advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Cutting the Payroll Tax - What Does 45 Gain?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 09, 2020 12:52PM
I'm trying to figure out who 45 is trying to appeal to here. The overall media alert on this is that he is gutting Social Security by doing this. That would seem to be attacking a demographic he would desparately want to appeal to - senior citizens and anyone who hopes to be a senior citizen someday.

Add in the fact that according to this Washington Post article, it will have to be paid back as his order only defers the tax and he can't eliminate it entirely because only Congress can do that.

WTF (Who The F*#k) does he think should be thrilled about this?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cutting the Payroll Tax - What Does 45 Gain?
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 09, 2020 12:55PM
graylocks
I'm trying to figure out who 45 is trying to appeal to here. The overall media alert on this is that he is gutting Social Security by doing this. That would seem to be attacking a demographic he would desparately want to appeal to - senior citizens and anyone who hopes to be a senior citizen someday.

Add in the fact that according to this Washington Post article, it will have to be paid back as his order only defers the tax and he can't eliminate it entirely because only Congress can do that.

WTF (Who The F*#k) does he think should be thrilled about this?

Short answer, he is an idiot, surrounded by idiots, and supported by idiots.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 09, 2020 12:57PM
1) Fast bribe money to those with jobs. 2)'Incentive' to those considering work (if it were available)
3) Just plain nuts*

* most popular answer
Date: August 09, 2020 12:58PM
rgG
Short answer, he is an idiot, surrounded by idiots, and supported by idiots.

well, that's a given.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 09, 2020 01:23PM
Steve G.
1) Fast bribe money to those with jobs...

This.

People individually can be sensible. In large numbers, we're a bunch of dumb apes.

Workers will see bigger paychecks and connect that to Drumpf. They won't think beyond that.

He's buying votes.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 09, 2020 01:36PM
In the short term it buys votes. In the medium term it makes him look like he's at least not doing nothing. Next year when the piper has to be paid, it will look bad on President Biden. It his best chance to kill Social Security and Medicare partially under the radar.
Posted by: numbered
Date: August 09, 2020 01:37PM
Oh, and remember that the oligarchs have been wanting to means test social security and medicare as a way to then say 'those people' are getting benefits. By cutting the tax, they will then restart the 'the entitlements are going bankrupt' cry. Especially if Trump loses.

The so-called centrist deficit hawks will then take up the cry.

Remember the Al Gore "Social Security Lockbox" (aka the Clinton surplus) that became the Bush tax cut? Followed by Bush's proposal to 'privatize'?

Rinse and repeat.
Date: August 09, 2020 01:44PM
Dennis S
In the short term it buys votes. In the medium term it makes him look like he's at least not doing nothing. Next year when the piper has to be paid, it will look bad on President Biden. It his best chance to kill Social Security and Medicare partially under the radar.

1. Buys votes from whom? What large voter block wants to eliminate SS? I'm trying to grasp why this wouldn't cause him to lose a @#$%& ton of votes.

2. I'll grant it makes him appear to be doing something and then whine that stupid things like laws and the constitution stopped him.

3. Again - who wants to kill SS? it's there because workers paid into it. All of us want our money back in old age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 01:45PM by graylocks.
Date: August 09, 2020 01:44PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 01:45PM by graylocks.
Date: August 09, 2020 01:45PM

oops again. keep hitting quote instead of edit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 01:46PM by graylocks.
Posted by: August West
Date: August 09, 2020 03:25PM
I think the bribery angle is completely obvious. I will remove the tax for the rest of the year, and if you re-elect me, I won't make you pay it back.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: August 09, 2020 03:36PM
August West
I think the bribery angle is completely obvious. I will remove the tax for the rest of the year, and if you re-elect me, I won't make you pay it back.

he doesn't have that authority.
in the larger scheme of things it's not really that much money into the worker's pocket and hurts them down the line.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 09, 2020 03:39PM
Conservative elderly hate taxes far more than they like their paltry SS checks. Also, he specifically gets to say “tax cut” but not “SS cuts.”

None of has to be much of a benefit, nor even really work, for supporters to like it.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 09, 2020 04:23PM
This is an underhanded attack on SS and other benefits.

The fact that this board doesn’t see the long term is not an issue with us - it shows how insidious this plan is.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 09, 2020 04:55PM
graylocks
1. Buys votes from whom? What large voter block wants to eliminate SS? I'm trying to grasp why this wouldn't cause him to lose a @#$%& ton of votes.

There are two main types of people that this plays to, the young and stupid who can't comprehend the time when they will be drawing Social Security, and the wealthy Republicans who don't care about Social Security. There's also a secondary bloc of people who think they will be wealthy by the time they reach that age.

Overall, it's not a smart strategy.

Posted by: btfc
Date: August 09, 2020 05:05PM
It is a move that reeks of desperation. Trump is hoping that his shrinking base will hear “Trump cuts taxes” and miss the bigger picture.

Remember, Trump loves the poorly educated.

Also, as has been discussed here many times, the GOP game, for a while, has been to give tax breaks for the well off then to turn around and slash programs for the less advantaged and the needy, because, of course, we can’t afford them! (see Food Stamps).

“ he doesn't have that authority “

Yep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 05:06PM by btfc.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 09, 2020 06:58PM
graylocks
August West

he doesn't have that authority.
in the larger scheme of things it's not really that much money into the worker's pocket and hurts them down the line.

He doesn't have that power, but if he wins reelection he'll have a Congress to do what he wants. If he doesn't, he leaves a steaming pile of accrued debt on Biden's desk, forcing the incoming president to decide between forcing people to pay back deferred taxes OR write it off and add it to the national debt.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 09, 2020 07:22PM
Since Biden will likely be a one term president, he will be in the perfect position to make the hard or unpopular calls to fix this mess. Besides, the public won't remember it in 4 years.

The only concern is not to poison the water for the next nominee

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2020 10:27PM
he should be FORCE to work FOR BIDEN and explain on TV why taxes have to be paid, why budget has to be balanced, why SS, Medicare and Medicaid have to be funded, what we should defend our county agains Putin, etc.

let's see how popular he is in that case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020