.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 07, 2020 06:07AM
What is going to happen in Nov? I fear putting any political signs in my yard. I live in a MAGA hotbed.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 07, 2020 07:03AM
Sam3
I always thought Bloomington was fairly progressive with Indiana University situated there. At least it seemed that way when I used to participate in the Hilly Hundred bike tour years ago.
Town vs. Gown...
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 07, 2020 07:04AM
Sam3

I attended graduate school there. It is progressive in Bloomington, but that is largely limited to the city limits. Anecdotally, people of color would tell us they ducked while driving through certain towns on the road from Indianapolis.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 07, 2020 07:49AM
samintx
What is going to happen in Nov? I fear putting any political signs in my yard. I live in a MAGA hotbed.

I hear you.

For years I wasn't allowed to show any political support due to my job. After I retired I was looking forward to letting my feelings be known. Now I'm afraid of what would happen if I did.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 07, 2020 07:53AM
RgrF
They'd have done that ten years ago as well, Indiana is basically a southern state situated in the mid-west.

How are race problems in California going? Pretty bad, last I heard. Well as of yesterday anyway.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: July 07, 2020 07:59AM
One of my Trumpy friends went to school with one of the perps. She was surprised and offended. I told her that was why I was trying to ween her off DJT and his ilk. She said this was like apples and oranges. I told her she must realize racist Trump is the reason this is more+likely to get much worse. No reply. Indiana has always been a hot bed of klan and racist activity. We had a klan governor. Towns like Bloomington (Indiana University) and West Lafayette (Purdue) are rare flowers and exceptions for the most part. Not sure about South Bend (Notre Dame).
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 07, 2020 08:55AM
cbelt3
Sam3
Town vs. Gown...

Breaking Away
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 07, 2020 10:02AM
The state that inflicted VP Pence on the nation.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 07, 2020 10:57AM
sekker
Did I fall asleep and land in an alternate universe?

Yes (but you have LOTS of company) confused smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 07, 2020 01:15PM
This shit is heartbreaking.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 07, 2020 01:34PM
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 07, 2020 01:51PM
rjmacs
This shit is heartbreaking.

It is, but then there were people of various ethnicities that interceded on his behalf, putting themselves at risk.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 07, 2020 04:01PM
I hope these racists get jail time.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: July 07, 2020 06:12PM
The FBI is investigating as a hate crime the assault of a Black man by a group of white men at a southern Indiana lake, the victim’s attorney said Tuesday...

...I’m sad that this happened, honestly,” Booker said. “I just wanted to have a good time with some friends.”

Liell also complained that law enforcement officers with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources “did not move rapidly enough” in response to reports of the attack. She said their failure to make arrests at the scene warrants further investigation from other law enforcement agencies.

Bloomington mayor John Hamilton said at the news conference that police continue to search for two people accused of knocking a woman unconscious and dragging a man with their car at a protest over the assault on Booker
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 07, 2020 08:10PM
Lemon Drop
RgrF

How are race problems in California going? Pretty bad, last I heard. Well as of yesterday anyway.

Really depends on the part of the state you're asking about. Large urban/liberal leaning areas like SD, LA, SF/Bay Area- there's at least a feeling of common understanding that there's still a big problem that hasn't been solved yet. Yet even then, there are still "klancaves" of "Patriots" who cling to a burning cross. Here's a shopper in Santee not 15 miles from downtown San Diego a few months ago - purportedly protesting about having to wear a mask inside the store. Was he a real member? Probably not, but it's not called Klantee for nothin'…

Rest of a very large state which is largely rural? - still pretty much ignorant overall - and in many cases an on-going part of the problem in who they elect to office. Yet - even this can't be compared to what goes on in many parts of the South.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 08:11PM by bfd.
Date: July 07, 2020 08:22PM
What bfd described.

You left Washington state to return to your roots in SC an then adopted a stance essentially defending your Southern neighbors, by that standard I'd not be expected to speak for California but for my native New England - in this case Maine.

The French and English are co-exiting well enough, that hasn't always been the case.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 08, 2020 06:24AM
I do kinda like how the guy in bfd’s photo protests mask wearing by wearing one. Call it a win for everyone: I could at least buy produce without being infected.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020