advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
First The Storm, Now The Quake- Trump get 2nd NC convention warning
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 09, 2020 09:44AM
Jesus issues clear second warning telling North Carolina they should never have approved the Trump convention
Last week's storm wasn't clear enough?

(CNN)A 5.1-magnitude earthquake hit about 2 miles from the town of Sparta, North Carolina, along the state's border with Virginia, according to the preliminary report from the US Geological Survey.
It's the strongest quake to shake the state since 1926, according to the North Carolina Geological Survey.
The quake, whose epicenter is in Alleghany County, was felt as far away as South Carolina and Georgia, according to social media posts. The USGS received reports from more than 300 miles away, in Atlanta.
It struck about 8:07 a.m. ET.

"It felt like a big locomotive going by and a big wave coming underneath the bed," said Sparta Mayor Wes Brinegar, who was awakened by the quake. "A big wave coming to lift you."
There are no immediate reports of injuries, but there is some minor damage in the town of about 1,800 people, he said.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: First The Storm, Now The Quake- Trump get 2nd NC convention warning
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 09, 2020 09:57AM
We felt it. My first thought was another tree fell on our house. But it kept rumbling. Very freaky. Especially since I've never felt an earthquake before.

Posted by: pdq
Date: August 09, 2020 10:00AM
Yeah, that’s weird. No major fault lines or continental plate boundaries there, IIRC.

On the other hand, the (continental) US’s biggest quake was midcontinent, in Missouri.

No one is safe.

PS - one might expect this concurrence of plagues might give evangelicals pause about their hero, but apparently not.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 09, 2020 10:09AM
pdq

PS - one might expect this concurrence of plagues might give evangelicals pause about their hero, but apparently not.

15 days to go. A lot can happen to NC in two weeks.

jes sayin'
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 09, 2020 10:47AM
My first thought was fracking might have caused this earthquake but NC seems to have no fracking sites and only two known natural gas wells.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 09, 2020 11:08AM
There are all kinds of fault lines along the Eastern US. Most are silent with little to no activity over 10s or 100s of thousand years or longer. Many have never been mapped by geologists, and an earthquake along one is sometimes the first indication of a fault's existence. But there is movement on some of them, although much slower than in the active areas like the West coast, so there are the occasional earthquakes.

The geology is also more rigid, so an earthquake will often be felt over a much wider range than in active areas like California. As an example, back in the mid-'90s a 4.something earthquake occurred in Quebec. It was felt hundreds of miles away in parts of New England, shook my house in Greenfield, MA for a couple minutes like a freight train was going by on tracks nearby with out of round wheels.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 10, 2020 03:54AM
I used to joke that we sleep through sixes out here, but I actually did one time. In 1971 I was in Isla Vista, just north of Santa Barbara, when the Sylmar quake happened. It was a 6.5-6.6, and I was about 80 miles from the epicenter. I did sleep through it, although I remembered dreaming about being on a rocking boat when I woke up. It was only half an hour later that I heard about the quake over the radio. I'm guessing that it must have been a rolling movement instead of a sharp jolt.

In 1994, the Northridge quake was 35 miles from my home, a 6.7 magnitude, and it was a strong ride, up and down. Didn't sleep through that one. It actually reminded me of the old Trip to Mars ride at Pacific Ocean Park which tossed you up and down several times. As we all crawled on hands and feet to the middle of the house (now considered an outmoded technique), the dogs followed, and they seemed to think it was some kind of game.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 10, 2020 11:21AM
We were 0.5 miles from the epicenter of the '94 quake which was actually in Reseda*. It was a long rolling wave with spikes. Strong enough that even though awake and could not get out of the waterbed - not 'til it subsided. It's truly amazing how fast you can come wide awake when you have to.

*Northridge was the first label so it stuck - beside that no one but Tom Petty writing appropriately enough Free Fallin' or Bert Reynolds in Boogie Nights would know where Reseda even is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018