advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Let's assume that Trump loses by a wide margin in NOV... what comes next?
Posted by: hal
Date: July 12, 2020 03:37PM
I'm trying to imagine a post-Trump world... help me out here.

Will any norms of the transition of power happen this time?

Will Trump ride with Biden on Inauguration Day? Will Trump even be in DC that day?

I assume that he will not respect the 'keep quiet and let the new guy get his grounding' tradition - he will be barking and tweeting on day one.

And so I wonder... will Facebook and Twitter continue to give him a free pass? Will they shut him down Jan 20? Will his new TV network launch that day?

There is so much that will certainly be different from a normal transition, but like his presidency, it will be hard to predict just how far he will range for the norm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's assume that Trump loses by a wide margin in NOV... what comes next?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 12, 2020 03:40PM
In an ideal world, he will take the Trump Walk of Shame, drive off in his clown car, directly into a dark tunnel, and never be seen or heard from again.

Obviously, we don't live in an ideal world, and the chances are good that he won't go quietly. Biden needs to be prepared for this ... if necessary, taking actions that make sure that whatever he says/does has no lasting effects. This might (should?) involve prison time.

Edit: now that I think of it, the best way to deal with Trump is to deprive him of an audience, so as to make him a non-entity. That's the one thing that narcissists universally cannot tolerate: being ignored.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 03:42PM by PeterB.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 12, 2020 03:43PM
I'm hoping that we'll be having discussions on if a former president in prison still requires secret service protection.

And how did things work out in the end with Melania's pre-nup agreement.
Date: July 12, 2020 03:48PM
Trump isn't going to be in prison in JAN 2021... I'm thinking of the transition...

Will his people even work with the incoming people? The stories of the Obama > Trump transition was staggering. Trump people just didn't show up for meetings & such... It's always been the duty of the outgoing admin to help the incoming admin succeed. Will Trump even say that he hope Biden succeeds?
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 12, 2020 03:55PM
hal
Trump isn't going to be in prison in JAN 2021... I'm thinking of the transition...

Will his people even work with the incoming people? The stories of the Obama > Trump transition was staggering. Trump people just didn't show up for meetings & such... It's always been the duty of the outgoing admin to help the incoming admin succeed. Will Trump even say that he hope Biden succeeds?

I doubt that they'll put any effort into it, and even if they did, it's possible that incompetence will rule, or the accuracy will be biased by whatever 45 personally dictates. I think Biden should be prepared for a DIY transition and start identifying career employees that can be trusted to give his team the most accurate picture of the current state of affairs that they can, assuming 45 doesn't start firing them as soon as they start talking to Biden's team.
Date: July 12, 2020 03:57PM
hal

OK ... I was thinking more long-term, obviously. In terms of transition, I would hope that Trump would be gracious, but of course that's unlikely. Again, Biden needs to be prepared for that. On the other hand, there might be a few, or more than a few, in Trump's current administration who will be sighing a great sigh of relief if/when Biden takes over, and might be willing to lend a hand.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 12, 2020 04:02PM
Biden was in the White House for 8 years, he knows what needs to be done. I didn't initially think he was the best candidate to take the Dem nomination but it's making a lot more sense now. So much clean-up to be done.

I'd be more worried if somebody like Pete Buttigieg with zero Washington experience was taking the office.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 12, 2020 04:07PM
Almost all of Trump's staffers plan to have careers beyond his raggedyass.

His main concern is what's sitting on Tish James' desk. That's what's haunting him. That's what makes him shiver. Just the fact that he "moved" to Florida is testimony to that. He'll spend every day after he loses protecting his hind parts. He knows hearings and trials will come up and he'll be grifting his way to silencing his enemies and enriching his allies.

That said. I make no assumptions.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 12, 2020 04:12PM
I’m still thinking he’d quit, then be pardoned for federal offenses, while flying to Russia immediately after the election.

TrumpTv studios, broadcasting out of Moscow, by thanksgiving. It’d be consistent with the rest of 2020.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 12, 2020 04:30PM
The House committees could finally get current White House staff to obey subpoenas, since the president will not attempt to block them. There ought to be a deep dive into the Russia situation.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 12, 2020 04:32PM
The document shredders will be smoking.
Date: July 12, 2020 04:33PM
vision63

His main concern is what's sitting on Tish James' desk. That's what's haunting him. That's what makes him shiver. Just the fact that he "moved" to Florida is testimony to that. He'll spend every day after he loses protecting his hind parts. He knows hearings and trials will come up and he'll be grifting his way to silencing his enemies and enriching his allies.

How does moving to FL protect him from crimes he has committed in NY?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 12, 2020 04:37PM
Assuming we’re talking about a wide enough margin where the inevitable braying about voter fraud won’t gain any traction?

I could see initially purely smoke and mirrors thrashing about regarding vowing to run again in 2024, so he can ‘finish the job’ and, well, Make America Great Again Again. Maybe even dire warnings about forming a ‘shadow cabinet’ that he’ll use to provide ‘real leadership’ to the country, lead from the front, hit the ground running after his miracle comeback in 2024, blah, blah, blah.

Realistically he won’t do much; won’t have the patience or the capability. Maybe throw a sh*tton of money at cobbling together photo ops in a foreign place or two he has no place being (And being completely ignored by anyone of real importance, having a few grip n’ grins with some out of favor ex-functionaries with the right contacts to siphon off some of Trump’s cash).
Date: July 12, 2020 04:40PM
Blankity Blank
I could see initially purely smoke and mirrors thrashing about regarding vowing to run again in 2024, so he can ‘finish the job’ and, well, Make America DieGreat Again Again.

FTFY.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 12, 2020 05:23PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 05:24PM by Steve G..
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 12, 2020 05:54PM
btfc
The document shredders will be smoking.

Yes and I can’t what will go missing. Hope there is a good inventory list.imagine
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 12, 2020 05:57PM
Luckily, Biden is familiar with the office, so the less Trump "helps", the better for Biden. Biden and his buddy, Barack, will handle this like princes, and pretty much ignore Trump.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 12, 2020 06:33PM
I think Trump will try to destroy everything he can between Nov 4 and Jan 20.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 12, 2020 07:33PM
Maybe a secret deal with Pence "We will look the other way for xyz you did if you remove Trump right away"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 12, 2020 07:40PM
It will not surprise me in the least that a new administration will walk in on Jan 20 and find every hard drive wiped clean, not even an OS on them.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 12, 2020 07:43PM
Ombligo
It will not surprise me in the least that a new administration will walk in on Jan 20 and find every hard drive wiped clean, not even an OS on them.

Governor Mike Huckabee in Arkansas ran over his hard drives with a steam roller.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 12, 2020 07:44PM
I’m not worried about any of that. If Biden wins, he knows he’ll have massive cleanup to do. So many incompetent appointees should be shown the door. So many corrupt policies will need to be reversed. Oh and then there’s the pandemic, and the U.S. infrastructure regarding that will still be in shambles ... and how long would that New President honeymoon phase last under all those conditions?

No, I’d be worried about the 2022 mid terms. How hard will Republicans fight back, assuming Dems win Congress? And if Dems did win Congress this year, could they effect enough positive change to push back against a Republican fight in 2022?

So much damage has been done by Tea Party and Freedom Party reactionaries in the last decade that I don’t see a truly functional Congress happening anywhere in the near future.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 12, 2020 08:13PM
Steve G.

Yep. I don't care what he does January 20th. It's the damage he will do between the election and inauguration.

Posted by: btfc
Date: July 12, 2020 08:22PM
Ombligo
every hard drive wiped clean

“What? Like with a cloth or something?”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 08:23PM by btfc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 12, 2020 09:14PM
He is going to bleach the bits. He is the best there is with bleach. Believe me.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 12, 2020 09:24PM
...well bleach does whiten things.
Date: July 13, 2020 01:05AM
hal
vision63

How does moving to FL protect him from crimes he has committed in NY?

It really doesn't. But they'd have to go through the trouble of extraditing him and he'd throw a hundred lawyers at that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 01:05AM by vision63.
Date: July 13, 2020 01:08AM
Steve G.

He would have nothing to lose. But it'd be like in the movies when a guy is being chased in a foot pursuit, they'll topple trash cans and boxes as they run to slow down their pursuers.
Date: July 13, 2020 02:43AM
vision63
Steve G.

He would have nothing to lose. But it'd be like in the movies when a guy is being chased in a foot pursuit, they'll topple trash cans and boxes as they run to slow down their pursuers.

what a great image in my head...
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 13, 2020 05:28AM
One hopes that all the transition briefing materials that the Trump administration ignored have been preserved by the Obama Library. They will be four years out-of-date, but will provide a good starting framework.

More challenging will be to identify everything that has been broken, and to map out a plan to fix the broken places. I would bet that Biden's transition team will include many of the people that Trump forced out. They will know exactly what needs to be done.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 13, 2020 05:39AM
That implementation will consume the first two years; the damage amelioration two terms.
Posted by: WOOF
Date: July 13, 2020 12:11PM
On January 3 2021 the new congress is sworn in.
Trump is President til January 20th.
With a D majority House and Senate
Trumps life could be made miserable.

What would Republicans do if the situation sere reversed.?
Date: July 13, 2020 12:13PM
Can they do a full impeachment in three weeks?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
Date: July 13, 2020 12:16PM
WOOF

They would convince the right wing supremes to retire (either by offering an Island or maybe putting a gun to their pet's head) and then rush replacements through that are all 21 years old. There are absolutely no restrictions on who can sit on the court.
Date: July 13, 2020 12:41PM
hal
WOOF

They would convince the right wing supremes to retire (either by offering an Island or maybe putting a gun to their pet's head) and then rush replacements through that are all 21 years old. There are absolutely no restrictions on who can sit on the court.

So will it be Justice Ivanka, Jarred, or Barron Trump?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020