advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Age-Related Differences in Nasopharyngeal Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Levels in Patients With Mild to Moderate Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 31, 2020 08:35AM
Hey, don't blame me - the subject line above is the title of a recent academic paper published in the Journal of the American Medical Association Pediatrics:

[jamanetwork.com]

Our analyses suggest children younger than 5 years with mild to moderate COVID-19 have high amounts of SARS-CoV-2 viral RNA in their nasopharynx compared with older children and adults. Our study is limited to detection of viral nucleic acid, rather than infectious virus, although SARS-CoV-2 pediatric studies reported a correlation between higher nucleic acid levels and the ability to culture infectious virus.5 Thus, young children can potentially be important drivers of SARS-CoV-2 spread in the general population, as has been demonstrated with respiratory syncytial virus, where children with high viral loads are more likely to transmit.6 Behavioral habits of young children and close quarters in school and day care settings raise concern for SARS-CoV-2 amplification in this population as public health restrictions are eased. In addition to public health implications, this population will be important for targeting immunization efforts as SARS-CoV-2 vaccines become available.

Hopefully those more knowledgeable about this than me can help me understand what's in this paper more, but it sounds like there is some preliminary evidence that young children can be significant spreaders of the coronavirus. Seems not to be definitive, but worth investigating more because of the possible consequences of opening schools up.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Age-Related Differences in Nasopharyngeal Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Levels in Patients With Mild to Moderate Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)"
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 31, 2020 08:44AM
......Noferatu....say what......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: "Age-Related Differences in Nasopharyngeal Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Levels in Patients With Mild to Moderate Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)"
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 31, 2020 09:45AM
Time to separate children from their parents and lock them in cages.
Just kidding - no civilized country would do something so heinous.
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 31, 2020 09:58AM
Translation:

1) There is strong evidence that even little children who are not very sick with Covid 19 are full of snot that is jam-packed with infectious virus that can make other people sick.

2) We all know how snot flies around little children.

3) You have been warned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2020 10:01AM by Janit.
Posted by: Pam
Date: July 31, 2020 10:30AM
Gee, small children are Petri dishes. Parents will be so surprised.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 31, 2020 10:47AM
Someone should tell DeSantis:

The Governor has continued to insist on in-person instruction throughout the state. Critics worry schools would be vectors for spread.

“There’s no evidence that having child care open this entire time has been a driver of community spread,” the Governor said in response to a reporter’s question. “That’s different from saying there may be an isolated case or something, and I would have no way to definitively say that nobody in any child care setting, a caregiver has ever come down with it.

“I would say clearly it has not been a driver of community [transmission],”

= I have a data-free belief kids cannot transmit Coronavirus. While we haven't actually looked at this question, I'm going with my gut, which means you and your kids get to go with my gut too.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 31, 2020 11:03AM
Hard to get past the relatively small sample sizes for cohorts and the admittedly small sample from Chicago. The observations are pertinent however. For the notion that kids <5 don't spread the virus, this gives some evidence that they have the potential to do so. For now, it's a site for further research, and it may help direct that research, but it's hard to draw any firm conclusions just from this.
Posted by: Diana
Date: July 31, 2020 11:24AM
Pam
Gee, small children are Petri dishes. Parents will be so surprised.

I agree with both Pam and Janit.

To expand on this concept:

Small children are germ factories. They have limited immunity; they catch something that they cannot fight off, they get sick and the body learns to fight it off but they don't exhibit the symptoms that result from the body's immediate immunoresponse because they don't have much immunity to start with. Yes, they will have fever, they will cough and sneeze and run snot and stuff, but not the serious immunoreactive responses we have seen with COVID, and so people (mistakenly in my opinion) state that children aren't affected by it as much as adults. So (obviously to the idiots) children must be safe to be around because they aren't exhibiting the serious symptoms of the disease. And it's whichever disease it may be, not just COVID; how about measles, anyone? ANYONE who has either worked with small children OR has worked with PARENTS of small children can tell you the number of instances where little Johnny or little Debbie had to be home due to a fever or whatever. ANYONE who has worked with these individuals can tell you the number of times where said parent has had to stay home or been late to work because they had to stay home with little Johnny or Debbie as the child cannot stay at home alone.

Kids being kids, they catch it and spread it around. They are now vectors for the disease. It doesn't take a paper in a journal to tell most people this. The fact is that the kids spread all kinds of stuff to their parents, and then the parents come to work and it spreads to those the parents work with and sometime during all that transmission it may mutate and make another round. I see this EVERY year and I work in a medical research facility, where you would THINK people would know better. Every blasted year with the colds and flu going around. This is the reason I get a flu shot every year and limit my exposure to those with whom I work, because the majority have small kids in daycare or school and not because I'm antisocial. (Well, maybe a little.)

As Pam said "Gee, small children are Petri dishes. Parents will be so surprised." And as Janit said: "You have been warned."

Wow. I didn't realize that soap box I climbed was so tall! Anyone have a ladder?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 31, 2020 11:48AM
Janit
Translation:

1) There is strong evidence that even little children who are not very sick with Covid 19 are full of snot that is jam-packed with infectious virus that can make other people sick.

2) We all know how snot flies around little children.

3) You have been warned.

You forgot #4, The children inherit the Earth, and we end up with a Big Death, Jeremiah-type situation.

But in all seriousness: I'm a little surprised that, in discussions of young kids and sending back to school and whatnot, there hasn't been more talk about the kids getting MIS-C... what they're now calling the inflammatory syndrome they're seeing in kids who get SARS-CoV-2. [www.mayoclinic.org] ... not only can this be lethal, it can leave kids with permanent damage IF they do survive but aren't treated properly or early enough. Even if it affects only 1 in 1000 kids, would you really want to be the parent of a child who develops this because they were sent back to school?

Edit: note that MIS-C doesn't just affect kids, it can affect the college-age population too. Oh, joy.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2020 11:49AM by PeterB.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 31, 2020 02:40PM
Diana

Wow. I didn't realize that soap box I climbed was so tall! Anyone have a ladder?

You know, I agree. This study suggests kids have higher nasopharyngeal Covid counts. Kids sneeze and cough like adults do, and some drool and generally have less hygienic practices than adults. Given all that, in the absence of specific studies, I think we have to assume they are more likely to spread Covid than asymptomatic adults.

That may not be the case, but that’s the most reasonable assumption to make at this point, I think.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 03, 2020 03:19AM
They should fly down south, who is in the midst of opening their schools. They'll have plenty of samples in a few weeks.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 311
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018