advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
One dead in shooting at Austin protest
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 26, 2020 12:44AM
KVUE ABC Austin

One person is dead after a shooting at a Black Lives Matter protest in Downtown Austin near East Sixth Street and Congress Avenue on Saturday night.

An extended video of the incident is currently available through Twitter, with the shooting occurring at roughly the 2:35:40 mark. Be forewarned the video is intense in nature though not extraordinarily graphic.

The story refers to this as a BLM protest, however there are unconfirmed reports that there may have been some elements of a local group known as the Mike Ramos Brigade coloring the nature of the march to some degree.

A self acknowledged more riot and violence prone group, it’s stated purpose is to bring attention to another victim of police violence, Mike Ramos. They have recently been at odds with local activist organizations over their methods, and they have been disavowed by the Ramos family.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One dead in shooting at Austin protest
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 26, 2020 05:43AM
“Police later said the incident was a homicide.

In an update early Sunday morning, police said initial reports indicate the victim, an adult man, was carrying a rifle when he approached the suspect's vehicle. The suspect then shot out of their car at the victim, police said.
The suspect was detained and is cooperating with officers.

The victim was taken to Dell Seton Medical Center where he later died.”

>>>

Why was a guy carrying a rifle in a protest? I know it’s Texas, but still.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 26, 2020 07:12AM
that is a very good question.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: July 26, 2020 09:07AM
It seems like we’re at the swirling stories point in this incident.

I’ve read news reports of both protester and driver being armed, that the protester was pushing his wheelchair bound fianceé through an intersection when the driver came through, I’ve seen one video interview purporting to be with the protester; that person carrying an AK-47 type of weapon. There is a video interview with mother of the slain protester, Garret Foster, who said she “would not be surprised” if he was armed.

Time will tell.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 26, 2020 09:12AM
He might have been carrying a rifle for the same reason the guy in the car was also armed: we have a culture that expects to need it, with various supporting laws that further enable at least someone “being in the right” somewhere.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 26, 2020 09:45AM
Texas is an Open Carry State.

"He was wearing a rifle" is NOT gonna cut it as a defense.

The shooter is gonna need to show the victim was brandishing. The fact that the shooter shot into a crowded area is not going to help him.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm not sure I wouldn't be packing if I decided to show up at protest. Join the Not @#$%&' Around Coalition.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 26, 2020 02:15PM
deckeda
He might have been carrying a rifle for the same reason the guy in the car was also armed: we have a culture that expects to need it, with various supporting laws that further enable at least someone “being in the right” somewhere.

He said in an interview earlier that evening that he was carrying a rifle because the police had arrested his roommate, and weren't letting people protest anymore. He candidly said that if he used his AK-47 against police, he knew it would be the end of him.

As Blankity Blank noted, he was there with his fiancée, who was using a wheelchair. If it matters, Garret Foster, who was killed, was white. His fiancée is Black.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: July 26, 2020 05:05PM
The video interview done with Foster earlier in the day will very possibly cloud the issues surrounding who may have provoked who.

When asked if he thinks he’ll need to use his gun, he replied,
“If I use it against the cops, I’m dead. I think all the people that hate us and want to say sh**t to us are too big of pu*****s to stop and actually do anything about it.”

Spoiling for a confrontation? Some will see it that way.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 27, 2020 10:47AM
“ Garrett Foster Brought His Gun to Austin Protests. Then He Was Shot Dead“

[www.nytimes.com]

Non paywall:

[news.yahoo.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 27, 2020 03:43PM
The Daily Mail (UK), oddly enough:

A photograph circulating on social media on Monday shows Foster standing at the driver's window moments before the fatal shots rang out. The barrel of his AK-47 appears to be pointing towards the floor, however he is leaning towards the car with right arm raised and his hand seemingly placed around the weapon's grip.

Looks like standard gun-nut posturing with the assault rifle - pointing down. Shot by driver of car three times. Driver claims self-defense.

Geez, can’t even drive right through a crowd of protesters these days without being threatened. The shooter’s been released, of course.

I wonder if the gun nuts will count this one as a “defensive gun use?”
Date: July 27, 2020 03:45PM
I bet "pointing down" looks different from the vantage point of the driver.

rj
AKA
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 27, 2020 09:21PM
Fight broke out in Tyler at a protest between Gohmert people and his opponent.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 28, 2020 08:04AM
rjmacs

Hey, carrying an assault rifle around in public in Texas is part of your God-given rights (and affirmed by the state).

No doubt the NRA will shortly take up this obvious violent and unjustified assault on a man just exercising his 2A rights.

Right? Right? Bueller?
Date: July 28, 2020 09:44AM
pdq
rjmacs

Hey, carrying an assault rifle around in public in Texas is part of your God-given rights (and affirmed by the state).

No doubt the NRA will shortly take up this obvious violent and unjustified assault on a man just exercising his 2A rights.

Right? Right? Bueller?

By another man just exercising his 2A rights? Their circuits will fry before they figure out which is the bad guy, presuming the driver was also white.

rj
AKA
Date: July 28, 2020 12:14PM
rjmacs
pdq
rjmacs

Right? Right? Bueller?

By another man just exercising his 2A rights? Their circuits will fry before they figure out which is the bad guy, presuming the driver was also white.

Driver is ahead on points more than likely.

The guy with the AK was not only engaged to a Black woman, she’s a quadruple amputee, based on early reports. That’s double ‘defect’ points in the nazi manual.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018