advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Notarize your absentee ballot in MO ? I’m ENRAGED !
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 01, 2020 02:19PM
On the phone with family and I discovered that this Red State requires voters to have their absentee ballot NOTARIZED. It’s the only state in the Union that does this. A clear voter suppression technique, and terribly egregious. I can’t believe this was allowed to stand.

I realize toilet paper got hard to find, but do republicans have to use the constitution as a substitute?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Notarize your absentee ballot in MO ? I’m ENRAGED !
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 01, 2020 02:38PM
The state law specifies that the notarization must be free, but doesn't require notaries to notarize ballots for free. So, some people may find themselves facing a fee to cast their vote.

But, an emergency law did permit some people to submit ballots without notarization... if the voter has a doctor's note saying that they're hospitalized or quarantined with coronavirus.

Here's a list of notaries who have volunteered to notarize ballots for free:
[www.sos.mo.gov]

So, with that information and assuming that you have transportation, all you have to do to vote absentee is to risk your life by visiting a notary during a pandemic.

Posted by: vision63
Date: August 01, 2020 03:45PM
Sarcany
The state law specifies that the notarization must be free, but doesn't require notaries to notarize ballots for free. So, some people may find themselves facing a fee to cast their vote.

But, an emergency law did permit some people to submit ballots without notarization... if the voter has a doctor's note saying that they're hospitalized or quarantined with coronavirus.

Here's a list of notaries who have volunteered to notarize ballots for free:
[www.sos.mo.gov]

So, with that information and assuming that you have transportation, all you have to do to vote absentee is to risk your life by visiting a notary during a pandemic.

The old poll tax.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 01, 2020 04:50PM
Hey, if you actually deserve to vote in Missouri, you can just have your staff take care of it for you.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 01, 2020 04:59PM
Sarcany

And what doctor is writing notes for free these days? Most out here charge for anything they sign. It's a sign of the times - most are neck deep in education debt - that they are basically charging for a signature on a form. These kinds of visits/requests are typically not covered by insurance (for those lucky enough to have coverage) either. Seems like for a federal election, there should be federal rules.

Otherwise, we get the same hodgepodge of rules and regulations that permit something like the Corona virus to tear us apart. Only difference: this hodgepodge is tearing the Constitution apart…

Wanna vote? Guess how many jellybeans are in the jar…

No, you don't get to keep them if you guess correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 05:05PM by bfd.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 01, 2020 05:34PM
Washington has been mail only for years. Works fine.

Notarize? That's nuts. Can't the state legislature conduct an immediate emergency vote and amend the state constitution to strike out the notarized component?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 01, 2020 06:09PM
It's a MAGA GOP legislature, they see their job as making voting as difficult as possible.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 01, 2020 06:23PM
I just printed out the request for absentee ballots for my husband and myself.
I also printed out one for my 89 Y.O. mom.
I need to fill hers out then mail it to her to sign and mail in.
I can submit ours online, like I did for the primary.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 01, 2020 06:30PM
Racer X

Notarize? That's nuts. Can't the state legislature conduct an immediate emergency vote and amend the state constitution to strike out the notarized component?

Yes, they could. But who do you think is responsible for that voter-suppressive law in the first place?

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 01, 2020 07:11PM
AllGold
Racer X

Yes, they could. But who do you think is responsible for that voter-suppressive law in the first place?

<crickets>

Cause, meet effect

“Good thing it’s not my state tho.”
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 01, 2020 07:14PM
“ State law requires absentee ballots to be notarized for free. However, SB 631 did not authorize free notarization for mail-in ballots.”

What?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 02, 2020 08:47AM
deckeda
“ State law requires absentee ballots to be notarized for free. However, SB 631 did not authorize free notarization for mail-in ballots.”

What?

An absentee ballot and a mail-in ballot are not the same thing.

Absantee - you have a valid reason that you cannot go to the polls
Mail - you just choose not to go to the polls but still want to vote

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018