advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
First day of school in a Georgia town. One of the biggest virus hot zones in the world..
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 04, 2020 08:06PM
Yikes

I saw this on Reddit. Felt shocked. Know I shouldn’t be.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: First day of school in a Georgia town. One of the biggest virus hot zones in the world..
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 04, 2020 08:10PM
There are a bunch of posts on Twitter showing senior photos... The entire senior class from each school gathered together shoulder-to-shoulder in tight rows for their pics.

Georgia seems intent on wiping itself out.

Re: First day of school in a Georgia town. One of the biggest virus hot zones in the world..
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 04, 2020 08:13PM
They'll need fewer chairs for graduation in June.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 04, 2020 08:25PM
Steve G.

They'll need fewer chairs for graduation in June.

Fewer parents calling the school, too.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 04, 2020 08:33PM
Easy to tell which ones are Young Republicans and which are Young Democrats.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 08:34PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 04, 2020 09:11PM
Ombligo
Easy to tell which ones are Young Republicans and which are Young Democrats.

All of them are Young Idiots

And the schools that ignored, allowed, or encouraged it? Felony Stupid
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 04, 2020 09:12PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 04, 2020 10:17PM
Ugh, I was at the Costco in Woodstock today. We were wearing masks, as was everyone in the store, but if I had seen this before I went, I doubt I would have gone.
When I saw this on the news, I was just amazed, and disgusted.

[www.cbs46.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 10:21PM by rgG.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 04, 2020 11:23PM
.......Georgia......on my mind.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 04, 2020 11:56PM
The kids are helpless tools - being ping-ponged between parents, educators, medical professionals and politicians.

(let the Oxford comma die the ignoble death it deserves)
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 05, 2020 12:18AM
medical politicians? huh smiley I'm confused.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 05, 2020 12:25AM
That's as it should be!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 12:27AM by RgrF.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 05, 2020 04:26AM
How much do you want to bet that the mask wearers are getting teased for wearing the masks?

Then there is this. Two seniors started a petition to have masks mandatory, which was soon followed by a petition to keep mask wearing elective.

keyt.com
Face masks are strongly encouraged, but not mandatory.

“It’s scary because we don’t know who’s going to wear one and who’s not. Someone could have it and not know and be asymptomatic and still spread it and not wear a mask. There’s still so much unknown,” said Hope Terhune, a 12th-grade student at Jefferson High School. Terhune and classmate Rylee Meadows started a petition for the Board of Education to mandate masks.

But an opposing petition was started soon after, asking that students be given the choice to wear a mask, or not. “I wanted to show the Board of Education, since they saw the other petition, that not everyone felt that way; that there were still people that thought we should have the choice,” said Brett Kelley, a 10th-grade student at Jefferson High School.

::snip::

“The bottom line is, there’s other things out there that are more dangerous. This has been so politicized, I don’t think we know what to believe,” said Lin Kelley, Brett’s dad.

“I’m really proud of the Jefferson School System, the administrators, the board. There’s a lot of pressure on them, and I think they made a tough decision. I think they made the right decision. Our kids, I think, learn better in person,” added Kelley.

MAGA Covidiots.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 05, 2020 06:26AM
Showed that pic to my senior. That would have been his school had we stayed in Woodstock. It’s always bizarre to see large groups of people today who don’t understand how clueless they appear to others.

The mask issue is the same everywhere, with “choice” being hailed as a win for all, as if wearing one is “being allowed” to wear one.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 05, 2020 07:59AM
[www.cnn.com]

Second grader tests positive after first day of school in Cherokee County, GA.
Teacher and 20 classmates are quarantined.
District has no mask requirement for students.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 05, 2020 08:21AM
Lemon Drop
[www.cnn.com]

Second grader tests positive after first day of school in Cherokee County, GA.
Teacher and 20 classmates are quarantined.
District has no mask requirement for students.

Unfortunately, in some areas of the country, what I fear this will evolve to is “please don’t have your child tested unless he is in the hospital (and even then maybe keep that quiet).”

Don’t ask don’t tell is not a good strategy for a pandemic either.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 05, 2020 08:27AM
Chatted with the parents of a 10 year old boy here in South Carolina yesterday afternoon - he goes back to school next week, in-person 2 days a week. They fully expect the district to shut down within a month. Said online school had worked fine for him in the spring but the lack of social time and sports is very difficult.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 05, 2020 09:31AM
I can't understand any of this.

I realize that these are teenagers, who are not exactly known for always making the best decisions.

That's why there are adults, who should be making rules to protect kids, and encouraging/modeling good decision making by example. Therefore, I feel like we certainly can't blame the kids, if the parents and other adults are being covidiots.

One gets the impression in this case that both the parents and kids think that the kids are somehow immune. While it's true that they're less likely to die or be hospitalized, the risk of MIS-C is significant and obviously they can transmit to their parents, grandparents, etc. So the question is whether the kids and their parents are simply uninformed, or they know all about it and are simply choosing to ignore the facts.

Edit: oh, and don't forget that some kids/college students are apparently buying faked test results...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 09:32AM by PeterB.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 05, 2020 05:41PM
It’s my suspicion that school districts already know they’ll be shutting down, piecemeal. A class here, a class there, this sports team out, that sports program gone/forfeited until someone at the state level asks them why they’re still open, for which the answer will rightfully be, “Because all things considered we weren’t really given a viable option, jackass.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018