advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Uh-oh. I've been summoned for jury duty
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 11, 2020 08:05PM
My 5th notice since I moved here seven years ago.

How do trials happen with social distancing? I presume we'll all be wearing masks. Not looking forward to it.

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Uh-oh. I've been summoned for jury duty
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 11, 2020 08:33PM
steve...
How do trials happen with social distancing?

Zoom?

Does this court have a website showing which groups of jurors are being called in each day? Might be interested to monitor leading up to your date to see if they even seem to be having jury trials. Might also have info on precautions that they're taking.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 11, 2020 09:44PM
It really sucks to be in a CROWDED room these days.

I moved across county line. I did not yet sell the old place. I plan to avoid registering at DMV with the new address as long as possible, since I do not want to be called for Jury Duty in the new county. On the other hand, I just now realized it's been 3 years since the last one, so they may call me in the old county anytime now. Oops.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 12, 2020 06:25AM
I'm just waiting to be called. I was last February but had to delay it due to being out of town. I was told to expect a recall in April or May, then the courts closed. I have to be on the shortlist to be called back.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 12, 2020 09:04AM
steve...

How do trials happen with social distancing? I presume we'll all be wearing masks. Not looking forward to it.

Don't they have a limit on how often you can be called?
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 12, 2020 09:35AM
Janit
steve...

Don't they have a limit on how often you can be called?

I've only had to go to the courthouse one time, the others were all cancelled.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 12, 2020 09:40AM
....it may vary by state but mine will only allow 1 per 3 years....if they call you again, you can send them copy of last jury duty service letter as proof that you already served......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 12, 2020 09:48AM
I was summoned at the beginning of June to begin jury duty three weeks ago. The night before my two week service started, I called the number as directed in the summons and was told the state supreme court had postponed all trials for my time period to serve. Next time I’m summoned I will be exempt because I will be 70+ years old.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 12, 2020 02:12PM
NewtonMP2100
....it may vary by state but mine will only allow 1 per 3 years....if they call you again, you can send them copy of last jury duty service letter as proof that you already served......

Depends on the state and sometimes which court in some states. Here it used to be if you were summoned, but not called in to be available for selection, then 2 years before the next summons. If you did go in the period before the next jury summons was 3 years.

They took out the 2 year bit a while back. But someone finally got the state office that did the jury summons to either properly use the 1980's era code they got through MIT, or replaced it with newer selection software that randomized selections better. I used to get summons every 2 years like clockwork, other people around me had never received one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020