advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Might've gotten buried in samintx's thread: how Trump could steal the election
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 04, 2020 07:58AM
[slate.com]

... unfortunately, the picture they paint is not at all unlikely ... the question is, what can be done about it at this point, other than urging people to send in their mail-in ballots early?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Might've gotten buried in samintx's thread: how Trump could steal the election
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 04, 2020 09:12AM
Yes, I believe 45 will go to any lengths, reasonable or unreasonable, to declare his victory if he really doesn’t get the electoral votes. I am also worried about riots and mayhem no matter who wins the presidents seat.

I hope the Forum will read both our posts. I just hope Congress, both sides, keep a strong backbone during the upcoming election.
Re: Might've gotten buried in samintx's thread: how Trump could steal the election
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 04, 2020 09:48AM
I expect His Orange Emperor to try to make the day-of vote to be in his favor and then blame mail-in voting (that is likely to be against him) all fraudulent.
Date: August 04, 2020 10:18AM
sekker
I expect His Orange Emperor to try to make the day-of vote to be in his favor and then blame mail-in voting (that is likely to be against him) all fraudulent.

That's exactly what I think too. Or get his crony (who is now in charge of the USPS) to delay the mails, such that the mail-in ballots all arrive past the deadline.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 04, 2020 11:04AM
Maybe we can encourage those with mail in ballots to drop them off at official election department drop boxes to take the load off the USPS. Little more work but no standing in line…

=wr=
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 04, 2020 11:24AM
wave rider
Maybe we can encourage those with mail in ballots to drop them off at official election department drop boxes to take the load off the USPS. Little more work but no standing in line…

This is a good idea.
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 04, 2020 11:25AM
This is the first year Virginia has had mail in voting for everyone. In the past ai qualified for absentee. Another improvement was the addition of early voting. I may do that instead. Depends on how my local registrar sets it up.

Congress really needs to pound Trump’s crony head of the USPS.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 04, 2020 12:05PM
sekker
wave rider

This is a good idea.

I was thinking of doing exactly that.
My friend dropped off her absentee ballot for a runoff the other day

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 04, 2020 12:25PM
wave rider

Good idea, but those who are doing mail in ballots may be doing so because of corona, so going out to drop them off sort of defeats the purpose. Also, a lot of places do not have official election department drop boxes... unless you mean the voter registrar offices, which are typically in places like a city hall or courthouse, and so are often even less accessible.

Me personally, I'm definitely going to mail it in early, but for folks who are unaware of all of these things... it could be a serious problem.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 04, 2020 12:26PM
I know lots of folks who are dropping mail-in ballots at early voting stations, where you can deliver it directly to an elections official/box.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 04, 2020 01:00PM
Just a little data point about processing large amounts of mail.

On July 9th I mailed two First Class envelopes from my local post office, one going to Utah the other going to Arizona. Both contained checks. No tracking or special request, just a standard First Class stamp on each.

The check to Arizona was cashed on August 3rd, the check sent to Utah still hasn't been cashed.

Both were income tax payments, and this is an indication of the mailing and processing time of mail that contains incoming money where there should be a motivation to process it quickly.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 04, 2020 01:08PM
GGD
Both were income tax payments, and this is an indication of the mailing and processing time of mail that contains incoming money where there should be a motivation to process it quickly.

the processing in this case may have more to do with the tax office staffing than USPS. Tax returns mailed in late winter/spring were put in boxes and warehoused as the staff to process them had been furloughed.

my county had one drop box for mail-in ballots. it was outside the county courthouse and you had to park and walk over to it. i assume they had security cameras on it and made you walk up so there couldn't be a drive by bomb drop or something. even still, no contact was involved so it was a relatively safe way to go in a pandemic.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 04, 2020 02:04PM
I've decided to just go to early voting. I don't want any question that my vote counts.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 04, 2020 02:13PM
rgG
sekker
wave rider

This is a good idea.

I was thinking of doing exactly that.
My friend dropped off her absentee ballot for a runoff the other day

My sister in Portland is thinking about dropping hers off.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 04, 2020 09:55PM
Just dropped our off today in Seattle. Huge very secure steel vault-like boxes on front of designated locations, like library branches. I know of one situated at the edge of a park parking lot. You can drive up and drop it off through your rolled down car window.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Date: August 04, 2020 10:43PM
Racer X
Just dropped our off today in Seattle. Huge very secure steel vault-like boxes on front of designated locations, like library branches. I know of one situated at the edge of a park parking lot. You can drive up and drop it off through your rolled down car window.

That sure beats my state, where to drop off, you're likely to have to go through at least one metal detector, show your ID, and deal/interact with a number of other people along the way who should, but may not, be wearing masks.

Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 05, 2020 03:42AM
We also have a box outside of our township hall where you can drive up and drop it off. Easy-peasy and safe.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018