AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
How cases have risen since states reopened
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 09, 2020 02:21PM
Not sure, but this may have been a mistake:
[www.nytimes.com]

Was ENTIRELY avoidable

Niece got an email from her college today saying, yeah well we said we were bringing you all back this fall but we may need to rethink that....

Feeling overwhelmed by this thing today. No end in sight. No coordinated response, certainly not here in South Carolina. No national leadership. Random mask rules in some cities but not all, nothing in rural areas.

Hospitals filling up. Elective procedures postponed again. Cases and deaths exploding. Testing delays up to a week.

And for the first time I know someone who has died from it, who likely won't be the last. Childhood friend of my Mom, aged 75. Had lung cancer but succumbed to COVID on July 4. His daugher, age 50, in the ICU on a ventilator right now. They had no contact with each other when infected, got it from different sources but neither knew where.

I have to fly back to Seattle this weekend to take care of some real estate/moving business and a son with health issues (non-COVID). Have N95 masks and so far nobody seated in my row...

The normal has become the dreaded impossible.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How cases have risen since states reopened
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 09, 2020 03:15PM
Sadly, Trump would be in a unique position to lead the country with his appeal to rural counties and red states. Trump is their guy. If he said we must do this, they would do it.

(Or, maybe they'd suddenly remember he's a NYC real estate con man and ignore him after all. They would have of course not listened to Obama because, well, you know.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 03:15PM by Acer.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 09, 2020 03:17PM
I agree Acer, he's the President and people would listen.
Heard an Ohio sheriff interviewed on CNN; he refuses to enforce the Gov's mask ordinance. Said he'd do it though if Trump ordered it.

the lack of national leadership and coordination is killing people
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 09, 2020 03:19PM
“Feeling overwhelmed by this thing today.”

Sorry to hear that. Things in the U.S are going to get worse before they get better. Take care of yourself (and your family). You know what to do.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 09, 2020 03:29PM
I read this earlier today and was looking at the outliers...

Several states opened early and did just fine: ND, Iowa, Nebraska, NH, RI - their charts on that NYT page look just like one would have hoped for when they first reopened. What did they do right that everyone else did wrong?
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 09, 2020 03:38PM
hal

Several states opened early and did just fine: ND, Iowa, Nebraska, NH, RI - their charts on that NYT page look just like one would have hoped for when they first reopened. What did they do right that everyone else did wrong?

Iowa...I'm living here and they are just goddam lucky. Hard to see your kids crying because they lost a 57 year old teacher to Covid19. Meat processing plants were a s#itshow. Masks not being worn in public. They have had to close down some summer events but that decision was left to local government and not Gov. Kim Reynolds aka siren singing Trumps song practically note for note. It will be interesting to see if she can put together a cohesive plan for opening schools.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 03:39PM by MacArtist.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 09, 2020 04:09PM
hal

I don't think this applies to RI, but some of those other states may not have the elderly population living in close quarters that others have, and not in facilities with multiple staff coming and going. A full 62% of residents here who died of C19 were living in closed facilities. It's criminal, actually, and I hope that it's not repeated and something can be learned from this.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 09, 2020 05:34PM
Lemon Drop
I agree Acer, he's the President and people would listen.
Heard an Ohio sheriff interviewed on CNN; he refuses to enforce the Gov's mask ordinance. Said he'd do it though if Trump ordered it.

the lack of national leadership and coordination is killing people

National leadership is non-existent, but that sheriff is a different problem entirely.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 09, 2020 06:05PM
Lemon Drop

I have to fly back to Seattle this weekend to take care of some real estate/moving business and a son with health issues (non-COVID). Have N95 masks and so far nobody seated in my row...

This is a god awful time to have to travel for any reason. We know you are as able as anyone is in taking care of your self but maybe this might be a good time to bite the $ bullet and get yourself into a first class seat. Have a safe trip - please!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 10, 2020 12:45AM
mrbigstuff
hal

I don't think this applies to RI, but some of those other states may not have the elderly population living in close quarters that others have, and not in facilities with multiple staff coming and going. A full 62% of residents here who died of C19 were living in closed facilities. It's criminal, actually, and I hope that it's not repeated and something can be learned from this.

RI did not really open early. On a per capita basis the state experienced cases and deaths in line with its neighboring states of MA and CT. RI is 3rd per capita for cases and 5th for deaths, and its opening was at a point where cases had fallen for a couple weeks unlike some of the other early openers.

NH outside of its urban areas in the south of the state never really peaked. The same holds for the other two northern New England states - ME and VT.

I suspect some of the same factors for NH, ME and VT hold for those other states mentioned. A few urban centers with lower population densities for the rest of the state. Up to now that may have been enough. But ND, Nebraska and Iowa all are listed among the increasing case rate states on the NYT page - [www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2020 12:50AM by JoeH.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018