advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Drumpf Ends Door-To-Door Census Visits Early
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 31, 2020 01:40PM
Yeah, you knew this was coming too, didn't you.

[www.npr.org]

The Census Bureau is cutting short critical door-knocking efforts for the 2020 census amid growing concerns among Democrats in Congress that the White House is pressuring the bureau to wrap up counting soon for political gain, NPR has learned.

Attempts by the bureau's workers to conduct in-person interviews for the census will end on Sept. 30 — not Oct. 31, the end date it indicated in April would be necessary to count every person living in the U.S. given major setbacks from the coronavirus pandemic. Three Census Bureau employees, who were informed of the plans during separate internal meetings Thursday, confirmed the new end date with NPR. All of the employees spoke on the condition of anonymity out of fear of losing their jobs.

"It's going to be impossible to complete the count in time," said one of the bureau employees, an area manager who oversees local census offices. "I'm very fearful we're going to have a massive undercount."

...About 4 out of 10 households nationwide have still not participated in the constitutionally mandated count of every person living in the U.S., and self-response rates are even lower in many communities.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drumpf Ends Door-To-Door Census Visits Early
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 31, 2020 01:53PM
He will make up a number anyway like he is doing bypassing the CDC.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: July 31, 2020 02:26PM
I just took oath of office to be a census enumerator last week and completed the training today. (I applied for the job in December! )
It is just not possible to follow up on the non response surveys in the time left this year. The census bureau is doing the best it can in light of the current situation. We don’t need Drumpf breathing down our neck.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 31, 2020 03:40PM
Next order will be census takers can only go out between 9am and 5pm M-F, knock three times, wait 15 seconds and then move on.

The courts will be of no help because no harm has been done yet. Then by the time the courts can act, the constitutional deadline will have passed.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 31, 2020 04:21PM
No- knock census.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 31, 2020 06:39PM
My dad applied months ago, and recently they contacted him again. Nothing about the website for registration worked for him They had him running in circles because of their janky site. He told them to forget it.

4 out of 10? It would have been worse if they hadn’t employed the Spring marketing campaign advertising online capability. They have plenty of time to do that again. I fail to see how 4 out of 10 can’t find a machine and take like 5 minutes outta their day to knock this out.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 01, 2020 10:38PM
deckeda
I fail to see how 4 out of 10 can’t find a machine and take like 5 minutes outta their day to knock this out.

They can find the time but don’t, hence the need for personal contact. Right now my state has the most responses but we are only at 70%.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 02, 2020 09:26AM
I just learned a friend of mine volunteered to be a census taker (ie was hired, though she did so out of interest/duty rather than the money, which she doesn’t need).

Today they had their first training. When do they actually start? They didn’t say - we’ll call you.

This gives me a real queasy feeling.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 02, 2020 09:45AM
Speedy
deckeda
I fail to see how 4 out of 10 can’t find a machine and take like 5 minutes outta their day to knock this out.

They can find the time but don’t, hence the need for personal contact. Right now my state has the most responses but we are only at 70%.

Then there are those who don't have any easy access to a machine. They use ones at public places like libraries - still mostly closed for such access to computers.

As a public university, the library I work at normally allows access to the public. There are always a fair number of non-students using the computers. There are a number of regulars, including homeless. But this coming Fall semester that will not be happening. When the doors open in a couple of weeks for the first time since March access will be limited to students, staff and faculty of the school. They are still working on whether and how students from the local colleges in a consortium with the university would be able to come into the library. No access to the general public until at least next year.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 02, 2020 10:43AM
I don’t think 40% of the nation lack online access. They don’t even need their own access or machine. Just borrow a friend’s.

My dad just got his email notification. Training to happen soon.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 02, 2020 12:00PM
deckeda
I don’t think 40% of the nation lack online access. They don’t even need their own access or machine. Just borrow a friend’s.

My dad just got his email notification. Training to happen soon.

40%, true that is partly procrastinators. But from reports I have seen in the past, 15-20% of the population is in the group of limited to no regular online access. It was higher, but some getting cheap smart phones and subsidized phone plans has reduced it some in the last 5-6 years. You are also assuming friend or neighbor with such access, it tends to be entire social groups without access.

Of course part of this is assuming the Census website works on a mobile platform, so many government sites do not. It is getting better, but still...

Personally, I have observed th pattern of borrowing at the library where we lend out laptops to students for several days at a time. Most of the loans go into three groups - students whose laptop is out for repair, those who need to use a software package available on the laptop that they don't have, or those who can not afford one at all. That last group is larger than you might think, adding another thousand to their loans to get one that can run the packages they need is more than they can afford.

The reality is that there is a digital divide. Part is income based, part is location based. The current administration has been doing nothing to reduce that over the last 3 1/2 years.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: August 02, 2020 08:10PM
I just finished my first day as an enumerator. It went well. Only one house told me to f* off.

People don’t need a computer; you can just call a phone number and fill it in that way.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 03, 2020 11:18AM
abevilac
I just finished my first day as an enumerator. It went well. Only one house told me to f* off.

People don’t need a computer; you can just call a phone number and fill it in that way.

Thank you for your service, Ann! woot smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018