advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Oregon, federal government reach deal for withdrawal of agents from Portland
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 29, 2020 12:40PM
Well, sorta. Acting Gruppenfuhrer Chad Wolf's statements don't seem to reflect this optimism

Oregon, federal government reach deal for withdrawal of agents from Portland
[www.cnbc.com]

Oregon and the federal government have reached a deal for the withdrawal of agents from the anti-racism protests in Portland, according to statements released simultaneously by Gov. Kate Brown and the acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security on Wednesday.

While Brown’s statement indicated that some federal officers, including all Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, will depart as soon as Thursday, Chad Wolf indicated DHS agents will remain.

----

Oregon and the federal government have reached a deal for the withdrawal of agents from the anti-racism protests in Portland, according to statements released simultaneously by Gov. Kate Brown and the acting secretary of the Department of Homeland Security on Wednesday.

“After my discussions with VP Pence and others, the federal government has agreed to withdraw federal officers from Portland. They have acted as an occupying force & brought violence,” Brown, a Democrat, wrote in a post on Twitter. “Starting tomorrow, all Customs and Border Protection & ICE officers will leave downtown Portland.”

Chad Wolf, the DHS chief, said that he had been in regular communication with Brown and that the two “have agreed to a joint plan to end the violent activity in Portland directed at federal properties and law enforcement officers.”

“That plan includes a robust presence of Oregon State Police in downtown Portland. State and local law enforcement will begin securing properties and streets, especially those surrounding federal properties, that have been under nightly attack for the past two months,” Wolf said.

While Brown’s statement indicated that some federal officers, including all Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, will depart as soon as Thursday, Wolf indicated that DHS agents will remain.

CBP and ICE are divisions of the DHS. The Federal Protective Service, another DHS division, and the U.S. Marshals Service, a division of the Department of Justice, also have officers assigned to the Portland protests, the federal government has said.

Wolf wrote that the DHS would keep its personnel in Portland “until we are assured that the Hatfield Federal Courthouse and other federal properties will no longer be attacked and that the seat of justice in Portland will remain secure.”

“This has been our mission and objective since the violent, criminal activity began,” he said.

A CBP spokesperson referred CNBC to Wolf’s statement when asked whether CBP agents would leave Portland on Thursday. ICE did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oregon, federal government reach deal for withdrawal of agents from Portland
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 29, 2020 12:42PM
Translation: we'll leave if you replace all of us with Oregon State Police.

Still outsiders being brought in to police strangers, but it's a start!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Re: Oregon, federal government reach deal for withdrawal of agents from Portland
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 29, 2020 12:43PM
They have also withdrawn from Seattle.

What an ugly chapter.
Date: July 29, 2020 12:46PM
Whoever is playing Leni Riefenstahl in the current presidential reelection campaign must have sent word that they've got all the raw footage they need to create their films for the fall.

rj
AKA
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 29, 2020 02:09PM
The Wall of Moms generated damning photos that will be in history books for decades.
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 29, 2020 02:21PM
I'll believe it when I see it
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 29, 2020 02:55PM
I heard that 20 years ago, when federal agents overreached, the cops in Seattle fenced them into the courthouse. Wouldn't let them beyond the barriers. As in, "You have jurisdiction inside of this fence and we have jurisdiction outside of it."

I was hoping that someone would try that in this round.

Date: July 29, 2020 03:00PM
Sarcany
I heard that 20 years ago, when federal agents overreached, the cops in Seattle fenced them into the courthouse. Wouldn't let them beyond the barriers. As in, "You have jurisdiction inside of this fence and we have jurisdiction outside of it."

Yeah, good luck with that. Especially with the current administration invoking jurisdiction everywhere within 100 miles of the border with impunity.

rj
AKA
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 29, 2020 04:31PM
Sarcany

Rank and file police are more likely to be in tune with the baton wielding feds than they are with their own citizens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020