Posted by: space-time
Date: July 12, 2020 12:16PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 15k; guess where
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 12, 2020 12:23PM
We're winning. Don't worry.

More than 15,000 new cases of the coronavirus were announced on Sunday in Florida, marking the highest single-day total of known cases in any state since the start of the pandemic.

Florida’s surge soared past the previous record, set in New York, of more than 12,000 cases in a day. That occurred in April, during the worst of the outbreak there, when testing was scarce. And Florida is reporting far fewer deaths than New York.

Florida also saw single-day records in the counties that include Florida’s largest cities, including Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Fort Myers, West Palm Beach, Pensacola and Sarasota.

Florida has recorded more than 269,800 cases, with more than 4,200 total deaths, according to a New York Times database.

South Carolina announced its highest single-day total for coronavirus cases on Saturday, recording more than 2,200 infections. More than 22 percent of tests in the state came back positive on Friday — the highest positivity rate for the state yet, according to health officials.

Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, North Carolina and Oregon also recorded single-day highs Saturday. More than 60,000 new coronavirus cases were announced in the United States on Saturday, more than any day of the pandemic except Friday, when the country recorded more than 68,000 — setting a single-day record for the seventh time in 11 days.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 12, 2020 12:35PM
Florida man sets new record for his state, with

... 15,299 new Covid-19 cases Sunday, the highest number of new cases reported in a single day by any state since the coronavirus pandemic began.

Not to worry. Last week, when new cases were running closer to 10,000 a day he declined to issue a statewide masking order, saying Florida had “stabilized where we’re at”.

Good time to open Disney World, huh? Well, they have to have some fun before they have to go back to schools that are being required to reopen in the fall.

Also in the news, Georgia man takes exception to Atlanta mayor’s decision to revert back to stage 1 Covid restrictions:

Gov. Brian Kemp slammed the Atlanta mayor's decision...saying the action was "merely guidance -- both non-binding and legally unenforceable."

Gee, thanks, guv.

"As clearly stated in my executive orders, no local action can be more or less restrictive, and that rule applies statewide," Kemp wrote...

The Party of Local Control of government strikes again.

This is a uniquely American tragedy, brought to you by the GOP and their anti-science acolytes.
Date: July 12, 2020 12:38PM
Finally, it’s looking like Texas’ recent jump in Covid deaths is not just a fluke:

I guess it’s one way to empty up ICU bed space...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 12:39PM by pdq.
Date: July 12, 2020 12:51PM
Hey Minnesota Man, cases are rising in MN. Yesterday's total of 804 cases is awfully close to the record set back in May of 840 in one day.

Reopened too soon? Not enough restrictions? There is no state-wide mask order, correct?

[www.nytimes.com]
Date: July 12, 2020 01:00PM
They are indeed, LD. But our governor is not pretending everything is hunky dory like we’re seeing from the governor’s offices in Florida, Georgia or Texas (although Abbott, to his credit, is finally starting to slowly come around and accept reality).
Date: July 12, 2020 01:22PM
pdq
They are indeed, LD. But our governor is not pretending everything is hunky dory like we’re seeing from the governor’s offices in Florida, Georgia or Texas (although Abbott, to his credit, is finally starting to slowly come around and accept reality).

Texas is ahead of MN on the mask issue. Walz has not yet issued a statewide universal mask mandate of any kind. Even though public health officials have been saying for a while that it would save a lot of lives.

I don't know what you read, but I'm not seeing Kemp and DeSantis currently pretending that everything is hunky dory. Quite the contrary.

Have you emailed Tim Walz to request a mask mandate for your state?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 12, 2020 02:09PM
Gov. Walz is a DINO.

In Minnesota, the highest number of cases per capita are in counties with packing plants (where, according to the chief justice of the Wisconsin supreme court, the regular folk aren’t working) which the president ordered kept open under the defense procurement act as necessary producers of an essential product. Mask production? Not so much.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 02:56PM by Speedy.
Date: July 12, 2020 03:05PM
Lemon, I think you mistake my criticism of the GOP governors of Florida and Georgia as some sort of a personal attack. It’s not. I think DeSantis (per GOP orthodoxy) clung to relaxed rules and minimized their impact even as the case rates have exploded.

June 16:

Florida gov blames coronavirus rise on ‘overwhelmingly Hispanic’ workers

[Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried argued that the majority of farmworkers left several weeks ago after harvests ended and that the real uptick is in non-agricultural areas]

June 19:

Gov. Ron DeSantis: Coronavirus increase not alarming because new cases are mostly young, healthy

June 26:

“Obviously, a lot of news saying, ‘a huge number of, quote, cases,‘” DeSantis said. “Really nothing has changed in the past week in terms of, we had a big test dump. Ten to 15 percent have been testing positive for really the last week.”

July 6:

Ron DeSantis, on the coronavirus: ‘I think we’ve stabilized at where we’re at'

July 10:

New York delivering COVID-19 supplies after DeSantis said Florida didn’t need them

DeSantis said Florida asked the federal government for more remdesivir after some hospitals reported they were running low.

“I’m happy to report that on Saturday, our hospitals will be receiving additional remdesivir, so we’ve got 427 additional cases coming,” DeSantis said Friday but made no mention of any shipments from New York.

The reality, yesterday:

Florida Surpasses 250K Coronavirus Cases Saturday; 95 New Deaths Reported

The last three days have seen the highest death total increases in the state since the pandemic began. The additional 95 deaths is the second-largest for residents, topped only by the increase of 120 deaths reported Thursday.

Physicians for Social Responsibility said it had gathered more than 1,000 signatures from physicians across Florida calling for the mandatory use of masks in public places as an important step in controlling the spread of the virus.

DeSantis has thus far resisted those calls...

I can’t believe you’re defending him. In fact, I don’t think that you are, but rather pushing back based on a misunderstanding of my intent.

But maybe I’m wrong.
Date: July 12, 2020 03:51PM
You're absolutely correct pdq, I'm not defending DeSantis and Kemp, 2 of my least favorite politicians anywhere.
DeSantis probably can't deliver his state for his boss. Kemp probably can and that's why he's acting like an even bigger a@@ than usual.

They both know their states are in deep do-do though.

I just get weary of the beating up of southerners. Maybe that is personal. Especially when there is no accompanying honest reflection of the state of affairs in one's on backyard.

Look at the 20 states below with mask mandates: They cut across geographical lines. Look at the states with outbreaks: same type of variation. States led by both parties. We can't solve this by attacking other places that aren't home. We need a unified strategy and leadership.

Statewide Mask mandates:
California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 12, 2020 07:27PM
On Friday, DeSantis said Florida’s rise in new cases was due to the fact that the virus has been in Florida longer because of a “flatter curve,” according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“When you have a flatter curve, which Florida has — I mean if you look at the Northeast, they went boom ... Florida, Texas, we’re just much flatter,” DeSantis said. “It means it goes on longer, and so you know we said you wanted a flatter curve but this is drawn out over a longer period of time.”

Yep.

Totally flat as far as the eye can see.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 12, 2020 07:33PM
BTW: This is what an exponential growth curve looks like:

Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 12, 2020 07:42PM

from CBS News:

St. Johns Board of County Commissioners took up the issue of whether masks should be mandated countywide amid the COVID-19 pandemic in a special meeting on Tuesday.

The motion was seconded and voted on. It failed by a count of 3-2. Commissioners Smith, James Johns, Paul Waldron voted against the motion. Dean and Blocker voted in favor of it.

A Facebook post written earlier this week by his daughter, Ashley Waldron Zapata, said Waldron was in the “most critical of conditions,” adding that because of “complications from the virus, he went into septic shock and many organs are struggling.”

At the risk of judging a book by it's cover, that photo would seem to indicate an underlying condition bordering on morbid obesity. What size shirt collar do you suppose that is?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 12, 2020 08:31PM
20 XXL.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 08:42PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 13, 2020 07:04AM
Sarcany
BTW: This is what an exponential growth curve looks like:

No, no, you have that all wrong, that is a TEA GOP flat curve.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 13, 2020 10:24AM
RgrF
At the risk of judging a book by it's cover, that photo would seem to indicate an underlying condition bordering on morbid obesity. What size shirt collar do you suppose that is?

I hope he recovers, although it doesn't sound promising.

I think the post is in poor taste, and the dig about his weight is below you.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 13, 2020 10:45AM
rjmacs
RgrF

I hope he recovers, although it doesn't sound promising.

I think the post is in poor taste, and the dig about his weight is below you.

Sorry you feel that way and as much as I might like to I'm not gloating. But he's a public figure who made a decision that will wrongly influence others. Public figures who put political needs or pure ignorance ahead of what should be public health dictates won't ever get a lot of respect or sympathy from me.

The "dig" about his weight was an observation about an apparent underlying health condition that would put him in the high risk category. As one who is in a high risk category of other sorts myself, I'm not inclined to let stupidity slip by.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 13, 2020 11:02AM
Snarky comments about collar sizes falls is fat shaming, not "observation about an apparent underlying health condition." Having a legitimate health concern for someone requires a lot more than knowing their weight (or neck girth).

It's clear you're parsimonious with your sympathy and respect.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 13, 2020 11:21AM
I am parsimonious and frankly do not care about him. He, unlike me, is in a position to influence the health of his constituents - he chose not to help but to harm them. As a public servant, he's a failure.

As a father, husband, person - I hope he comes out from this with a new attitude about life and public service.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018