advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
College football player opt-out movement
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 03, 2020 09:19AM
They're taking their demands way beyond COVID concerns, and I'm glad to see this.

[www.seattletimes.com]

A group that claims to represent “hundreds of Pac-12 football players” distributed a news release Sunday that includes a set of demands surrounding health and safety protections; the fight against racial injustice; the preservation of all existing Pac-12 sports; extended healthcare; name, image and likeness rights; and revenue sharing within the conference.

As it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic, the release from the players’ group states “there’s not enough transparency about health risks, no uniformity to ensure we’re all safe when we play each other, and no adequate enforcement infrastructure. NCAA sports has truly failed us, it doesn’t enforce any health and safety standards. We believe a football season under these conditions would be reckless and put us at needless risk. We will not play until there is real change that is acceptable to us.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: College football player opt-out movement
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 03, 2020 10:01AM
Good for them! I hope they don't lose their scholarships.
Date: August 03, 2020 10:05AM
Ted King

they've been assured that players who opt-out for health reasons won't be penalized.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 03, 2020 10:24AM
Lemon... I really doubt they will NOT be penalized. NCAA football players are treated like crap by their schools.

[www.theguardian.com]
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 03, 2020 10:51AM
Sports teams are cash cows that keep on giving for the schools. Witness the home about half a mile to a mile from my house—that would easily swallow four of “my house” places, and that is just looking at it from the front. And the grounds? Acres of land, in an area where land goes for nearly 90K an acre about the time the place was built. The coach was paid millions a year before he retired. Are our colleges and universities for teaching and learning? Not necessarily.

But then, folks around here would call me bitter, if not worse, for such sentiments.

Disclosure: I live in a 2400 ft^2 two story home on a little less than an acre, built in the mid 60s. And yeah, I could believe the school would be petty enough to punish the players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 10:52AM by Diana.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 03, 2020 10:53AM
Diana
The coach was paid millions a year before he retired. .

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 03, 2020 11:35AM
cbelt3
Lemon... I really doubt they will NOT be penalized. NCAA football players are treated like crap by their schools.

But Charlie -

THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING

No, seriously - sports journalist will absolutely report on violations - in large part because THERE'S NO SPORTS TO REPORT ON.

smiley12

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 03, 2020 11:50AM
Lemon Drop
Ted King

they've been assured that players who opt-out for health reasons won't be penalized.

My bad, I should have read the article before posting.
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 03, 2020 11:51AM
rjmacs
cbelt3

But Charlie -

THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING

No, seriously - sports journalist will absolutely report on violations - in large part because THERE'S NO SPORTS TO REPORT ON.

smiley12

Football here is a RELIGION not a sport. Basketball is the same way. It can be reported but many will say that they knew what they were getting into. If the school doesn’t penalize them, then society here will. Or their respective pro organizations. We must win at all costs.

People have gotten hurt supporting the wrong team.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for it and I hope that the players get some relief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 11:53AM by Diana.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 03, 2020 12:03PM
The ncaa and all of it rules limiting player rights should be burned to the ground. Start over. How can it possibly be that a 19yo kid doesn't have rights to his/her own image?? How is it that they don't get a cut of the $BILLIONS generated by their work?
Date: August 03, 2020 01:33PM
hal
The ncaa and all of it rules limiting player rights should be burned to the ground. Start over. How can it possibly be that a 19yo kid doesn't have rights to his/her own image?? How is it that they don't get a cut of the $BILLIONS generated by their work?

Agree. It's criminal. Literally, I think it's criminal that they make so much money from the unpaid labor of athletes.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 03, 2020 01:56PM
I figure college fall sports will get punted to spring.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 03, 2020 02:06PM
Not to mention the betting proceeds… NCAA and its affiliates are a multi-billion dollar business, and that's why it's not likely to make big changes anytime soon. Sportswriter here actually took it to them, claiming that the scholarship, housing, miscellaneous expenses, priority registration, academic tutoring, charter flights to games, per diem on the road, boxes of gear, access to best doctors and dentists, private work out areas, elite social status on campus, and soon they can enter into personal endorsement contracts for name, image and license… has a value $100k-$200k per year.

It was - as one person might say - a very nasty article… if you're on the side of student athletes, anyway.

[www.sandiegouniontribune.com]

The problem with his assessment is that while it may be true for some elite athletes in some sports at some schools, the vast majority of college student athletes aren't getting anywhere near these perks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 02:08PM by bfd.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 03, 2020 02:30PM
Nevada-Med School-Plastic Surgeon
RollingEyesSmiley5

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: August West
Date: August 03, 2020 02:36PM
My gosh, don't you folks understand the concept of Student-Athlete? pimp smiley

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 03, 2020 04:21PM
rgG
RollingEyesSmiley5

The notable bit about that is it wasn't California. But maybe it is in SoCal but NorCal pays more for hoops? Or there's so much supply in SoCal that competition is lowering prices.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 03, 2020 09:07PM
Lew Zealand
rgG
RollingEyesSmiley5

The notable bit about that is it wasn't California. But maybe it is in SoCal but NorCal pays more for hoops? Or there's so much supply in SoCal that competition is lowering prices.

Nah! So much Botox $ in SoCal no one goes into government.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018