advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump withdrawals from WHO
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 07, 2020 03:48PM
The Trump administration has notified Congress and the United Nations that the United States is formally withdrawing from the World Health Organization, multiple officials tell CNN, a move that comes amid a rising number of coronavirus cases throughout the Americas in the last week alone.

There is a one-year timeline on the withdrawal. If Biden is elected, he can reverse the decision.

[edition.cnn.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump withdrawals from WHO
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 07, 2020 04:00PM
By law, (whose, I don't know) notice of one year must be given before actual withdrawal, with financial commitments filled for that year. If Trump gets drained with his swamp, we might be OK with WHO, though trust for the US will erode more.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 07, 2020 04:53PM
....if only Trump's heart could grow *** times bigger.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: timg
Date: July 07, 2020 05:37PM
The WHO is in China's back pocket. I'm not sure it's a bad thing to pull out.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 07, 2020 05:44PM
timg

please explain
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 07, 2020 06:18PM
.....he also doesn't like to use a condom......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 07, 2020 07:05PM
hal
timg

please explain

Current head of the WHO was hand picked by China and isn't even a Medical Doctor.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 07, 2020 07:12PM
He probably thinks the current Dr. WHO shouldn't be 'a girl'.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 07, 2020 08:34PM
WHO Director

[en.wikipedia.org]

I do not see how he was picked by China.

In 1986, Tedros received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the University of Asmara.[13] In 1992, Tedros received a Master of Science degree in Immunology of Infectious Diseases from London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine at the University of London.[6][14][8] In 2000, he earned a Doctor of Philosophy in community health from the University of Nottingham for research investigating the effects of dams on the transmission of malaria in the Tigray region of Ethiopia.[15]

Seems highly qualified to me to deal with public health. Many MDs are terrible at public health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 08:36PM by sekker.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 07, 2020 08:38PM
timg
hal
timg

please explain

Current head of the WHO was hand picked by China and isn't even a Medical Doctor.

It is true he doesn't have an MD: his training is Biology (BS), Immunology of Infectious Diseases (MS), and Community Health (PhD), the last two degrees earned in London. He served as the Minister of Health for Ethiopia for 7 years.

As far as "hand-picked by China", that's @#$%&. He was elected overwhelmingly by the World Health Assembly, with 133 votes out of 185.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 07, 2020 09:57PM
sekker
WHO Director

[en.wikipedia.org]

I do not see how he was picked by China.

In 1986, Tedros received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the University of Asmara.[13] In 1992, Tedros received a Master of Science degree in Immunology of Infectious Diseases from London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine at the University of London.[6][14][8] In 2000, he earned a Doctor of Philosophy in community health from the University of Nottingham for research investigating the effects of dams on the transmission of malaria in the Tigray region of Ethiopia.[15]

Seems highly qualified to me to deal with public health. Many MDs are terrible at public health.

Which begs the question, timg, where did you get your "information"?

Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 07, 2020 10:10PM
aaaaaaaand <crickets>

Thanks for playing!
Date: July 07, 2020 10:12PM
Well, let's give him more than 13 minutes to respond. :-)

Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 07, 2020 11:33PM
aaaaaaaaaand <still crickets>

100 minutes and counting...

=TC
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 07, 2020 11:40PM
These are the same Dumbf talking points from May.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 08, 2020 12:39AM
timg
hal
timg

please explain

Two questions:

1. What is your evidence that China hand-picked this guy and why is this a problem?

2. Whyon earth would you want somebody leading a public health organization to be a medical doctor? That is absolutely the wrong specialty to lead this kind of organization.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 08, 2020 10:12AM
BTW, many people think “begs the question” means the same thing as “raises the question.”

It doesn’t.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 08, 2020 11:17AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
BTW, many people think “begs the question” means the same thing as “raises the question.”

It doesn’t.

Philosophical pedantry: "begs the question" is a fallacy with many names; e.g., circular reasoning, assuming the conclusion and petitio principii. It's when in an argument someone has an explicit or implicit premise that is essentially the same as the conclusion of the argument. IOW, assuming the truth of the conclusion in an argument to justify the conclusion.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 04:27PM by Ted King.
Date: July 08, 2020 03:54PM
Sorry for the delayed response, I was busy with real life ...

hand picked - to quote the same wikipedia article one of you linked to:

During its 140th meeting in January 2017, the Executive Board of the WHO shortlisted Tedros as the front runner out of six candidates through two rounds of secret voting. He collected the most votes during both rounds.[citation needed] Tedros "was supported by a bloc of African and Asian countries, including China, which has considerable influence with those members" while "the US, UK and Canada... lent their support to... the British doctor David Nabarro." One observer called it "a really nasty" election.

Were any of you aware that every other Director of the WHO has been a medical doctor? Guess I'm not the only one who thinks that's not a bad idea.

If you objectively look at the way the WHO treated and even praised China for their initial coronavirus response, it was worse than FOX news and Trump early in his presidency.

China, through their initial inaction and attempted cover up of the crisis and subsequent refusal to allow outside medical experts in as well as their obvious unreporting of the severity of the disease in China, should be condemned not praised!

OK, carry on with the bashing with your biased, uninformed rhetoric.

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 08, 2020 07:28PM
timg

During its 140th meeting in January 2017, the Executive Board of the WHO shortlisted Tedros as the front runner out of six candidates through two rounds of secret voting. He collected the most votes during both rounds.[citation needed] Tedros "was supported by a bloc of African and Asian countries, including China, which has considerable influence with those members" while "the US, UK and Canada... lent their support to... the British doctor David Nabarro." One observer called it "a really nasty" election.

Were any of you aware that every other Director of the WHO has been a medical doctor? Guess I'm not the only one who thinks that's not a bad idea.

If you objectively look at the way the WHO treated and even praised China for their initial coronavirus response, it was worse than FOX news and Trump early in his presidency.

China, through their initial inaction and attempted cover up of the crisis and subsequent refusal to allow outside medical experts in as well as their obvious unreporting of the severity of the disease in China, should be condemned not praised!

Given the views of the current White House, not surprising that they supported a white dude instead of a person from Africa despite both being trained in the UK.

I live in a world of public health and MDs, and plenty of fantastic public health experts do not have MDs, and there are more than enough MDs spewing non-sense (such as Senator Paul).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2020 07:29PM by sekker.
Date: July 08, 2020 07:42PM
sekker
timg

Given the views of the current White House, not surprising that they supported a white dude instead of a person from Africa despite both being trained in the UK.

I live in a world of public health and MDs, and plenty of fantastic public health experts do not have MDs, and there are more than enough MDs spewing non-sense (such as Senator Paul).

I have nothing really against public health people running the WHO. this guy just happens to be the first. the problem I have is the fact that China strongly supported his election and in return they got wiffle ball (not even softball) treatment on the whole corona virus fiasco.

They should have been held accountable for their actions that led to this pandemic.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 08, 2020 10:45PM
They should have been held accountable for their actions that led to this pandemic.

WHO isn't a judicial body and has never been in the business of assigning blame, at least not without a remedy attached. It's in their name - they are a health organization that has been politicized.

Good thing our own health agencies haven't been subject to serving political needs before health needs.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 09, 2020 08:54AM
timg
sekker
timg

I have nothing really against public health people running the WHO. this guy just happens to be the first. the problem I have is the fact that China strongly supported his election and in return they got wiffle ball (not even softball) treatment on the whole corona virus fiasco.

They have a billion-plus people. Viral outbreaks occur all the time, in all countries - it’s not like they come labelled as to the virus involved, known vs new. And they warned the world about 1) a new viral outbreak, 2) caused by a novel coronavirus, 3) which appeared to be quite infectious, 4) causing this set of symptoms, and 5) probably arising in this particular setting. And this was in mid January.

At best, any rational examination can fault them for being, perhaps, a week late. And then they contained their own outbreak very effectively, offering the world a model to follow.

Months, not weeks, but months later, with this clear example of what needed to be done, our leader had yet to put together a rational, national plan to address the outbreak, preferring instead to dismiss it as a “hoax”, to blame anyone and everyone else, and to wish it away. And so we ended up as the largest outbreak in the world by far, with our closest competition being countries led by conservative populists who rejected science and followed Trump’s inaction to the letter.

The US became a textbook case of how not to handle a pandemic. Don’t blame China for that.
Date: July 09, 2020 05:16PM
pdq
timg
sekker
timg

They have a billion-plus people. Viral outbreaks occur all the time, in all countries - it’s not like they come labelled as to the virus involved, known vs new. And they warned the world about 1) a new viral outbreak, 2) caused by a novel coronavirus, 3) which appeared to be quite infectious, 4) causing this set of symptoms, and 5) probably arising in this particular setting. And this was in mid January.

At best, any rational examination can fault them for being, perhaps, a week late. And then they contained their own outbreak very effectively, offering the world a model to follow.

Months, not weeks, but months later, with this clear example of what needed to be done, our leader had yet to put together a rational, national plan to address the outbreak, preferring instead to dismiss it as a “hoax”, to blame anyone and everyone else, and to wish it away. And so we ended up as the largest outbreak in the world by far, with our closest competition being countries led by conservative populists who rejected science and followed Trump’s inaction to the letter.

The US became a textbook case of how not to handle a pandemic. Don’t blame China for that.

ftw smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018