advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Lines are forming at courthouses to stave off evictions
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 31, 2020 10:25PM
A friend in Savannah, GA just told me about that one. Another friend in Henry County is saying the same thing. I hope the judges are kind. The judges are trying but they have to go by State law. If you can't pay in 7 days from the judgement, you get evicted. 400 cases on the docket in Chatham County (Savannah).

confused smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lines are forming at courthouses to stave off evictions
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 01, 2020 07:10AM
The thought of large numbers of families living on the streets because of this is chilling - especially during a time when local governments don't have funds to help them nearly as much as they should. It's a nightmare.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 01, 2020 07:18AM
Ted King
The thought of large numbers of families living on the streets because of this is chilling - especially during a time when local governments don't have funds to help them nearly as much as they should. It's a nightmare.

Yes it is. And if you live in the suburbs, they are coming for you. At least that is what I heard.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 01, 2020 07:30AM
Nothing that Congress is doing right now makes any sense. Unemployment has gotten worse with no end in sight. It's not safe for people to work many jobs right now. And yet we continue with no national plan to bring the virus under control.

The landlords need mortgage relief, and they should have to prove they won't evict their tenant if they get it. Some basic guaranteed income to poor families would probably be the most help now though. We cannot put families on the street during a pandemic...it's tragic that this ever happens but God please not now.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 01, 2020 07:41AM
Also there's a hurricane headed for Savannah.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 01, 2020 09:20AM
Speedy
Ted King

Yes it is. And if you live in the suburbs, they are coming for you. At least that is what I heard.

I don’t know, but a lot of people are saying it.

wink smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 01, 2020 12:50PM
Lemon Drop
The landlords need mortgage relief, and they should have to prove they won't evict their tenant if they get it. Some basic guaranteed income to poor families would probably be the most help now though. We cannot put families on the street during a pandemic...it's tragic that this ever happens but God please not now.

Yes - this. Payments on federally backed mortgages can be deferred without fear of foreclosure. The fact that renters are expected to navigate complex underfunded renter assistance programs in order to avoid eviction is stupid, racist, and classist on its face.

The government needs to provide assistance to the mortgage-holders of rental properties to provide similar protection as to homeowners, by allowing deferral of mortgage payments without fear of penalty. This, combined with an extension of a nationwide eviction moratorium, would allow landlords to negotiate reasonable, manageable rent accommodations with renters without fearing bankruptcy. This is a much more complex chore, because of the way commercial mortgages are commodified outside the Fannie/Freddie system - but no excuses.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 01, 2020 09:42PM
rjmacs
Lemon Drop

Yes - this. Payments on federally backed mortgages can be deferred without fear of foreclosure. The fact that renters are expected to navigate complex underfunded renter assistance programs in order to avoid eviction is stupid, racist, and classist on its face.

The government needs to provide assistance to the mortgage-holders of rental properties to provide similar protection as to homeowners, by allowing deferral of mortgage payments without fear of penalty. This, combined with an extension of a nationwide eviction moratorium, would allow landlords to negotiate reasonable, manageable rent accommodations with renters without fearing bankruptcy. This is a much more complex chore, because of the way commercial mortgages are commodified outside the Fannie/Freddie system - but no excuses.

This will probably happen because Hannity has something like 4K rental units. He’ll put the president on the case.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 01, 2020 11:03PM
I'm on a mortgage deferment right now. HOWEVER I am still able to make @80% payments so I am not screwed after this. And my partner is going to get a huge pay adjustment (REALLY long story) of close to 25%, so she can pitch more in if it gets critical.

But, to be brutally honest and fair, you signed a contract, you took a gamble. No one can for-tel the future, but living beyond your means can and will bite you in the ass at some point, in some way. This is just one.

If my partner's 22yo son wasn't living with us, I'd rent out our downstairs. And if I depended on that rental income to keep MY home, I'd do what I needed to do to find a tennant who could pay.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2020 04:14AM by Racer X.
Date: August 02, 2020 12:40PM
Racer X
But, to be brutally honest and fair, you signed a contract, you took a gamble. No one can for-tel the future, but living beyond your means can and will bite you in the ass at some point, in some way. This is just one.

You just said that you are the beneficiary of mortgage deferment, yet you have no sense that a similar abeyance would be useful and important for renters? That seems myopic to me.

Signing a contract (a lease, in this case) is not a "gamble" for most folks who can get approved to sign a lease. To say that we all 'gambled', and the emergence of a novel coronavirus, subsequent federal catastrophic mismanagement, and economic collapse was the consequence of a bad bet is at best facile, and at worst cruel.

It's not "living beyond your means" to rent modest accommodations (that you can afford during a reasonably normal economy) when a pandemic strikes, and want to avoid eviction and homelessness.

You're right about the brutality of your "honesty," but I think you've mis-calibrated "fair" by a mile.

rj
AKA
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 02, 2020 05:53PM
Those same "responsible borrower" arguments were advanced during the real estate meltdown - it's an "I've got mine so blame the victim" argument.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 03, 2020 09:40AM
rjmacs

You just said that you are the beneficiary of mortgage deferment, yet you have no sense that a similar abeyance would be useful and important for renters? That seems myopic to me.

Signing a contract (a lease, in this case) is not a "gamble" for most folks who can get approved to sign a lease. To say that we all 'gambled', and the emergence of a novel coronavirus, subsequent federal catastrophic mismanagement, and economic collapse was the consequence of a bad bet is at best facile, and at worst cruel.

It's not "living beyond your means" to rent modest accommodations (that you can afford during a reasonably normal economy) when a pandemic strikes, and want to avoid eviction and homelessness.

You're right about the brutality of your "honesty," but I think you've mis-calibrated "fair" by a mile.

Well said.
Date: August 03, 2020 07:38PM
Yes, but if those mortgage concessions weren't available, I'd still pay my mortgage. It makes it EASIER. And if I couldn't pay it, I signed a contract that theoretically, they could take my home. I'd do a fast sale and still walk away with some cash.

I don't EXPECT help, I don't DEMAND help, it was OFFERED by my mortgage lender. I'm on unemployment rather than working because our governor realizes that forcing seriously at medical risk workers to work is borderline criminal. I didn't ask for that concession, it was made. I didn't ask for expanded unemployment benefits, they were offered.

If all this support goes away at midnight tonight for example, I'll start working again at 4am as I usually do.

I have no expectation of a hand out. I'm self employed, and a sole proprietor. I'm ON MY OWN. My retirement is my own problem, my insurance is my own problem. My food and clothing is my own problem. If my partner leaves tomorrow and I have no more support, that's my problem.

I went to the same middle school and high school as many of the Seattle protestors likely did. I grew up seeing day by day living.

If a landlord with small holdings isn't getting paid, how will THEY live?

And, for example, with the Tenant/Landlord laws here in Seattle/King Co, and Washington State's ones as well, it takes a minimum of 6 months to get removed from a rental, unless it is for illegal activity, then its 72 hours. And every time you make a partial payment, the clock resets. So anyone worrying about a looming eviction here was in trouble BEFORE Covid-19.

Every service sector type of business here in western Washington is SCREAMING for help, so there are plenty of jobs available if you are willing to work. Might need to change industries, or change your mindset, but you will have a roof over your head.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 12:48AM by Racer X.
Date: August 04, 2020 11:53AM
Racer X,

I respect your commitment to work, and admire the effort and ambition you have put into building a business, and prudently living so that you can pay your bills and adapt as necessary to changes. Your sense of independence and responsibility have contributed to your resilience, and that is a benefit to the whole community.

I have found that a platform of privilege is a poor place from which to gauge risk on behalf of those lacking such privilege. From where I stand (financially stable, supported, and protected), it can be hard to appreciate - from my own standpoint - why people would need eviction protection, or for that matter mortgage payment forebearance. After all, we could manage to pay our rent (for a while, anyway) even if suddenly unemployed - because we've allocated our resources responsibly.

If I can stand back a bit from my own position, it's easier to see that though we are good people who work hard, we also have a lot going for us. Good educations, advanced degrees, white skin (still an overall plus), supportive local family, etc., etc. Some of that we 'earned,' but some of it was well subsidized, by family relationships, great work benefits, and other structural advantages.

The more I've listened, the more I've come to understand how precarious other folks' living circumstances are, and to appreciate that they have few if any other options. I know how expensive housing is in this area, and it's rarely affordable. Folks work multiple jobs and live in multi-family dwellings, where risk is magnified because everyone is dependent on everyone else's ability to contribute. For them, if they are fortunate enough to own a home and have a mortgage, the offer to forego mortgage payments for a few months can mean the difference between stability and homelessness. If they are renting, the only protection they have is a temporary eviction prohibition, which may have expired last week (depending on locale). To remain in their homes after the stay is lifted, they have to repay all missed rent in full, immediately. That burden may be bearable for some fortunate few, but for others it will certainly lead to homelessness or housing instability. Having an eviction on your record can affect not just your ability to rent or buy a home, but also the ability to get a job, pass a background check, etc. It's a deeply damaging process.

I think it's OK that we disagree about this, as a policy issue. I appreciate being able to discuss it here with such good people.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 11:55AM by rjmacs.
Date: August 04, 2020 05:31PM
I am just one person with one point of view.

For example I mentioned that my middle school and HS was the same one many who are struggling went to as well. I spent close to 3 hours a day on a school bus, first on, last off. Then did 2 peper routes, started dinner and took a shower. After dinner I did homework, or Scouting stuff. Weekends helping at home or Scouting. If I can get a scholarship out of that high school with the same teachers as the others, what were THEY doing with all that spare time?

In college I had my own place, worked full time and was a volunteer Scouting leader, with a GF 2 hours away. What were they doing? Although tuition was covered, my photography equipment and supplies were more than the tuition, so the scholarship was only a small contribution relatively speaking. I took a year off to save the money for the initial gear purchase. 60+ hours a week and volunteered.

Lots of work out there right now. Just need to do it.

It really sucks that so many are struggling. Maybe a life redirect would change that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 05:35PM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 308
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018