advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"How Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders joined forces to craft a bold, progressive agenda"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 09, 2020 11:02AM
[www.vox.com]

A “unity” task force created by Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders has released a detailed set of policy recommendations for an incoming Biden administration, if he wins the November election.

The administration it imagines — while not so progressive that it would embrace plans like Medicare-for-all or a jobs guarantee — would push for one of the largest public sector investments in decades. On Wednesday night, a senior campaign aide described Biden’s forthcoming economic plan as the “largest mobilization of public investments in procurement, infrastructure and [research and development] since World War II.”

It’s also a sign of Biden’s success in his ongoing push to unite the party: Numerous progressives on the task force chosen by Sanders told Vox they were happy with the mark they made on the final product.
- - - - -
“Much like FDR faced a structural crisis of economic insecurity, we’re at a similar place,” said Jared Bernstein, Biden’s former chief economic adviser in the Obama White House and a member of the economy task force. “The vice president recognizes that the extent of market failure here is not something you can fix with a Band-Aid, and that structural reforms are necessary.”

Biden and Sanders each praised the report in a joint statement on Wednesday.

“Though the end result is not what I or my supporters would have written alone, the task forces have created a good policy blueprint that will move this country in a much-needed progressive direction and substantially improve the lives of working families throughout our country,” Sanders said.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "How Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders joined forces to craft a bold, progressive agenda"
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 09, 2020 11:12AM
Wonder who will find more fault with this compromise bill.

Trump or AOC?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Re: "How Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders joined forces to craft a bold, progressive agenda"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 09, 2020 12:39PM
Ombligo

Trump or AOC?

It's not a bill, it's just a set of values like a party platform. Biden may try to fulfill some or none of it when he takes office.

AOC has matured as a politician since she took office. She supports Biden. This policy is a concession to the progressive vision as it existed under candidate Sanders. Biden didn't have to do this but it's wise that he has.

At this point who cares what Trump thinks?
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 09, 2020 12:48PM
Lemon Drop
Ombligo

Trump or AOC?

It's not a bill, it's just a set of values like a party platform. Biden may try to fulfill some or none of it when he takes office.

AOC has matured as a politician since she took office. She supports Biden. This policy is a concession to the progressive vision as it existed under candidate Sanders. Biden didn't have to do this but it's wise that he has.

I agree, but I don't think it's a concession. It's all reasonable and doable.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 09, 2020 12:56PM
True, "bill" was not the correct choice of term. My bad.

I still expect whining from the right and far left though.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: July 09, 2020 01:01PM
vision63
Lemon Drop
Ombligo

Trump or AOC?

I agree, but I don't think it's a concession. It's all reasonable and doable.

It is but platforms are rarely fulfilled. Just being realistic.
I do believe that Biden will try his best to push through progressive reforms.
A Dem Senate would help.
He's going to be busy undoing the harm done the last 4 years, to the extent that it can be undone.
Posted by: Pam
Date: July 09, 2020 02:04PM
Lemon Drop
Ombligo

Trump or AOC?

AOC has said all along that when negotiating you don’t start at the end. Your opening bid has to be bold otherwise you’ll get little to nothing. This compromise is right up her alley. Doesn’t mean she won’t push for more, but she’ll support it.
Date: July 09, 2020 02:14PM
I agree with you Lemon Drop. I like the boldness of it however. If we can get a massive infrastructure endeavor going that would mean many millions of jobs that could create a lot of good times.

I think AOC has become a student of Nancy Pelosi while keeping her character. I could be wrong but it's what I detect and suspect.
Date: July 09, 2020 02:26PM
Yes Leader Pelosi has mentored her well. How lucky are these young women!? I like and admire AOC, she's got a great future in leadership.

That Senate looks better all the time, we can dream. And vote, of course.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 09, 2020 06:21PM

I love gossiping about AOC with you in the afternoon

A reminder that the main impetus for what appears to be the 'progressive/leftie etc' here in the NYC region comes from general citizen dissatisfaction with the Democratic machine politics of decades.
They are looking to replace the Old Boys.
It's especially smelly here in NYC.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 09, 2020 06:30PM
A reminder that the main impetus for what appears to be the 'progressive/leftie etc' here in the NYC region comes from general citizen dissatisfaction with the Democratic machine politics of decades.
They are looking to replace the Old Boys.
It's especially smelly here in NYC.

This happens everywhere that single party politics dominates. The entire state of Ohio probably smelled as bad as NYC.
Date: July 09, 2020 08:48PM
If you defeat them, then you defeat them. Then you gotta keep defeating them while newbies are trying to defeat you. As long as people tell the truth let the games begin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020