advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Two months after "recovery," nearly 90% of COVID patients still show symptoms...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 13, 2020 08:44PM
[arstechnica.com]

A lot of anecdotal reports have indicated that many of those with severe infections are experiencing a difficult recovery, with lingering symptoms, some of which remain debilitating. Now, there's a small study out of Italy in which a group of infected people was tracked for an average of 60 days after their infection was discovered. And the study confirms that symptoms remain long after there's no detectable virus.

The study was incredibly simple in design. Patients being treated in Rome for COVID-19 were asked to participate in a tracking study. Overall, 143 patients agreed and were enrolled in the study following a negative test for the presence of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The group ranged from 19 to 85 years old, with an average age of 57. Overall, they had spent an average of 13 days in the hospital while infected, and about 20 percent had needed assistance with breathing.

Roughly 60 days later, the researchers followed up with an assessment of these patients. Two months after there was no detectable virus, only 13 percent of the study group was free of any COVID-19 symptoms. By contrast, a bit over half still had at least three symptoms typical of the disease...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Two months after "recovery," nearly 90% of COVID patients still show symptoms...
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 13, 2020 09:39PM
You mean it’s not “harmless to 99%”?

I’m sure I heard that somewhere...
Re: Two months after "recovery," nearly 90% of COVID patients still show symptoms...
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 13, 2020 09:48PM
We need tons more testing and research from beginning to end. Then maybe we can have a better idea of what we are dealing with here.

There are too many unknowns at this point and every time we uncover something, it looks worse.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 13, 2020 10:17PM
Ugh. But it's certainly not at all unbelievable. This bug is no joke - no hoax.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 13, 2020 10:35PM
From a medical/scientific standpoint, there's no question that this virus has terrible, long-term effects on the body. I've been reading about my own personal medical condition and what corona does to people like myself (I'm in a high risk category), and they end up with permanent lung damage, damage to other organs ... if they live.

I've also been reading extensively about the effects on the brain, CNS and PNS ... LOTS of neurological sequelae from this virus.

Edit-- some good links:

[www.bbc.com]
[www.the-scientist.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2020 11:27PM by PeterB.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 13, 2020 10:37PM
pdq
You mean it’s not “harmless to 99%”?

I’m sure I heard that somewhere...

To be clear, those things are not necessarily in contradiction. This is about people that have severe cases, and they're likely a fraction of the total infected.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 13, 2020 10:56PM
This virus could give my wife long-term disability as she has had scarring of her lungs already from 3x diagnosed pneumonia.

She is a teacher.

She expects to get it this fall.

Heroes, one and all.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 13, 2020 11:02PM
excerpt from another post today:
The second bit is people keep talking about deaths. Deaths, deaths, deaths. Only one percent die! Just one percent! One is a small number! No big deal, right?

What about the people who survive? For every one person who dies:
· 19 more require hospitalization.
· 18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives.
· 10 will have permanent lung damage.
· 3 will have strokes.
· 2 will have neurological damage that leads to chronic weakness and loss of coordination.
· 2 will have neurological damage that leads to loss of cognitive function.

So now all of a sudden, that “but it’s only 1% fatal!” becomes:
· 3,282,000 people dead.
· 62,358,000 hospitalized.
· 59,076,000 people with permanent heart damage.
· 32,820,000 people with permanent lung damage.
· 9,846,000 people with strokes.
· 6,564,000 people with muscle weakness.
· 6,564,000 people with loss of cognitive function.

That's the thing that the folks who keep going on about “only 1% dead, what’s the big deal?” don’t get.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 13, 2020 11:06PM
.....they had someone on one of these news programs.....he was a doctor and got it 3 months later.....he still has symptoms.....mostly being out of breath and tired........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 13, 2020 11:23PM
sekker
This virus could give my wife long-term disability as she has had scarring of her lungs already from 3x diagnosed pneumonia.

She is a teacher.

She expects to get it this fall.

Heroes, one and all.

I truly hope that the teachers union decides NOT to let this happen; or at the least, that your wife can get some sort of medical exemption.

This is a bit of a threadjack, but pushing teachers and students back into classrooms, even with social distancing, masks, etc., is just asking for a cauldron of infections.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 13, 2020 11:32PM
Filliam H. Muffman
That's the thing that the folks who keep going on about “only 1% dead, what’s the big deal?” don’t get.[/i]

Some people just don't understand the accumulation of small numbers

Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 14, 2020 01:33PM
I fear we will have a bleak 2020 holiday season.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020