advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
New Lincoln Project Ad: "Law and Order"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 12, 2020 06:45AM
[www.youtube.com]

"Trump is the most corrupt president in American history. There's only one way to end his crime spree... throw him and his crooks out of office."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Lincoln Project Ad: "Law and Order"
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 12, 2020 08:07AM
Excellent
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 12, 2020 09:29AM
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

True in politics. I think the Lincoln Project is doing a good job making some Republicans feel embarrassed if they continue to support Trump.

I think that while we're all highly entertained by their videos, it's good for Dems to keep in mind that what this particular group ultimately wants is a return to George W Bush era Republicanism. They are amassing a following that after this election will turn its attention to re-electing those types of Republicans.

They are not there to help Democrats, their goal is to cut out the cancer that Trump and his enablers are to their party, and heal the GOP.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 12, 2020 09:42AM
Lemon Drop
They are not there to help Democrats, their goal is to cut out the cancer that Trump and his enablers are to their party, and heal the GOP.

That’s okay with me. I’m all for a two party (or multiparty) system, as long as both are rational and offer up candidates that are not monsters like Trump.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 12, 2020 10:31AM
Monster is a great word for what they created, but keep in mind that the NeverTrumper strategists leading these political initiatives now are the very people who created the toxic political environment that made the election of Trump possible.

For decades they cynically used appeals to bigotry and fear to advance an agenda that lined their own and their buddy's pockets, ignored science if it didn't suit their profit and power motives, and did anything necessary to keep American politics a bastion of rich white privilege.

They're sorry and embarrassed now by Trump, but it's too late for them. That toxic environment will still be here long after Trump leaves office. I think it will take a generation, at a minimum, to return civility and sanity to American politics. We can do it, but it's going to take a lot of time and work.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 12, 2020 02:03PM
I'd be happier with George H W Bush era Republicanism than his son's era. The ideologues had not taken over the GOP at that point, that started happening a few years later during the Clinton administration.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 12, 2020 03:46PM
George H W Bush was in the Nixon White House. He was at the very least deeply involved with Iran-Contra. That was after the so called "Party of Lincoln" was over halfway down the slippery slope into the current hell.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 12, 2020 08:36PM
Republican Voters Against Trump:

Trump Voters: "It's OK to Change Your Mind. We Did.":

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 08:38PM by btfc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 12, 2020 09:53PM
pdq
Lemon Drop

That’s okay with me. I’m all for a two party (or multiparty) system, as long as both are rational and offer up candidates that are not monsters like Trump.

I was just about to say the same thing. TRUMP is an anomaly.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 12, 2020 11:06PM
Filliam H. Muffman
George H W Bush was in the Nixon White House. He was at the very least deeply involved with Iran-Contra. That was after the so called "Party of Lincoln" was over halfway down the slippery slope into the current hell.

I said that era, not him personally. By the time of his son the party had gone almost completely down that slope. 12 or so years before there were still a significant number of moderate GOP and some actual compromise being done. The party was not completely in the hands of those catering to the religious reactionaries on the right, and others of that ilk.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 13, 2020 12:41AM
At the risk of repeating myself: Trump is the symptom, not the problem. Whenever he leaves he'll leave behind him that 30-35% of truly despicable, hateful, racist right wing group of voters.

Another less abrasive Trump, maybe in the form of a Tucker Carlson, will one day show up and again harness that hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 13, 2020 06:38AM
I’ve listened to the podcasts by The Lincoln Project. They are good citizens who realized they’ve been conned for years by the GOP. They despise the racism, and Trump was the final straw.

They are true Patriots who are putting country before party.

Right now, that’s enough for me to support them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 06:39AM by sekker.
Date: July 13, 2020 06:56AM
They haven't been conned so much as they let the con take over their management of what was the GOP.

Once this is over and Trump banished, they'll be back using their new found legitimacy to obstruct anything resembling progressive lawmaking.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 13, 2020 07:07AM
RgrF
They haven't been conned so much as they let the con take over their management of what was the GOP.

Once this is over and Trump banished, they'll be back using their new found legitimacy to obstruct anything resembling progressive lawmaking.

You are so correct. They will also hold it over Biden's head to their bidding.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 13, 2020 10:18AM
Lemon Drop
I think that while we're all highly entertained by their videos, it's good for Dems to keep in mind that what this particular group ultimately wants is a return to George W Bush era Republicanism. They are amassing a following that after this election will turn its attention to re-electing those types of Republicans.

But it's not wrong to enjoy the vivisection, right?

I suspect it's too late to save this elephant, though.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 13, 2020 10:43AM
JoeH
Filliam H. Muffman

I said that era, not him personally. By the time of his son the party had gone almost completely down that slope. 12 or so years before there were still a significant number of moderate GOP and some actual compromise being done. The party was not completely in the hands of those catering to the religious reactionaries on the right, and others of that ilk.

The Christiano-facist parasites started burrowing deep into the Republican party in the late 1960's along with Nixon's Southern Strategy. You need to go back before the racist Dixiecrats started derailing the party in 1948 for me to consider supporting them. Only politicians who are about the same age or older than Moscow Mitch qualify and there are none of those left in party that were solid never-Cheeto from the first primary, through the election.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 13, 2020 11:11AM
[quote="Filliam H. Muffman"
The Christiano-facist parasites started burrowing deep into the Republican party in the late 1960's along with Nixon's Southern Strategy. You need to go back before the racist Dixiecrats started derailing the party in 1948 for me to consider supporting them. Only politicians who are about the same age or older than Moscow Mitch qualify and there are none of those left in party that were solid never-Cheeto from the first primary, through the election.[/quote]

I think what you're referring to is the fright corporate America got back in the '60s. They saw a movement they couldn't either abide or live with. They actually colluded and laid out a strategy that would head off any silly ideas about democracy that were the prevailing winds of the day.

Their plan worked...and here we are!
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 13, 2020 11:29AM
RgrF
[quote="Filliam H. Muffman"

The Christiano-facist parasites started burrowing deep into the Republican party in the late 1960's along with Nixon's Southern Strategy. You need to go back before the racist Dixiecrats started derailing the party in 1948 for me to consider supporting them. Only politicians who are about the same age or older than Moscow Mitch qualify and there are none of those left in party that were solid never-Cheeto from the first primary, through the election.

I think what you're referring to is the fright corporate America got back in the '60s. They saw a movement they couldn't either abide or live with. They actually colluded and laid out a strategy that would head off any silly ideas about democracy that were the prevailing winds of the day.

Yeah, a great many economic conservatives were quite happy to clasp hands with social conservatives - including a LOT of white nationalists - over the last several decades even if they didn't particularly have strong social conservative feelings themselves. And visa versa. An "unholy" alliance for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 11:30AM by Ted King.
Date: July 13, 2020 01:28PM
RgrF
Filliam H. Muffman

I would like a little more information on which companies and some historical documentation on just what they did to believe it was a major factor for very long.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 13, 2020 07:27PM
My links to the 70s return a 404. A perusal of National Review articles from that time might provide some clues but probably nothing definitive. The reference was to a sub rosa planning arrangement that began in the late 60s and gathered a real head of steam about the time Nixon imposed price controls.

As far as involved corporate entities well they were incidental, it was a movement and long range plan evolved among and carried forward by influential CEOs and board chairs so as they moved about so did it. As it turned out, it was the first real step toward the corporate America we have today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 07:29PM by RgrF.
Date: July 13, 2020 07:35PM
So the "saviors" that briefly protected the Republican party from Christians willing to sell out their God for a few racist/bigoted line items in the party platform, were the ones that drove down tax rates on the 0.01% to ratchet up inequality to record levels... What about that should I respect?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 13, 2020 08:03PM
There is nothing to respect, let them keep their guns aimed at cretin like GOP Senators before they aim them back at us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018