advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
So my niece gave me a "Settle for Biden" bumper sticker
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 07, 2020 07:28PM
and I've put it on the car.

I didn't know about this group. Like me, she's a big fan of Elizabeth Warren.

I doubt I'll be mistaken for a Bernie bro.

[www.settleforbiden.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So my niece gave me a "Settle for Biden" bumper sticker
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 07, 2020 07:49PM
I would settle for 1/100 Biden and I would even settle for any random person picked from the homeless than for this IDIOT who had 6 bankruptcies and is destroying US every single day.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 07, 2020 08:13PM
I would settle for OJ.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 07, 2020 08:15PM
maybe she just misspelled 'Seattle for Biden'?
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 07, 2020 08:32PM
Dennis S
I would settle for OJ.

I would settle for anyone on this FORUM smiley12
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 07, 2020 08:34PM
samintx
Dennis S
I would settle for OJ.

I would settle for anyone on this FORUM smiley12

Glad to have your vote!

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 07, 2020 08:37PM
Buck's still here.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 07, 2020 09:08PM
RgrF
Buck's still here.

he would still be better that Trump.

The ONLY way I would vote for Trump is if he was running agains Hitler, AND if I were forced to vote.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 07, 2020 09:28PM
I think that's mostly an expression of personal disgruntlement and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 07, 2020 10:09PM
For me, If Bernie won, I wouldn't put a "settle for Bernie" sticker on my car. I'd put every ounce of my energy into seeing that the Democrat is elected. And I can't stand him.

One thing these young people are going to eventually understand, is that if they want to tippy toe around being a Democrat, they won't wield any discernible power within that superstructure.

They're all about "this is what works, it's the truth and you just need to get on board, or be considered a fool." The whole concept of "winning someone's support" is anathema to them.

The people that stood strongly for Biden doesn't think he's something to settle for. They believe he's a fine politician and can be the polar opposite of what Donald Trump is. They just don't believe in Unicorn theories. Anyone that is elected, pushing some pie in the sky will find themselves marginalized to the fringes of the party.

Nothing wrong with dreaming and being aspirational, but they still have to legislate every day.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 08, 2020 08:18AM
Yeah I’m not settling for Biden although I have conservative friends who have told me they are convinced that I am.

At the very least that means they know I don’t like Trump. The part they can’t seem to separate is that I consider Biden to be the best choice today. Sounds like the same thing. It’s not.

No one should ignore their ideals. Where people get confused is how to move the peg forward, and that compromise is what makes any of this work. The young do NOT have a lock on this blind spot. As an example, my inlaws don’t vote, or might pick an independent, because they’re flat-out convinced everyone’s a crook and a liar and beholden to unseen groups other than We the People. Over the years they’ve seen so much go wrong they “know” the system is irredeemable. And so they delete their own power absolutely because they already feel powerless. I suppose it’s a way to take back self control and sleep better knowing they didn’t help anyone?

There will always be people who prefer not to participate in one of the greatest gifts they’ve been given: representational democracy.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 08, 2020 09:14AM
Too bad they don’t understand two party politics. You need to back the closest candidate, not your preferred candidate.

As noted here, if Bernie has won the nomination, I’d be happy to support him.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 08, 2020 11:06AM
sekker
Too bad they don’t understand two party politics. You need to back the closest candidate, not your preferred candidate.

As noted here, if Bernie has won the nomination, I’d be happy to support him.

Agreed. Accepting or not of our two-party system, it's reality at the moment. And don't give me any of that schit about "they're all the same."
Posted by: Ammo
Date: August 08, 2020 01:10PM
What vision63 said. Geez, I doubt that bumper sticker will inspire anyone to vote for Biden and it completely misses the urgency of this election. How can people think that their personal disappointment over Biden is more important than the result of the election itself?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 08, 2020 02:31PM
Yes, V63 did nail it. Again. That's why we're drafting him for the next rodeo.
Date: August 08, 2020 03:40PM
Ammo
What vision63 said. Geez, I doubt that bumper sticker will inspire anyone to vote for Biden and it completely misses the urgency of this election. How can people think that their personal disappointment over Biden is more important than the result of the election itself?

I'm baffled by this comment.

First off, bumper stickers do not persuade voters. All they do is cement the view of the car's owner. The owner of that car may or may not be someone who can influence others to vote for a certain candidate, but I know from decades of experience with political campaigns that bumper stickers alone don't do jack, except give you a way to get people's data by offering to send one for free (that's the reason they do that...)

Second, this slogan is all about urgency, it's not really about anything else. It has never been more important for people to rally around this candidate, whether that person was their first choice or not. It's saying to everyone who didn't have Biden as first choice, regardless of party, please support him.

It also signals to people who DID have Biden as first choice that I'm on board with them.

There's also a subtle joke built into this bumper sticker that may only land with women. That's fine.

This is the second time in my life I've put a political bumper sticker on my car. The other time was in 2003 and it was "War is not the answer."

As for criticizing my smart, politically engaged niece and her peers who are active in politics, who are Democrats, and who did not have Joe Biden as their first choice but who have committed to vote for him, support him and ask others to do so...why?

And I'll say it again, white men brought us Donald Trump. 62% of them voted for him. Not young people. Not college-educated women who happen to like Elizabeth Warren a lot. We're not the problem.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 08, 2020 06:03PM
vision63
For me, If Bernie won, I wouldn't put a "settle for Bernie" sticker on my car. I'd put every ounce of my energy into seeing that the Democrat is elected. And I can't stand him.

One thing these young people are going to eventually understand, is that if they want to tippy toe around being a Democrat, they won't wield any discernible power within that superstructure.

They're all about "this is what works, it's the truth and you just need to get on board, or be considered a fool." The whole concept of "winning someone's support" is anathema to them.

The people that stood strongly for Biden doesn't think he's something to settle for. They believe he's a fine politician and can be the polar opposite of what Donald Trump is. They just don't believe in Unicorn theories. Anyone that is elected, pushing some pie in the sky will find themselves marginalized to the fringes of the party.

Nothing wrong with dreaming and being aspirational, but they still have to legislate every day.

Quoted for truth.

The left is becoming overconfident, and will set themselves up for 2016 all over again If they’re not careful. Trump is not fatally wounded, not even close. But he is going to fight with his usual everything but the kitchen sink, ‘Morals? Ethics? Who me?’ approach.

Even wry, ‘ironic’, smirking equivocation is territory best resisted. Every vote (that makes it through) will still count and every voter who at that last slightly inconvenient moment decides, eh, maybe they don’t really need my vote, may be one too many.

Unwavering resolve is our version of wearing a mask.
Date: August 08, 2020 06:19PM
The left is becoming overconfident,

what's your evidence to back up this opinion? I think it's completely wrong. I've never seen Democrats so committed to vote. Ever. Been voting for 40 years.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 08, 2020 06:52PM
What should be getting as much spotlight as the latest gaffe or outrage.

The Hill/Rising (You Tube)
Don’t Look Now, Trump May Be Making a Comeback

The Bulwark
How to Steal an Election

CNN
New polls suggest Trump's position has stabilized

The mood amongst the left is not reflecting this, is beggining to reflect confidence where tenacity is still the best option. The sky isn’t falling, but don’t pack away the umbrellas and break out the bathing suits yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 06:58PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: August 08, 2020 07:41PM
Blankity Blank
What should be getting as much spotlight as the latest gaffe or outrage.

The Hill/Rising (You Tube)
Don’t Look Now, Trump May Be Making a Comeback

The Bulwark
How to Steal an Election

CNN
New polls suggest Trump's position has stabilized

The mood amongst the left is not reflecting this, is beggining to reflect confidence where tenacity is still the best option. The sky isn’t falling, but don’t pack away the umbrellas and break out the bathing suits yet.

I consider this election a national emergency. I'm scared to death that so many of my fellow Americans want another 4 years of Trump, and he's killing us, literally. I'm terrified that we may not have a fair election.

From my POV the sky IS falling. And voting is our only defense. I'm not confident in a Biden win and I don't know a soul who is, I'm just doing all I can to try and make it happen.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 08, 2020 09:08PM
Trump is killing us and is a complete scumbag, yet, probably at least 45% of the voting public will vote for him. All he has to do is keep from overwhelming ICU's. Let the governors call for all the shutdowns that might work to take pressure off ICU's and then grab every iota of gain they make and claim it for himself while pretending that we don't need to socially isolate, mask and test more. Every time things get hot in any state/region, pretend it isn't happening and if there's a Democratic governor involved, blame them.

So, with cheating and if his "wing it" plan for the virus keeps deaths at about several hundred per day on average, then he could win an electoral college victory with 46% or 47% sub-plurality. He would be relying us getting jaded to the deaths and keeping them hidden behind a flurry of horse @#$%&.

The psychology of this election is really interesting. I think even if we ride hot waves in different places and it never goes too crazy for too long in any one place, that there will still be enough trauma, personal and broadly economically, caused by the the virus because Trump didn't lead the nation into a more rational response, that there is a high likelihood that he will lose the election in a somewhat convincing manner. But if a lot of people become sanguine about the election because they think it is likely he'll lose, there may not be enough turn-out to actually make him lose. So sanguinity bad. Not allowed. But I still think Trump will lose.
Date: August 08, 2020 11:31PM
Ted King
Trump is killing us and is a complete scumbag, yet, probably at least 45% of the voting public will vote for him. All he has to do is keep from overwhelming ICU's. Let the governors call for all the shutdowns that might work to take pressure off ICU's and then grab every iota of gain they make and claim it for himself while pretending that we don't need to socially isolate, mask and test more. Every time things get hot in any state/region, pretend it isn't happening and if there's a Democratic governor involved, blame them.

So, with cheating and if his "wing it" plan for the virus keeps deaths at about several hundred per day on average, then he could win an electoral college victory with 46% or 47% sub-plurality. He would be relying us getting jaded to the deaths and keeping them hidden behind a flurry of horse @#$%&.

The psychology of this election is really interesting. I think even if we ride hot waves in different places and it never goes too crazy for too long in any one place, that there will still be enough trauma, personal and broadly economically, caused by the the virus because Trump didn't lead the nation into a more rational response, that there is a high likelihood that he will lose the election in a somewhat convincing manner. But if a lot of people become sanguine about the election because they think it is likely he'll lose, there may not be enough turn-out to actually make him lose. So sanguinity bad. Not allowed. But I still think Trump will lose.

Really interesting insight. So much gaming going on.
Date: August 09, 2020 01:56AM
White men showed up in 2016 and voted. That’s why we are in this terrible place.

I have two millennial kids. Their friends loved Bernie and then largely failed to vote when Hilary won the nomination.

This is an all-hans-on-deck election. The young need to get with the program and show up and vote for Biden.

I don’t count on my white male friends who are offended by my BLM sign in my yard to change their mind.

I’m counting on my fellow non-brain washed citizens to vote.

Any disparaging comments on Biden is just sad and reduces the chance at fixing our Democracy.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 09, 2020 09:48AM
sekker
This is an all-hans-on-deck election.

Now the Germans are trying to influence our elections too! smiley-shocked003
Date: August 09, 2020 11:57AM
DeusxMac
sekker
This is an all-hans-on-deck election.

Now the Germans are trying to influence our elections too! smiley-shocked003

If they are now US citizens, more power to them!

If not, they need to come and take their former countryman's children BACK.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 09, 2020 02:50PM
sekker
White men showed up in 2016 and voted. That’s why we are in this terrible place.

I have two millennial kids. Their friends loved Bernie and then largely failed to vote when Hilary won the nomination.

This is an all-hans-on-deck election. The young need to get with the program and show up and vote for Biden.

I don’t count on my white male friends who are offended by my BLM sign in my yard to change their mind.

Any disparaging comments on Biden is just sad and reduces the chance at fixing our Democracy.

This.

I think of where we'd be right now, if in just three states, more Dems who weren't thrilled with voting for Hillary actually showed up to the booths, held their noses, and voted for her anyway. We would have had President Clinton instead of Orange Dump, and would likely have a MUCH different situation right now, and wouldn't be in the position we all now find ourselves in-- where the results of a vote will literally make the difference between life and death for a large number of our fellow citizens.

The truly concerning part is what LD brought up, that there's a better-than-even chance that the results of the election will be interfered with, either before, during, or afterwards. Unless there's a Biden landslide, the picture is grim.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: August 09, 2020 04:34PM
PeterB
sekker

This.

I think of where we'd be right now, if in just three states, more Dems who weren't thrilled with voting for Hillary actually showed up to the booths, held their noses, and voted for her anyway. We would have had President Clinton instead of Orange Dump, and would likely have a MUCH different situation right now, and wouldn't be in the position we all now find ourselves in-- where the results of a vote will literally make the difference between life and death for a large number of our fellow citizens.

The truly concerning part is what LD brought up, that there's a better-than-even chance that the results of the election will be interfered with, either before, during, or afterwards. Unless there's a Biden landslide, the picture is grim.

If Hillary had won, we'd still probably (maybe not) wouldn't know how to appreciate her and the solutions oriented government she would have developed. She'd be getting hammered by far left and pilloried by the right.

We're a spoiledass country that will allow our hard-won freedoms to drain through the grates. We re-contextualize history, revising it to suit whatever stances have become the flavor of the moment. It's only because of a sensible core, that is now old and dying out that we get a chance for some redemption. To salvage our threatened liberty. So many people have had to pay the price for this irresponsibility. I'm speaking generally.

Everybody wants to speak "truth to power," but they don't want to speak the truth to themselves. That it's not about me, it's about all of us.
Date: August 09, 2020 05:10PM
vision63
PeterB
sekker

This.

If Hillary had won, we'd still probably (maybe not) wouldn't know how to appreciate her and the solutions oriented government she would have developed. She'd be getting hammered by far left and pilloried by the right.

We're a spoiledass country that will allow our hard-won freedoms to drain through the grates. We re-contextualize history, revising it to suit whatever stances have become the flavor of the moment. It's only because of a sensible core, that is now old and dying out that we get a chance for some redemption. To salvage our threatened liberty. So many people have had to pay the price for this irresponsibility. I'm speaking generally.

Everybody wants to speak "truth to power," but they don't want to speak the truth to themselves. That it's not about me, it's about all of us.

You've got a few points there; I would like to believe that, had Hillary been in charge, we wouldn't have had the currently 96,000+ deaths due to Trump that we currently have. [trumpdeathclock.com] ... it's true that we might not have appreciated this, since obviously we wouldn't have known the alternative.

As for your speaking generally (your second point), there's a view that because virtually no generation in recent memory has had to fight in a war of global proportions (our WWII veterans having mostly died out), there's an utter lack of awareness of what really counts and what's worth fighting for. Maybe this pandemic will change that, if ever so slightly.

If it really is all about all of us, then this vote is quite possibly the most important one in recent history. Leadership does really matter ... as the last 3.5 years point out.

Date: August 09, 2020 06:32PM
If you're stuck in the 1990s it's time for a point of view update. An entire generation has grown up since Bill Clinton was president. Heck, if you're stuck in 2008 that's not gonna work either.

Let's look at kids born in the early 90s. You think they had it easier than you?? Please.

They've had 3 major global economic downturns already, this current one is the 4th and will probably be much worse than 2007-12.

Job prospects for current college grads are dismal.

The worst terrorist attack on US soil and resultant decades of war and death in the Middle East. Trillions spent on that and not on infrastructure and other investments that would have created a better world for them.

The worst environmental crisis the world has ever seen, and looming disaster. Boomers completely failed to deal with it. Not young adult's fault, but they're going to have to live in that world.

Epic rises in the cost of housing, education and healthcare that make it impossible for most of them to own homes, save for retirement or other basics their parents took for granted.

Flat wages for most workers, gig economy, little chance for security

Out of control gun violence that turned their schools into anxiety-ridden lock-down drill zones.

Epidemics of anxiety and depression.

People in the streets because they're fed up with white supremacy and our system of racial injustice - something that the boomers failed to fix, and actually made worse while pretending to be "liberals."

And oh yeah, a global pandemic and failed leadership that has ushered in sundown on their once great nation. They can't even leave the country if they wanted to.

So please, forgive them if they don't do jumping jacks for a 1990s era old white guy. They get why he has to win, it's OK to be disappointed that he's our choice. There were better options. These kids aren't stupid. They're just praying he makes it through the debates without saying something stupid about Black people or women.

They are out there doing the political and social justice work that desperately must be done. They have social media so power is distributed in ways it never has been before. That makes the old folk very nervous.

Try encouraging and supporting theses people you claim to need so much. Maybe try to see their point of view?
Date: August 09, 2020 07:24PM
Lemon Drop
If you're stuck in the 1990s it's time for a point of view update. An entire generation has grown up since Bill Clinton was president. Heck, if you're stuck in 2008 that's not gonna work either.

Let's look at kids born in the early 90s. You think they had it easier than you?? Please.

They've had 3 major global economic downturns already, this current one is the 4th and will probably be much worse than 2007-12.

Job prospects for current college grads are dismal.

The worst terrorist attack on US soil and resultant decades of war and death in the Middle East. Trillions spent on that and not on infrastructure and other investments that would have created a better world for them.

The worst environmental crisis the world has ever seen, and looming disaster. Boomers completely failed to deal with it. Not young adult's fault, but they're going to have to live in that world.

Epic rises in the cost of housing, education and healthcare that make it impossible for most of them to own homes, save for retirement or other basics their parents took for granted.

Flat wages for most workers, gig economy, little chance for security

Out of control gun violence that turned their schools into anxiety-ridden lock-down drill zones.

Epidemics of anxiety and depression.

People in the streets because they're fed up with white supremacy and our system of racial injustice - something that the boomers failed to fix, and actually made worse while pretending to be "liberals."

And oh yeah, a global pandemic and failed leadership that has ushered in sundown on their once great nation. They can't even leave the country if they wanted to.

So please, forgive them if they don't do jumping jacks for a 1990s era old white guy. They get why he has to win, it's OK to be disappointed that he's our choice. There were better options. These kids aren't stupid. They're just praying he makes it through the debates without saying something stupid about Black people or women.

They are out there doing the political and social justice work that desperately must be done. They have social media so power is distributed in ways it never has been before. That makes the old folk very nervous.

Try encouraging and supporting theses people you claim to need so much. Maybe try to see their point of view?

First of all, We weren't dead while everything that happened to them happened. It happened to us too. Secondly, they absolutely did NOT have it worse than I did (I don't know about everybody else). I was their age too. There were no cameras capturing anything. If the cops beat our asses, they didn't get caught. Like we weren't fed up with white supremacy? Everybody just hiring Black people without a fight left and right when I was coming up? When I was a boy, when we visited our people in Louisiana we sat in the balcony at the movies even though the law said we didn't have to. Lots of other things too.

I'm not forgiving anyone unless they do what they're supposed to do. The jury is still out on that. Everybody is way too soft on them. Their whole lives. If they showed up and simply voted in 2010, we'd still have the Voting Rights Act. Assault Weapons Ban extension, etc.
Date: August 09, 2020 08:03PM
LD, I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but ... you'll notice I included EVERYBODY (at least, everybody who didn't experience WWII and/or the Great Depression) as being out of touch with what really matters. Speaking with my grandfather (who has long since passed away, obviously, and who was a WWI [not WWII !] vet), was a huge eye-opener for me personally.

The millennials and Gen Z will blame the boomers. The boomers will say they did the best they could. Gen X (my generation) feels caught in the middle sometimes. I do agree with you that we have a responsibility to leave the planet and our country in a better place than we found it... it hasn't happened, for the most part.

No one is claiming that Biden is an ideal candidate... but I would make an argument that he was/is the best candidate -- especially under the circumstances, when what we really need is stability and a sense that the person at the helm is tried and true/battle-tested. I would also point out that there was another "1990s era white guy" that the millennials and Gen Z (and others!) were all crazy about, particularly because he was promising free tuition, forgiveness of student loans, single payer health care, etc., but his popularity apparently waned when it became clear he was a bit too far off center. And to dismiss Biden in this way isn't quite fair, either ... he was, after all, VP during the eight years of administration of our first Black president ... and who, arguably, is one of our most popular.

Date: August 09, 2020 08:25PM
vision63

I'm not forgiving anyone unless they do what they're supposed to do. The jury is still out on that. Everybody is way too soft on them. Their whole lives. If they showed up and simply voted in 2010, we'd still have the Voting Rights Act. Assault Weapons Ban extension, etc.

Hardly anybody shows up for midterms, you know that. Turnout goes down pretty consistently across demographics.

I get that about racial strife being worse in your youth than now. I'm glad things seem better but we've got a long way to go and I'm here to say that white liberals have messed up a lot in this area.

And to be honest I'm comparing my kids and my neices' generation with my own, as middle class white people. I acknowledge the limits of that comparison.

it just doesn't work to blame young people for the mess we're in now because our generation created it. We have something to prove to them, if we can learn from past mistakes and use the power we have now to do the right things. They don't have to prove anything to me.
Date: August 09, 2020 08:48PM
PeterB
LD, I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but ....

No. I was just digesting all the comments and responding.

I don't see young adults blaming older folks, I see them coming up with new solutions and demanding to be part of the conversation. I see them bringing excitement and urgency and new energy to a lot of issues that have been languishing: environment, social justice, gun control, income inequality, etc.

I'm not talking about Bernie. Nobody would describe Bernie as a 90's idea guy. This is 2020. My niece who gave me the bumper sticker has never been a Bernie fan. She likes Elizabeth Warren.
Date: August 09, 2020 09:03PM
Thanks all for the good conversation.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 09, 2020 09:10PM
vision63

They don't want to be within that superstructure. For the time being they are just somewhat less reviled by Democrats than Republicans.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 09, 2020 09:55PM
The "superstructure" of either political party holds little appeal to voters who are voting for "good government" and the best candidate regardless of affiliation. They aren't partisan and they - not partisan politics - may provide the final surge that changes a blue tide to a anti-Trump tsunami.

Disparage them all you want but don't think you don't need them.
Date: August 09, 2020 10:57PM
Lemon Drop
PeterB
LD, I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but ....

No. I was just digesting all the comments and responding.

I don't see young adults blaming older folks, I see them coming up with new solutions and demanding to be part of the conversation. I see them bringing excitement and urgency and new energy to a lot of issues that have been languishing: environment, social justice, gun control, income inequality, etc.

I'm not talking about Bernie. Nobody would describe Bernie as a 90's idea guy. This is 2020. My niece who gave me the bumper sticker has never been a Bernie fan. She likes Elizabeth Warren.

Bernie is more like a 60's idea guy.

And yes, I see what you mean about the young adults, though I also see a lot of non-acknowledgment amongst them about what has come before (and what has already been done for them) ... as if some of the ideas they've come up with, had never been thought of (or tried) before. Still, the energy is good, I would agree with you about that. I interact with them on a fairly routine basis, through my job...

Date: August 09, 2020 11:12PM
My hope is that we can learn and grow.

I fear that our racism is too deep for change in my lifetime.

But I’m going to keep fighting. And I hope my millennial kids will do so as well.
Date: August 10, 2020 12:33AM
Lemon Drop
vision63

Hardly anybody shows up for midterms, you know that. Turnout goes down pretty consistently across demographics.

I get that about racial strife being worse in your youth than now. I'm glad things seem better but we've got a long way to go and I'm here to say that white liberals have messed up a lot in this area.

And to be honest I'm comparing my kids and my neices' generation with my own, as middle class white people. I acknowledge the limits of that comparison.

it just doesn't work to blame young people for the mess we're in now because our generation created it. We have something to prove to them, if we can learn from past mistakes and use the power we have now to do the right things. They don't have to prove anything to me.

I'm not buying the my generation created the mess theme. It's always a mess. it's America. What did the Boomers inherit? What did the previous generation inherit? It's a mess because this country was created messily. Nothing changes overnight.

You know who voted in the midterms? Me. If I can vote no matter where I am in the world, so can everybody else. Most of the people I register wasn't interested in being registered. I lectured them into registering.

I tell them, "people my age are depending on you, to carry this country forward. To shepard it beyond our lives." Not just Cosplay at the latest outrage, but to wield power with compassion and unselfishness."
Date: August 10, 2020 12:37AM
RgrF
The "superstructure" of either political party holds little appeal to voters who are voting for "good government" and the best candidate regardless of affiliation. They aren't partisan and they - not partisan politics - may provide the final surge that changes a blue tide to a anti-Trump tsunami.

Disparage them all you want but don't think you don't need them.

You know who's not dithering about what appeals to them? Your enemies. They're the Terminator. And Kyle Reese's quote really isn't all that hyperbolic.

Kyle Reese: "Listen. Understand. That Terminator is out there. It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with. It doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead."
Date: August 10, 2020 08:32AM
vision63
I'm not buying the my generation created the mess theme. It's always a mess. it's America. What did the Boomers inherit? What did the previous generation inherit? It's a mess because this country was created messily. Nothing changes overnight.

This. We watched Hamilton over 4 July weekend, it should be required viewing. Our country IS a mess, and a work in progress. But it also comes with an expectation of responsibility to participate. The hardest part of disenfranchisement is when it means citizens stop actively helping build this country for the better.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 11, 2020 02:07PM
sekker
vision63

This. We watched Hamilton over 4 July weekend, it should be required viewing. Our country IS a mess, and a work in progress. But it also comes with an expectation of responsibility to participate. The hardest part key objective of disenfranchisement is when it means that it prevents citizens stop from actively helping build this country for the better.

FTFY. It's not losing faith in the country that stops people from "actively helping build this country for the better." It's active suppression, and the racist and classist policies designed to exclude people from the public.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020