AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The Atlantic:Trump called American war dead in French cemetery 'losers:'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 03, 2020 07:42PM

'Murica='suckers and losers'

Trump called American war dead in French cemetery 'losers:'
[thehill.com]

Before a planned visit to honor the American dead at a French cemetery just outside Paris in 2018, President Trump called the U.S. service members who were buried there during World War I “losers," sources told The Atlantic.

At the time, Trump was expected to arrive at Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, but he canceled last minute, stating that due to the rain, the helicopter could not fly to the location noting that the Secret Service could not drive him.

However, according to four sources with knowledge of the incident, Trump was reluctant to travel to the cemetery because he was concerned that the rain would dishevel his hair, the Atlantic reported.

He also did not think it was important to honor the dead there, according to the sources.

“Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers,” Trump reportedly told aides before canceling the trip to Belleau, France.

In another conversation Trump reportedly said that the 1,800 marines who lost their lives in the battle of Belleau Wood were “suckers” for getting killed. The president reportedly asked aides about historic details about WWI, including “Who were the good guys in this war?”

Belleau Wood was a significant battle for the Allies during the First World War. There, they held off Germany advancing into France. The American Marine Corps fought there to beat back German forces.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Atlantic:Trump called American war dead in French cemetery 'losers:'
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 03, 2020 07:49PM
If there's no tape or video, this won't fly.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 03, 2020 08:03PM
Original reporting from Jeffrey Goldberg at The Atlantic.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 03, 2020 08:09PM
Dennis S
If there's no tape or video, this won't fly.

even with a tape or video, he won't lose any votes because of this.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 03, 2020 08:15PM
Former Trump Chief of Staff and Marine General John Kelly said Trump asked him why anyone would give their life for their country - "I don't get it, what's in it for them?" while they were visiting the cemetery where Kelly's son, who died in battle, is buried.

Rachel tonight also said that Trump specifically threatened to cut any child out of his will if they joined the military. (per Mary Trump)
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 03, 2020 09:28PM
Whoa, whoa. Save this for the tell-all book that will make no difference. At least the source can make a buck.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 03, 2020 09:51PM
The Idiot is now lying about his denial...In the same sentence.

His lack of recognition of service in the military was the absolute last straw for me in 2016. I thought it was worse, though - I knew he wanted to avoid military service during Vietnam for all of the obvious reasons. I just did not realize it was because he is an absolute coward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2020 09:52PM by sekker.
Date: September 03, 2020 10:06PM
To most of the country The Atlantic is an ocean they've never seen and Atlantic readership was never a target for the Trump camp. If it's picked up by either Military Times or Stars & Stripes it may have some real impact.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 03, 2020 10:16PM
Trump kiss flag. Trump good. Me vote Trump 2020.

That’s about the extent of thought his base puts into it.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 03, 2020 11:08PM
“I don’t get it. What was in it for them?” A person with knowledge of the conversation confirmed this to The Post...

Trump also couldn’t comprehend why some of the high-ranking military men serving in his administration like Kelly and former defense secretary Jim Mattis would choose that path.

“You seem like fairly talented guys — why would you do that? You don’t make any money,” Trump said, according to the former official, who added of Trump: “Everything is transactional to him.”

RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 03, 2020 11:14PM
The story has now been independently confirmed by AP News and the Washington Post.

I think we're correct in saying that it won't matter for Trump's base. But it seems like its going to have an impact on the more middle ground Repubs. The question is, who will go down with the ship. Please let that list include Nunes, McConnel and Jordan.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 03, 2020 11:20PM
I've said for years now that someone needs to make an ad with the tagline, "Why does the president hate our military?"
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 03, 2020 11:41PM
sekker
I knew he wanted to avoid military service during Vietnam for all of the obvious reasons. I just did not realize it was because he is an absolute coward.

Not exactly.

tRump thinks the military is for suckers; you can’t make much money, you can’t go where you want when you want, you can’t say what you want, AND you might get killed!

Basically, only suckers do something for someone else’s benefit.
Date: September 04, 2020 08:50AM
BTW:

Trump now:

Also, I never called John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES.

Trump then:

"I like people who weren't captured," Trump said at an Iowa summit during his presidential campaign in 2015, adding, "I don't like losers."

Or how about this tweet saying John McCain is a loser, proudly retweeted by some “lowlife”? For the full, extra-creepy experience, read the followup comments from his supporters...

barf smiley
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 04, 2020 08:58AM
S. Pupp
Trump kiss flag. Trump good. Me vote Trump 2020.

That’s about the extent of thought his base puts into it.

“I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing it. You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful flags - I just start kissing them”
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 04, 2020 10:01AM
And now the Stars and Stripes is closed down.

Cheeto is afraid the military will actually vote.
Date: September 04, 2020 10:18AM
While The Atlantic was the first to report the allegations about Trump's comments on the cemetery visit, two sources confirmed some of Trump's remarks to the Associated Press: A senior Defense Department official with firsthand knowledge of the events and a senior U.S. Marine Corps officer who was told about Trump’s comments.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 04, 2020 10:41AM
I dunno, these people kept quiet for two years ... how upset were they, are they really?

If they don’t care enough to ACT maybe no one else should, either.

Trump is ONLY where he is today because of enablers and a never-ending list of people who do not tell him “no.” That’s it. You can’t wait 4 years to “fix” things by complete removal of a person. The causes of the symptoms will remain.
Date: September 04, 2020 10:54AM
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden said Thursday, “If the revelations in today’s Atlantic article are true, then they are yet another marker of how deeply President Trump and I disagree about the role of the president of the United States.”

“Duty, honor, country — those are the values that drive our service members,” he said in a statement Thursday night, adding that if he is elected president, “I will ensure that our American heroes know that I will have their back and honor their sacrifice — always.”

Biden’s son Beau, who died at 46 in 2015, served in Iraq in 2008-09.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 04, 2020 11:02AM
To be fair, doesn't he think all people in cemeteries are losers?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: September 04, 2020 11:14AM
I think, generally to their benefit, the professional military in this country bites their tongue a lot where it comes to politics...and those that don’t (looking at you, Mike Flynn) are aberrations whose outspokenness and partisanship is a big red flag.

So I’m not surprised they didn’t come forward before. But I definitely believe them now.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 04, 2020 11:34AM
pdq
I think, generally to their benefit, the professional military in this country bites their tongue a lot where it comes to politics...and those that don’t (looking at you, Mike Flynn) are aberrations whose outspokenness and partisanship is a big red flag.

So I’m not surprised they didn’t come forward before. But I definitely believe them now.

But in a world where Trump’s myriad failures are but one leak to the press away from being known, what’s the difference?

Is this latest revelation happening because of the election? If so, they’re saying it’s OK no matter what he says so long as someone else cleans up the mess, and if he gets the boot he won’t have time for repercussions against them being actually patriots.
Date: September 04, 2020 01:38PM
sekker

When did that happen?
Date: September 04, 2020 01:43PM
deckeda
I dunno, these people kept quiet for two years ... how upset were they, are they really?

If they don’t care enough to ACT maybe no one else should, either.

Trump is ONLY where he is today because of enablers and a never-ending list of people who do not tell him “no.” That’s it. You can’t wait 4 years to “fix” things by complete removal of a person. The causes of the symptoms will remain.

Two years ago they would have had zero impact, regardless of what they reported he was going to be in office for the duration. Now, combined with his earlier comments it might have some impact.

Remember the Military times poll may have shown Biden ahead but also showed Trump's support had only declined by about 3 points. Anything that can diminish those numbers is a good thing.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: September 04, 2020 02:11PM
RgrF
sekker

When did that happen?

11 threads up in this forum: Just another bright, shiny thing? Crazy or crazy like a fox? Stars and Stripes to cease publication ASAP.

Today, effective immediately.

=TC
Date: September 04, 2020 02:57PM
Trump said no.
Date: September 04, 2020 03:25PM
Ah. The white knight rides in to save it from the evil clutches of...umm...the Trump administration?
Date: September 05, 2020 08:38AM
Explain this away, Don:

Among those was the Fox News national security correspondent, Jennifer Griffin, who confirmed in a Twitter thread that Trump called soldiers “suckers”, had questioned why anyone would want to become a soldier and had not wanted to honor war dead at the Aisne-Marne cemetery in France.

...and Trump’s Trumpian response?

Trump calls for Fox News journalist to be fired for report on war dead scandal...

I’m sure Trump’s base base considers this just more “locker room talk”.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020