advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Biden = Bland, and that may be good.
Posted by: timg
Date: August 13, 2020 01:21PM
Interesting take on Biden. Maybe we need some blandness ...

Politico.com Story

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Biden = Bland, and that may be good.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 13, 2020 03:22PM
Joe has plenty of personality.

An interesting point - if he wins, he'll be our first non-Ivy League president since 1988, and the first public university grad since LBJ.

Now that's refreshing!

Loving this Sarah Vowell op-ed:

What I know right now, in this year of calamities, of burials, killing, isolation and impeachment trial, is that so many of the elected officials who have stepped into the void of presidential leadership are the graduates of public universities. And there are enough of them that we should acknowledge this moment of culmination.

Resourceful governors who bucked federal negligence include the Democrats Michelle Lujan Grisham (University of New Mexico, ’81); Jay Inslee (University of Washington, ’73); and the dauntless “woman from Michigan,” Gretchen Whitmer (Michigan State, ’93), who thinks like a general, looks like a ’40s film star and talks like she’s ice fishing for muskie. And the Republicans Larry Hogan of Maryland (Florida State, ’78) and Mike DeWine of Ohio (Miami University, ’69) — whose June approval rating among Democrats was 81 percent.

The democratic public university atmosphere lends itself to producing grounded, empathetic public servants. Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms of Atlanta (Florida A&M, ’91) told a country that will be forever haunted by a man who died calling for his mama, “When I saw the murder of George Floyd, I hurt like a mother would hurt.”

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2020 03:25PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: August 13, 2020 03:48PM
I think you missed the point of the article.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: August 13, 2020 03:58PM
timg
I think you missed the point of the article.

Why don't you mansplain the article to me?

Sorry I brought up something related but a little different, but I found it more interesting than anything in that (bland) article you linked.
Date: August 13, 2020 04:33PM
That's fine. It's not worth my time.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 13, 2020 05:23PM
As I get older I tire of the “heroism” that often manifests as empty rhetoric. The fact is that if you’re going to pontificate you need a superb speech writer who is able to grasp the current zeitgeist. Anything else turns into platitudes.

There just aren’t that many grandiose topics around, I don’t think.

While I don’t profess to have followed Biden’s career closely, I have always been attracted to what I perceive as his blue collar style that never panders. Trump has faux blue collar style based on caricature who is a pandering dog whistling moron and a crook of the highest and narcissistic order.

I’ll point back to that town hall before the pandemic where a guy tried to trap him in a B.S. position and got called out as a liar in a video clip widely spread.

"The fact of the matter is, this guy stood up, and he was, in fact, lying," Biden said in an interview Friday evening with NPR Morning Edition host Rachel Martin on his campaign bus on the way to Decorah, Iowa. "And I just pointed out, 'You're a liar.' It's, it's a fact. He lied, period. And so, you know, maybe I shouldn't have kidded with him about that."

[www.npr.org]

Yes he couched his answer at the end but overall he still called a voter a liar. Damn refreshing and non-bland if you ask me. I really don’t know when that sort of thing has been done before, legitimately.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 13, 2020 08:33PM
To humbly quote myself from March 2019: I think that Joe Biden could make a very good placeholder as the country gets over the horror of four years of Trump. He's familiar, popular, nonthreatening, and a source of nostalgia and humor. He could be the palate cleanser between this Filboid Studge of a President and whoever the Democrats settle on after they have made peace within their party.
This said whilst I was very much against running Joe. But you have to play the cards you are dealt.

Date: August 13, 2020 08:36PM
He's familiar, popular, nonthreatening, and a source of nostalgia and humor. He could be the palate cleanser between this Filboid Studge of a President and whoever the Democrats settle on after they have made peace within their party.

So true, great description of Biden.

So have we settled on Kamala as heir apparent? Works for me.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 13, 2020 09:25PM
If 'bland' means 'not a complete raving psychopath', then yeah.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 13, 2020 10:24PM
Lemon Drop
He's familiar, popular, nonthreatening, and a source of nostalgia and humor. He could be the palate cleanser between this Filboid Studge of a President and whoever the Democrats settle on after they have made peace within their party.

So true, great description of Biden.

It would be just like the USA to have to be tricked into having their first woman President. winking smiley

Posted by: pdq
Date: August 14, 2020 09:02AM
$tevie
He could be the palate cleanser between this Filboid Studge of a President and whoever the Democrats settle on after they have made peace within their party.[/i]

Well, I learned something today (or kinda - I had never heard of Filboid Studge, and now I know it involves a mouse that helped and a breakfast cereal...somehow).

dunno smiley

Who says this board isn’t educational?
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 14, 2020 01:23PM
Lemon Drop

Biden and his team settled on KH as heir apparent.

Works for me too.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 14, 2020 01:40PM
neophyte
Lemon Drop

Biden and his team settled on KH as heir apparent.

Works for me too.

Works for me 'fo 'sho.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020