advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Major retailers to states: Mandate face masks now
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 07, 2020 02:56PM
I’m not sure if it is good or bad that the federal government isn’t taking the lead. Given Trump, he would probably mandate that people not wear masks. Anyway, retailers can mandate this themselves for their stores. No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service.

[apnews.com]

NEW YORK (AP) — Retailers have a message for state governors: Please make everyone wear a face mask.

The Retail Industry Leaders Association, which represents Target, Home Depot and other major chains, believes that the hodgepodge of rules around the country have created confusion for shoppers and that has lead to conflict between customers and workers trying to enforce store rules.

The National Governors Association said Tuesday that its members are discussing the letter and others like it from different retail groups.

Social media is full of videos capturing clashes between those who are asked to wear masks, and employees who are under orders to make sure people wear them.

“Retailers are alarmed with the instances of hostility and violence front-line employees are experiencing by a vocal minority of customers,” said RILA President Brian Dodge.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 02:59PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Major retailers to states: Mandate face masks now
Posted by: hal
Date: July 07, 2020 03:07PM
Speedy
I’m not sure if it is good or bad that the federal government isn’t taking the lead. Given Trump, he would probably mandate that people not wear masks. Anyway, retailers can mandate this themselves for their stores. No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service.

it's always easy to spot people that have never worked retail...

the mask thing is a @#$%& nightmare for retail stores.

You've got retail clerks that are suddenly in a position of authority making demands on people. They have never done this before and most don't know how to without starting a conflict. Some of these conflicts are ending in injury or worse...

It is so much easier to get your customers to go along when the president and the governor are telling everyone that this is what they HAVE to do.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 07, 2020 03:24PM
hal
Speedy

You've got retail clerks that are suddenly in a position of authority making demands on people. They have never done this before and most don't know how to without starting a conflict. Some of these conflicts are ending in injury or worse...

It is so much easier to get your customers to go along when the president and the governor are telling everyone that this is what they HAVE to do.

working in a retail environment is one of the most difficult things to do now, given everyone's perceived entitlement. we expect them to be there no matter what else is shut down, and now we are expecting them to be police. I fully expect that we'll see "bouncers" at the door of many retail establishments in the near future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 03:25PM by mrbigstuff.
Date: July 07, 2020 03:33PM
hal
Speedy

I’ve shopped (a Walmart in Texas) where masks are required. People were funneled through an entrance with a person checking that customers were wearing masks. No mask, no entry.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 07, 2020 03:35PM
mrbigstuff
I fully expect that we'll see "bouncers" at the door of many retail establishments in the near future.

Someone posted the idea that since the bars are closed, hire the out-of-work bar bouncers to staff the stores.

Posted by: hal
Date: July 07, 2020 03:41PM
honestly, it wouldn't be the first time that I fell for your idiot act... but being at a walmart for 5 minutes and seeing no problem doesn't mean a damned thing.

the upscale market that I've been going to throughout all of this now keeps a sheriff officer on duty during open hours. I asked and was told that they were having more than one incident a day, so they might as well keep the guy on full time.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 07, 2020 03:41PM
So much failed leadership.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 07, 2020 03:47PM
100% Trump's fault with his lies and blathering. (Yes, MAGA Irony in this photo..)

Date: July 07, 2020 04:04PM
hal
honestly, it wouldn't be the first time that I fell for your idiot act... but being at a walmart for 5 minutes and seeing no problem doesn't mean a damned thing..

This idiot was shopping for a battery charger with his son for his car. Automotive is in the far side of the store from the entrance (the second entrance was closed). We had to wait a few minutes for help because the auto shop was also closed and the chargers were behind that door. I saw no one shopping maskless.

Posted by: bfd
Date: July 07, 2020 06:17PM
[www.distractify.com]

At least for once, this nonsense actually worked out quite well for someone in a local retail position … the GFM page set up by someone he didn't even know - and who doesn't even live here - is now up to $105,450!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 07, 2020 10:23PM
The biggest retailer in our little burg is Wal-Mart, which has had employee masks and arrows on the floor and guided entryways and someone out front since March. This is rural TN, where no one wears a mask who isn’t part of my immediate family for apparently in serious risk.

I’m not surprised national retailers have taken a leading roll here; they have actual leadership. A bit late, but still.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 07, 2020 10:52PM
There's no escaping it, they're everywhere.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 08, 2020 04:41AM
Honestly, ignore Trump. Each and every Governor can pass a statewide order and get the same results.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 08, 2020 07:39AM
I just went to Lowes to pick up some things this AM. The first cashier I walked past upon entering had a mask...around his neck. There were several customers sort of half wearing masks. Some not at all. Some employees the same. It was pretty sorry.

Posted by: rgG
Date: July 08, 2020 09:11AM
bazookaman
I just went to Lowes to pick up some things this AM. The first cashier I walked past upon entering had a mask...around his neck. There were several customers sort of half wearing masks. Some not at all. Some employees the same. It was pretty sorry.

HD just mandated employees wearing masks a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think they will ever mandate customers wear masks, unless it is a government mandate. HD is too afraid of offending a customer. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 08, 2020 10:49AM
rgG
bazookaman

HD just mandated employees wearing masks a couple of weeks ago. I don’t think they will ever mandate customers wear masks, unless it is a government mandate. HD is too afraid of offending a customer. sad smiley

HD might not. But our governor did. Sorry. Forgot to mention that in NC, you are required to wear a mask in public.

Posted by: pdq
Date: July 08, 2020 11:11AM
HD definitely doesn't mandate a mask around here.

Last time I was there (maybe 10 days ago), I'd say it's less than 50% of customers masked.

In fact, it's probably the fewest masks I've seen worn in a store around here (MN).
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 08, 2020 11:20AM
bazookaman
rgG
bazookaman

HD might not. But our governor did. Sorry. Forgot to mention that in NC, you are required to wear a mask in public.

And that is what it will take to get all the retailers on board. They can then say, hey it isn’t us, it’s the government.
Our governor doesn’t have the nerve to possibly offend his base, with a mandate. A few cities have passed rules of their own, which are in conflict with his decree, so we will see if the state tries to reign them in.
This is just so stupid. Just wear a damn mask when you are I sure around other people.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 08, 2020 11:50AM
Hilarious how all the governors should mandate, but the one person capable of making it apply to the nation gets a pass from responsibility.

Says right there in every map, UNITED states, but hey let’s just leave it up to chance and good will, lest someone is forced to be responsible for their neighbor. What a tragedy that would be. Horrific, worse than dying on a ventilator apparently.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 08, 2020 07:45PM
We have retailers that refuse to allow masks. They claim it is a security issue. Of course, we also have a county commissioner who claims that the doctors are just making it up to get insurance money. He should know, he has a high school diploma.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018