advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Huh. Mike Flynn is not off the hook yet
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 30, 2020 02:23PM
I assumed that this was a done deal after the 2-1 appeals court ruling, but not so:

The entire Federal Appeals Court in Washington said on Thursday that it would take up a case involving Attorney General William P. Barr’s decision to drop the prosecution of President Trump’s former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn, erasing a split decision by a three-judge panel in June ordering an immediate end to the case.

... both of the judges in the [previous 2-1] majority - Neomi Rao, a former Trump White House official, and Karen L. Henderson, a George Bush appointee, have been more willing in other cases than most of their colleagues to interpret the law in Mr. Trump’s favor.

...but apparently the same cannot be said for the whole appeals court. So Flynn is back in court, and it sounds like the majority of the entire appeals court in DC is likely to let the original judge decide whether to sentence Flynn or accept the withdrawal by Barr, et al.

And I’d bet dollars to donuts that [the original judge on the case] Judge Sullivan ends up sentencing an unrepentant Flynn.

Then it’s probably up to the Supremes, or to Trump to make another ass-covering pardon.

Woohoo!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Huh. Mike Flynn is not off the hook yet
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 30, 2020 02:32PM
I wonder if the judge can delay sentencing until after 45 leaves office...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 30, 2020 02:35PM
Filliam H. Muffman

That’s a serious issue for Flynn; his time for manuvering is limited. Of course, Trump could pardon him before he is sentenced, ala Ford and Nixon.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 30, 2020 03:07PM
It's interesting to me that Barr seems to have been able to talk Trump out of disliking Flynn and turn Trump back into a Flynn booster. My personal feeling is that Flynn knows a lot of stuff that he could use as leverage, and that Barr realizes it even if Trump was too blinded by immature emotions to see it.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 30, 2020 05:07PM
pdq
Filliam H. Muffman

That’s a serious issue for Flynn; his time for manuvering is limited. Of course, Trump could pardon him before he is sentenced, ala Ford and Nixon.

Once pardoned, Flynn can be forced to spill the beans. Accepting a pardon means admitting guilt. Of course, Flynn was mostly operating on his own behalf, not for the president.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2020 05:09PM by Speedy.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 30, 2020 10:11PM
Speedy
pdq
Filliam H. Muffman

Once pardoned, Flynn can be forced to spill the beans. Accepting a pardon means admitting guilt. Of course, Flynn was mostly operating on his own behalf, not for the president.

Yep, that's why Trump commuted the sentence of Roger Stone rather than pardoning him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018