Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Another side of Kamala...?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 05, 2020 09:46AM
Just ran across this:

[www.kveller.com]

... it's too bad that stuff like this wasn't so visible during the primaries. All of it really softens her and gives a very different impression of her, versus what came across during the campaign, debates, etc., which was mostly (at least to me) someone very aggressive (consistent with her being a DA, but still not something really likable) ... this would have humanized her quite a bit.

It's kind of like how I feel about Joe sometimes, too... he comes across as disjointed, bizarre old hoot type ... that was especially evident during the primaries/debates, when he was coming across as a crazy attack dog... but when he actually smiles... then it's like his real self is shining through. Less yelling, more smiling, Joe.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 09:47AM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another side of Kamala...?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 05, 2020 11:24AM
Gotta look tough so voters know you can go up against the Chicoms and Russkies. Unless you are a Republican, then it’s only the Chicoms.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: kj
Date: August 05, 2020 12:29PM
PeterB
Just ran across this:

[www.kveller.com]

... it's too bad that stuff like this wasn't so visible during the primaries. All of it really softens her and gives a very different impression of her, versus what came across during the campaign, debates, etc., which was mostly (at least to me) someone very aggressive (consistent with her being a DA, but still not something really likable) ... this would have humanized her quite a bit.

It's kind of like how I feel about Joe sometimes, too... he comes across as disjointed, bizarre old hoot type ... that was especially evident during the primaries/debates, when he was coming across as a crazy attack dog... but when he actually smiles... then it's like his real self is shining through. Less yelling, more smiling, Joe.

Man, I notice the same thing. I think they are trying to go "toe to toe" with Trump. You can't win that battle! You can't fight with him and win. You need to influence people not fight with the other side.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 05, 2020 01:05PM
So she's not afraid to admit she bakes cookies from time to time?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 05, 2020 01:10PM
The problem is that people can be nice in their private lives and horrible as a politician. Bush the second, for instance.
Date: August 05, 2020 02:09PM
1) I don't want whatever debates end up happening (in whatever form) between Biden and Trump to turn into a shouting match. Not only is that not what the purpose is, nor what we as voters should want, but it'd likely be ultimately destructive for Biden -- since as kj points out, you shouldn't use bullying tactics on a bully. He needs to be shown for the child that he is... put in a corner and given a time-out, that's what you do with bullying toddlers.

2) She wasn't making cookies, she was making her go-to roast chicken, and I can see either her, Biden, or Obama doing this kind of stuff (that is to say, NORMAL stuff, that all of us do every so often) ... Trump, not so much. If Trump tried to make chicken or bake cookies ... well, that's a mental image that I will allow you to fill in with your own imagination. grinning smiley

3) True enough that people can be nice privately and horrible politically/publicly, or the converse. Still, it's nice to see a side of someone other than just what you're seeing on the campaign trail or in pre-produced, vetted-for-TV still life captures. I'm reminded of the videos of Obama taking a walk or Joe and Barack going for a run.

Edit: heck, I'd even be happy seeing Joe or Kamala (or whoever) hanging out with their families, playing with their pets, or whatever. Remember, we're talking about normality here. Also worth pointing out yet again that Orange Dump has NO pets in the WH ... he claims he doesn't have the time (???) [www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 02:17PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 05, 2020 02:15PM
I like what the feminist writer Jessica Valenti had to say about how Harris and others are being spoken about:

[gen.medium.com]

"The VP candidate isn't being vetted, she's being scrutinized"...and I'd add, in a way that men never are.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 05, 2020 02:24PM
anonymouse1
The problem is that people can be nice in their private lives and horrible as a politician. Bush the second, for instance.

yyyyyup.
Date: August 05, 2020 02:24PM
Lemon Drop
I like what the feminist writer Jessica Valenti had to say about how Harris and others are being spoken about:

[gen.medium.com]

"The VP candidate isn't being vetted, she's being scrutinized"...and I'd add, in a way that men never are.

With respect, I don't think this is it (at least not in my case, and maybe a bit more generally) ... since a lot of folks are thinking that Joe will likely only be a one-term president, or could die in office, that changes the equation quite a bit.

I personally was wholly in favor of Hillary, even when she was being called "nasty" and "bossy", a name that rhymes with witch, and all manner of other words... had she chosen to run again, I would have wanted her as the nominee... she was beyond qualified.

I WANT a female candidate, I agree with Joe on that one... I'm just not sure that Kamala is the right one. Seeing stuff that humanizes her makes me like her more, that would be true for a male candidate as well.

Posted by: bfd
Date: August 05, 2020 02:26PM
Lemon Drop

[gen.medium.com]

Yep. Like a bunch of high-school boys debating who's should be the top 5 for prom queen. Actually, it's even a little worse.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 05, 2020 02:35PM
Lemon Drop

[gen.medium.com]

Are the other candidates, who are presumably all female, being scrutinized in the same manner?
Date: August 05, 2020 02:41PM
p8712
Lemon Drop

[gen.medium.com]

Are the other candidates, who are presumably all female, being scrutinized in the same manner?

If you read the article you see that she's referring to all the candidates, not only Kamala Harris. I think people may be making assumptions about what is in the article; it's an interesting read.
Posted by: kj
Date: August 05, 2020 02:53PM
I think Biden was a terrible choice, and he's the dreaded old white male. I'll scrutinize him all day long. I favor Keisha Lance Bottoms for Vp. I don't know how Jessica Valenti would find a way to make that about gender.

There's a lot riding on what democrats choose to do in this election. There's going to be a lot of scrutiny. More than usual. Like it or not, they blew it with Hillary, and people are worried they are going to blow it again. Plus, people seem to believe there is a high probability the VP will end up president.

And there is a weird friction between social activism and electability that is making things more difficult, especially for politicians.
Date: August 05, 2020 03:02PM
Lemon Drop
p8712
Lemon Drop

[gen.medium.com]

If you read the article you see that she's referring to all the candidates, not only Kamala Harris. I think people may be making assumptions about what is in the article; it's an interesting read.

I read Valente’s book on virginity and purity culture. I figured that was enough reading.
Date: August 05, 2020 03:04PM
Agree with kj that I like Keisha L-B, in fact I'd love to see her as VP, but disagree that Joe was a terrible choice. Yes, he's the dreaded old white male, but then so was Bernie. I actually think we had a number of good candidates in contention this go-round, each with their own particular strengths and flaws. Joe is/was the "safe" choice, a little bit in the same way that Kamala is the safe choice for VP. (Again, each VP candidate has her own strengths and flaws.) I simply disagree with Jessica Valenti's perspective, though I can definitely see her viewpoint and completely understand why she feels the way she does.

Date: August 05, 2020 03:18PM
OK, I read the article. I will agree with the general consensus that Abrams does not have enough experience. She would’ve had to have won the election, even though it was stolen from her, and sat in the seat for a while wielding power before I would feel comfortable voting for her. Given who’s in the White House now, we should all have learned a lesson that you shouldn’t vote for someone with little experience based on your feelings for them, even if they are positive feelings and the person is likely competent.
Date: August 05, 2020 03:21PM
p8712
Lemon Drop
p8712
Lemon Drop

[gen.medium.com]

I read Valente’s book on virginity and purity culture. I figured that was enough reading.

The Purity Myth is a great book - I wish all young people could read that. Would help their mental/emotional health a lot.
Date: August 05, 2020 03:28PM
p8712
OK, I read the article. I will agree with the general consensus that Abrams does not have enough experience. She would’ve had to have won the election, even though it was stolen from her, and sat in the seat for a while wielding power before I would feel comfortable voting for her. Given who’s in the White House now, we should all have learned a lesson that you shouldn’t vote for someone with little experience based on your feelings for them, even if they are positive feelings and the person is likely competent.

Abrams is not a contender for the role. She campaigned for it which created the impression that she was a contender. She was never on Biden's short list.

The only person on his short list who has never held a statewide elected office is Susan Rice. She's never held any elected office yet a lot of people take her seriously as a contender.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 05, 2020 03:35PM
PeterB
Seeing stuff that humanizes her makes me like her more, that would be true for a male candidate as well.

It seems to me that if your esteem for her goes up on the basis of a cooking-demonstration, there's something flawed in your evaluation. If Drumpf puts on a performance that he can throw something in an oven, suddenly he's a better candidate for it?

PeterB
I WANT a female candidate, I agree with Joe on that one... I'm just not sure that Kamala is the right one.

From my vantage, she's qualified to be president, which makes her A right one if not THE right one.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for THE right one. "Perfect is the enemy of good-enough."

My focus on her record as a prosecutor hasn't been to evaluate her suitability for the role, it's been to evaluate (for myself) what checks she'll need from Congress and the courts and from lobbyists when she's the boss.

Date: August 05, 2020 03:56PM
Sarcany
PeterB
Seeing stuff that humanizes her makes me like her more, that would be true for a male candidate as well.

It seems to me that if your esteem for her goes up on the basis of a cooking-demonstration, there's something flawed in your evaluation. If Drumpf puts on a performance that he can throw something in an oven, suddenly he's a better candidate for it?

Did you read the whole article I posted? It wasn't just about her cooking demo, it was about her family life, her relationship with her husband and in-laws, her interests outside of politics, etc. Basically that she's a human being and not just a candidate. Trump is very definitely NOT a human being, so far as I'm concerned... he's more along the lines of some sort of weird space alien.

Sarcany
PeterB
I WANT a female candidate, I agree with Joe on that one... I'm just not sure that Kamala is the right one.

From my vantage, she's qualified to be president, which makes her A right one if not THE right one.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for THE right one. "Perfect is the enemy of good-enough."

My focus on her record as a prosecutor hasn't been to evaluate her suitability for the role, it's been to evaluate (for myself) what checks she'll need from Congress and the courts and from lobbyists when she's the boss.

"Right" maybe wasn't the right word. grinning smiley ... "best" is probably a better one. I agree that she's qualified, but it's also not just all about qualifications for me. And I also agree that "good enough" is fine in this situation... that's what we've got with Biden.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2020 03:56PM by PeterB.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 05, 2020 10:47PM
Lemon Drop

[gen.medium.com]

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018