advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Even if Biden wins, he could get dragged down by the pandemic like LBJ did with Vietnam.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 07, 2020 05:57PM
Agree?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Even if Biden wins, he could get dragged down by the pandemic like LBJ did with Vietnam.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 07, 2020 06:07PM
Not if he pays attention to the experts and works with a good team to come up with a reasoned plan and timeline for execution.

He's no Gerald Ford.

Re: Even if Biden wins, he could get dragged down by the pandemic like LBJ did with Vietnam.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 07, 2020 06:10PM
Dennis S
Agree?

Nope. If he tries to do everything he can, and it's obvious that he is, I think most reasonable folks will cut him a break ... since obviously the virus/pandemic/situation wasn't his fault or of his making... he's obviously inheriting a hot mess. I think what a lot of people, myself included, are looking for is -- someone who actually listens to the scientists / doctors / experts and does what they say to do; and is actually sympathetic / compassionate to the situation / loss of life and income. Orange Dump does none of these things.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2020 06:11PM by PeterB.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 07, 2020 06:17PM
He’ll be left a huge mess to clean up, deficits, etc. Hopefully the Democrats will control Congress.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 07, 2020 06:35PM
No, it's too tied to Trump.
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 07, 2020 07:26PM
He's gonna be one term, by choice I think.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 07, 2020 08:02PM
btfc
He’ll be left a huge mess to clean up, deficits, etc. Hopefully the Democrats will control Congress.

Very much this. If the Republicans have control of the Senate they certainly will resurrect austerianism to block necessary fiscal spending to get the economy going quicker - just like they did with Obama.

Democrats winning control of the Senate is crucial, but even if they do, they will have to deal with a reincarnated blue dog coalition (fiscal conservative leaning and centrist oriented) so quite a few initiatives will probably have to be less aggressive than the progressive wing of the party would prefer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2020 08:07PM by Ted King.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 07, 2020 08:05PM
The changes that are bound to be coming in the next 10 years … those lives that are left won't ever be the same as they were, ever again.

#MAGA

Only I can do it

Thanks, Dumbf.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 07, 2020 08:08PM
LBJ got dragged down by Vietnam because he was trapped between a rock and a hard place, not wishing to follow the desires of the hawks but also not wishing to be perceived as a dove. So he muddled around in a kind of middling piddling way that was doomed to failure.

Biden is obviously not going to putz around like that when it comes to this pandemic. There isn't a "safe" middle ground. He may displease the people who want us to open everything up and take Hydroxychloroquine, Azithromycin, and Zinc if we all get sick as a result. But those people already hate him, so he needn't worry about what their opinion is regarding how to deal with the virus. And they will never become a majority anyhow, so he can ignore them.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 07, 2020 08:23PM
Even if they do gain control of all three branches and even if they act in a unified manner (don't count on that) there are simply no easy or even difficult answers to the myriad of problem being left to them.

It's going to take a full term just to undo the Trumpian damage all the while taking a full right-wing barrage of attacks and lies.

it took the GOP but one full presidential term to rebound from the Nixon debacle so they know the playbook.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 07, 2020 08:28PM
If other countries are successful in managing and recovering, then there's no reason why we can't learn from them, and do what works starting in January. USA is now a "follower" instead of a "leader".
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 07, 2020 10:11PM
The crazies *still* blame Obama for the "speed" of the recovery post recession. They lack the ability to reason, and I'm sure they'll do the same again, for the coming recession/depression.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 08, 2020 05:39AM
I'm afraid many will want an immediate cure to all the issues and be upset if it doesn't happen. Many Americans think things should be fixed and back to pre-pandemic normal in a matter of weeks instead of years it will actually take.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 08, 2020 09:06AM
As I understand it, LBJ doubled down and greatly expanded the Vietnam war. We can thank McNamara for his “assistance” there. By boxing himself into an idea, he knew he couldn’t change course to garner election support.

I don’t see Biden repeating Trump’s mistakes re: the pandemic. There’s no analogy to make there.

Ombligo
I'm afraid many will want an immediate cure to all the issues and be upset if it doesn't happen. Many Americans think things should be fixed and back to pre-pandemic normal in a matter of weeks instead of years it will actually take.

To be sure. They’ll be looking for miracles by Feb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020