advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Former Minneapolis Mayor pens NYT piece
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 11, 2020 08:30AM
On how rich liberals fight critical change in cities and empower the police.

A good read.

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Former Minneapolis Mayor pens NYT piece
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 11, 2020 12:34PM
Interesting but not sure I buy his premise, that "rich white liberals" ask the police to beat up on people in poor neighborhoods. I don't think that is what is happening. It is possible to have an effective public safety system in place that does not abuse people.

Minority and poor communities are in some cases "over policed" and as we know very badly policed, but I think it has much more to do with the culture inside police depts, the lack of political power in the people being policed, and the lack of accountability in local government. Local governments like the one this former mayor once led. He's passing the buck.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 11, 2020 12:54PM
Lemon Drop
Interesting but not sure I buy his premise, that "rich white liberals" ask the police to beat up on people in poor neighborhoods. I don't think that is what is happening. It is possible to have an effective public safety system in place that does not abuse people.

Minority and poor communities are in some cases "over policed" and as we know very badly policed, but I think it has much more to do with the culture inside police depts, the lack of political power in the people being policed, and the lack of accountability in local government. Local governments like the one this former mayor once led. He's passing the buck.

I think the reality is more nuanced, and a more delicate combination of these two things - requests for service on one side, and the culture of policing within departments.

People with privilege (including "rich white liberals") regularly invoke the police in circumstances where there is neither need nor justification. This cultural practice is especially problematic in gentrifying urban areas, where worlds of privilege and precarity intersect.

It's true that the folks who call cops on anyone they don't know don't have the power to tell police how to treat their targets. That should be a matter for civilian authorities to decide, and enforce.

It's also a real problem that when neighborhood challenges arise, many urban areas have few and/or severely under-resourced support programs. This leads to police being summoned to entirely inappropriate situations, being asked to do work for which they aren't trained, and applying inappropriate tools to problems that occur. This leads to an especially pernicious predicament for residents - when they see a problem, they can avoid the police (safer) and hope the problem resolves itself, or they can call the police (unsafe) and hope that nothing unduly violent or dangerous happens.

Everyone is stuck in that situation, no matter their color or privilege.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 11, 2020 09:03PM
Read that yesterday and tend to agree with the premise.

Interesting but not sure I buy his premise, that "rich white liberals" ask the police to beat up on people in poor neighborhoods.

His is a her.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 12, 2020 09:00AM
I found her arguments thoughtful and nuanced. Also challenging me to think how I might be blocking change whether I realize it or not.

I didn’t live or work in the Twin Cities when she was Mayor, but Minneapolis does not have the best reputation for good management. Add less than ideal admin she inherited, was not a good time for change. Another former Mayor has recently gone on the record saying 4 of the last mayors have tried to change the police department but all failed including him.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 12, 2020 11:14AM
RgrF
Read that yesterday and tend to agree with the premise.

Interesting but not sure I buy his premise, that "rich white liberals" ask the police to beat up on people in poor neighborhoods.

His is a her.

thank you for the correction. I zoomed straight to the text and didn't see the mayor's name.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018