advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Debating Getting Tested
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 11, 2020 02:04PM
There is free Covid testing available. I've been reasonably careful. I have no symptoms. I have no reason to believe I've been exposed.

Should I bother testing? Is it useful statistical information to help determine spread or is it unnecessarily using up a resource?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Debating Getting Tested
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 11, 2020 02:15PM
Random testing is good. What I’d ask is what’s the turnaround time. If short, go for it. If 5 or more days then I’d hold off.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 11, 2020 02:19PM
I'm doing it soon, as is the rest of the family and hoping to convince my bro and parents to do the same. It's been free around here for a while, I probably should have done it earlier but I also want to wait just prior to school (if there is any).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 11, 2020 02:20PM
I would if I could.. more REAL data the better. We still strongly suspect we've had it.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 11, 2020 02:27PM
cbelt3
I would if I could.. more REAL data the better. We still strongly suspect we've had it.

The PCR test will only tell you if you presently have it.

The antibody-test is not at all accurate in the U.S. and it's probably a complete waste of time and resources if the test is provided a couple of months after an infection.

Posted by: gabester
Date: August 11, 2020 02:34PM
Sarcany
cbelt3

The antibody-test is not at all accurate in the U.S. and it's probably a complete waste of time and resources if the test is provided a couple of months after an infection.

I have a neighbor who works with lab rats (literally, although more recently it's been frogs I think) who was quite sick a few weeks into quarantine. When finally offered a antibody test a couple months later, a couple of the coworkers came up positive but this neighbor showed negative.

I've no reason to think I've been infected although I'm convinced if I were I would be a super spreader. I've no reason to take a PCR/active infection test right now, and doubt an antibody test would turn up anything accurately, but if someone were offering me free monthly antibody tests I'd take them. Free PCR tests, I'd wait until the next time I had something resembling symptoms.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 11, 2020 02:46PM
Under the circumstances (no exposure, no symptoms) I don't see a reason to get tested.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 11, 2020 03:02PM
Its not useful info unless its being done in a similar fashion across the population.

Not really worthwhile.

BUT

you could donate blood and they may check the blood for antibodies. I'm not sure if they're still doing that but its the extent of my testing.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 11, 2020 03:06PM
Pam
Random testing is good. What I’d ask is what’s the turnaround time. If short, go for it. If 5 or more days then I’d hold off.

It's a county site and they're says 48-72 hours.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 11, 2020 03:37PM
graylocks
Pam

It's a county site and they're says 48-72 hours.

My husband is having surgery Thursday so he had the test yesterday
Be advised from him, it is not a pleasant experience. If you don’t need to, I wouldn’t.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 11, 2020 04:15PM
I wouldn’t, without symptoms.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 11, 2020 04:29PM
Seems somewhat akin to asking the FBI if they have a file on you… Beware what you want to know.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: August 11, 2020 05:24PM
Graylocks
is it unnecessarily using up a resource

There is still limited kit availability and testing capacity. If you have no suspected exposure, no symptoms, no major underlying health issues or close contact with someone who is especially at risk, then you may be taking a test away from someone else who does. If your rationale is simply idle curiosity, then you could ask your physician about getting an antigen test, which can potentially be performed at home.

Sarcany

Nucleic tests sample protein fragments, which are strongly indicative of current or recent infection, but COVID PCR may still be positive for some time after resolution.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 11, 2020 06:20PM
No. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020