advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
UVA gives students 2 days to get a COVID test, via a website that doesn't work
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 03, 2020 08:02PM
Everything is fine. It's going well.

UVA contracted with a private lab to test students "returning to grounds" at no cost to the students. Problem: the lab's website doesn't work. That inspires a lot of confidence that they'll get tens of thousands of students accurately and quickly tested.

I read through their FAQs for returning students, oh my gosh, I'd be freaked if I were a student or parent or faculty member.

[returntogrounds.virginia.edu]

Wahoo Wa!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: UVA gives students 2 days to get a COVID test, via a website that doesn't work
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 03, 2020 09:00PM
....what about UVB......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: UVA gives students 2 days to get a COVID test, via a website that doesn't work
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 03, 2020 10:13PM
I wouldn't let my kid go to college this semester. We live in a neighborhood of bars, and when the bars were closed the kids brought coolers of beer and booze and sat in an enormous crowd (no masks, very close together) in our little square and got drunk as Lords. Which of course means intimate contact follows. No college kid is going to turn down a hook-up because of some virus that they think only gets old people.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 03, 2020 11:05PM
$tevie
I wouldn't let my kid go to college this semester. We live in a neighborhood of bars, and when the bars were closed the kids brought coolers of beer and booze and sat in an enormous crowd (no masks, very close together) in our little square and got drunk as Lords. Which of course means intimate contact follows. No college kid is going to turn down a hook-up because of some virus that they think only gets old people.

Oy. Makes me fearful for my institution this semester, hearing stuff like this.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 03, 2020 11:20PM
We are a large extended family, 6 brothers all grandfathers now, with dozens of aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. Most of the generations above student age are involved in education. Some public, some private. Ranging from elementary to post-graduate teaching and administration.

Not a single family member will be returning to in person classes or administration nor will any of the - mind numbing number of school age - kids be doing anything but remote or home schooling during the foreseeable future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 11:22PM by RgrF.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 04, 2020 10:17AM
well, we'll see how well this works over the next couple of months:

my kid's university is doing random tests...which you can't refuse on penalty of being kicked off campus.

still, I expect enough cases will pop up there that everyone gets kicked off campus again.

fortunately my kid's classes (& major) don't require anything in-person.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 10:21AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 05, 2020 08:39AM
Pretty sure UVA has reversed course, going virtual this fall.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 05, 2020 08:47AM
sekker
Pretty sure UVA has reversed course, going virtual this fall.

Yesterday they announced a 2-week delay to having students return to campus.

Hard to see how much difference that's going to make.

[news.virginia.edu]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020