advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Remember that packed school with no mask mandate?
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 09, 2020 02:36AM
And where the Principal suspended the student who posted the photo on twitter?

Yeah, THAT school. 9 positive COVID cases so far.

[abcnews.go.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Remember that packed school with no mask mandate?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 09, 2020 06:26AM
"Our strategy is to aggressively shield those at the greatest risk while allowing younger and healthier citizens to safely resume work and school," Trump said Saturday
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 09, 2020 06:41AM
Nearly 100K US children tested positive in the last 2 weeks of July.

[www.cbsnews.com]

(would be helpful to know how many were tested)

That's without school in session.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 09, 2020 09:31AM
Steve G.
"Our strategy is to aggressively shield those at the greatest risk while allowing younger and healthier citizens to safely resume work and school," Trump said Saturday

Literally, human shields except in this case the little darlings bring disease back home on a school bus.
Date: August 09, 2020 09:32AM
The suspensions were both rescinded, further highlighting both justice and the school’s incompetence.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2020 09:32AM
....saw that....news had one parent who said.......the risk of not having his children go to school [ developmental wise ] was more than the risk of catching the coronavirus...........huh.......coronavirus can end with death..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 09, 2020 10:58AM
My wife is running all of the layout options for her classroom. No way she can do social distancing at normal density.

She has masks for each class and we now have eye protection.

If Dr Birx is right, she should wear a mask at home if we want to reduce the spread to others. I’m in a very low risk job that is 60-80% WFH and almost all the rest in a full PPE environment.

That’s just not going to happen.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 09, 2020 11:48AM
I pulled every table, bookcase and filing cabinet from my wife's room. We took 10 chairs out and that allowed us to spread the remaining 26 chairs out to 6 feet between students (heads, not shoulders). She will be wearing a mask, a face shield and will have a medical grade HEPA air purifier running that will exchange the air every 35 minutes. Students in the row closest to her white board will be required to be masked (all others will be asked but cannot be required).

Will it matter? We don't know but it's the best we can do.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 09, 2020 01:10PM
Ombligo
I pulled every table, bookcase and filing cabinet from my wife's room. We took 10 chairs out and that allowed us to spread the remaining 26 chairs out to 6 feet between students (heads, not shoulders). She will be wearing a mask, a face shield and will have a medical grade HEPA air purifier running that will exchange the air every 35 minutes. Students in the row closest to her white board will be required to be masked (all others will be asked but cannot be required).

Will it matter? We don't know but it's the best we can do.

What I think might also be important is the air "traffic flow" in a classroom. That is, preventing air currents between people, especially if they're not required to wear masks. In an ideal world, a room would have four entrances/exits, one in each corner, and each person would enter and exit from their same corner, and also go single file in a one-way direction. The problem is, a lot of classrooms are nowhere near ideal ... most only have two exits/entrances, and at my particular institution, there are also a number with a single exit/entrance ... that's terrible for all sorts of reasons, not just COVID.

Curious also which air purifier you finally settled on.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 09, 2020 03:32PM
Every classroom should have 5x the previous recommended number of HEPA filter units, but likely neither the teachers nor the school districts have the money to pay for them.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 09, 2020 04:59PM
just heard this school is closing down for 2 days to do deep cleaning after their COVID outbreak

Rest of country: pay attention. this is how it goes. You can't bring this many people close together for even a week without an outbreak. Just keep the kids home this fall.
Date: August 09, 2020 05:12PM
Lemon Drop
just heard this school is closing down for 2 days to do deep cleaning after their COVID outbreak

Rest of country: pay attention. this is how it goes. You can't bring this many people close together for even a week without an outbreak. Just keep the kids home this fall.

I'm watching my own institution closely; our Freshmen have just moved into the dorms. I can't imagine that something won't happen even in the very first week.

Edit: oh, and complicating things for us -- potentially -- is that we typically get hit with a hurricane / major weather event in the third or fourth week of August. As if the possibility of an evacuation due to a hurricane isn't bad enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 05:38PM by PeterB.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 09, 2020 05:12PM
Deep Cleaning

At a school?

2 Days?

Make it two months…
Date: August 09, 2020 05:31PM
So ours is starting 3rd week this month. Normally they’d be in school already. Said they wanted to see what a few surrounding counties experienced who are starting sooner.

Because merely noting what happens in places one state over is curiously not enough of a clue for how this is going to work?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 09, 2020 07:25PM
bfd
Deep Cleaning

At a school?

2 Days?

Make it two months…

And research is already showing that extensive surface cleaning is not going to make much difference in the transmission rate. Almost no cases of transmission have come that way.
Date: August 09, 2020 08:08PM
JoeH
bfd
Deep Cleaning

At a school?

2 Days?

Make it two months…

And research is already showing that extensive surface cleaning is not going to make much difference in the transmission rate. Almost no cases of transmission have come that way.

I would agree with you, but the whole school/university thing is one huge experiment that... I'm not sure is going to work out. I'm particularly thinking about communal / shared spaces, like bathrooms, food preparation/consumption areas, teaching areas, etc. Normally the chance of acquisition through surface contact might be low, but if things are not being properly cleaned before or after use -- it could become a germ factory.

Posted by: bfd
Date: August 09, 2020 08:42PM
Most of us can already predict the outcome of such experiments…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018