Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Suspect in Portland protest murder killed by federal police
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 04, 2020 09:50AM
[www.seattletimes.com]

It's some guy who says he's "100% antifa all the way."

Of course we don't know if he was the shooter, he's obviously a mentally unstable guy.

And I HATE how this article, originally from the NY Times, is written - did the cops kill him or not? Why the passive voice? People don't just end up shot to death...somebody fired their weapon at them and hit them with bullets. If they're not sure how he died then say that.

A man being investigated for the fatal shooting of a right-wing activist who was part of a pro-Trump caravan in Portland, Oregon, was killed Thursday night when authorities moved to arrest him, according to three law enforcement officials familiar with the investigation.

The officials said the suspect, Michael Forest Reinoehl, 48, was killed during the encounter in Lacey, Washington, southwest of Seattle, when a federal fugitive task force moved to apprehend him.

An arrest warrant had been issued by the Portland police earlier Thursday on the same day that Vice News published an interview with Reinoehl in which he appeared to admit to the shooting, saying, “I had no choice.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 09:51AM by Lemon Drop.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Suspect in Portland protest murder killed by federal police
Posted by: Wags
Date: September 04, 2020 09:56AM
Here's a statement from the Sheriff's Dept saying the suspect came out and "appeared"to be armed, got into an SUV whereupon the cops opened fire on the SUV. Reminds me of how they got Bonnie and Clyde.

[www.theolympian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 10:16AM by Wags.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 04, 2020 10:06AM
CNN
"Initial reports indicate the suspect [Michael Forest Reinoehl] produced a firearm, threatening the lives of law enforcement officers. Task force members responded to the threat and struck the suspect who was pronounced dead at the scene..."

Article and video interview with shooter by Vice news.
Date: September 04, 2020 10:20AM
A local source, Portland Mercury, has a different spin:

According to the Olympian, officers encountered Reinoehl as he was leaving an apartment complex. Officers began shooting when Reinoehl entered a parked car, and continued firing when Reinoehl allegedly ran from the car and pulled out a gun. Reinoehl was pronounced dead at the scene.

[www.portlandmercury.com]

The Mercury is decidedly left leaning in their reporting.

Here's what The Oregonian is saying, at the moment. They tend to be right leaning in their reporting.

Reinoehl walked out of the apartment about 7:30 p.m., authorities said.

He ran to a station wagon parked outside the complex, Thurston County Sheriff’s Lt. Ray Brady told The Oregonian/OregonLive. Officers trying to stop him fired rounds into the car, Brady said.

[www.oregonlive.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 10:28AM by Wags.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 04, 2020 10:25AM
I'll wait for the body cam video on this one.

Oh, there isn't any?
Date: September 04, 2020 10:29AM
pdq
I'll wait for the body cam video on this one.

Oh, there isn't any?

Yeah, don't hold your breath.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 04, 2020 10:31AM
He sounds, from multiple accounts, like someone who had become unmoored from family and friends as he experienced self-inflicted problems (DWI with a child in the car, etc.) and found solace in a distorted version of antiracist Whiteness that led him to erratic, and seemingly violent, behavior. It's worth mentioning that Black Lives Matter and Showing Up for Racial Justice (the country's largest organized antiracist group for White people) both explicitly espouse only non-violent tactics, and never condone violence as a political strategy.

The combination of the ongoing police investigation(s) plus the Vice exposé seem like a prelude to an inevitable conclusion, which we are witnessing now. I feel for his family, and for the family of Aaron Danielson, who also did not deserve to die.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 10:32AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 04, 2020 11:12AM
There have been armed white males showing up at protests offering protection for the protestors. They are not antifa. I’ve always been suspicious of their motivations.
Re: Suspect in Portland protest murder killed by 'various local police agencies'
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 04, 2020 11:25AM
At least one Washington based news source said he was shot ONLY by Oregon sheriffs, but I can't find that now. nbc12.com says it was "...two Pierce County Sheriff’s deputies, an officer from the Lakewood Police Department and an officer from the Washington State Department of Corrections." No police/sheriffs from the actual city/county fired on the suspect.

Not "federal police" as listed in the original subject. That term is weasel words... ICE, Secret Service, U.S. Marshals, FBI???

As mentioned, lets see some body camera footage. There is no information if any of the people that fired had cameras on. That's too bad. RollingEyesSmiley5 I wonder if any of the other residents in the apartment got a chance to film it with cell phone cameras.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Re: Suspect in Portland protest murder killed by 'various local police agencies'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 04, 2020 11:41AM
Filliam H. Muffman

As mentioned, lets see some body camera footage.

and soon
Date: September 04, 2020 12:18PM
rjmacs
He sounds, from multiple accounts, like someone who had become unmoored from family and friends as he experienced self-inflicted problems (DWI with a child in the car, etc.) and found solace in a distorted version of antiracist Whiteness that led him to erratic, and seemingly violent, behavior. It's worth mentioning that Black Lives Matter and Showing Up for Racial Justice (the country's largest organized antiracist group for White people) both explicitly espouse only non-violent tactics, and never condone violence as a political strategy.

The combination of the ongoing police investigation(s) plus the Vice exposé seem like a prelude to an inevitable conclusion, which we are witnessing now. I feel for his family, and for the family of Aaron Danielson, who also did not deserve to die.

Agreed. BLM has always, always espoused nonviolence. I think they'd be wise to put a halt to the protesting until the election is over. Here in Portland the protests have been primarily about police brutality and lack of oversight. This has been going on for decades.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 04, 2020 02:00PM
Not "federal police" as listed in the original subject. That term is weasel words... ICE, Secret Service, U.S. Marshals, FBI???

Oh f#ck off and read.

The officials said the suspect, Michael Forest Reinoehl, 48, was killed during the encounter in Lacey, Washington, southwest of Seattle, when a federal fugitive task force moved to apprehend him.

[www.seattletimes.com]

Four officers with the U.S. Marshals Service Pacific Northwest Violent Offender Task Force fired their guns.

[www.oregonlive.com]
Date: September 04, 2020 09:38PM
I stand by my statement that "Federal Police" is weasel words.

Journalists need to be accurate and precise in a story like this, as well as anybody talking about it. Otherwise we may as well be posting fake news to micro-targeted hate groups on Faecesbook. The OregonLive article is making better sense of who was involved as of the 6:48 PM update.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 04, 2020 10:34PM
I think it's quite convenient for some that he is dead.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 05, 2020 02:11AM
Filliam H. Muffman
I stand by my statement that "Federal Police" is weasel words.

Journalists need to be accurate and precise in a story like this, as well as anybody talking about it. Otherwise we may as well be posting fake news to micro-targeted hate groups on Faecesbook. The OregonLive article is making better sense of who was involved as of the 6:48 PM update.

Though "Federal Police" is a kinda generic name for a broad array of law enforcement. It would probably be good to drill down to specific departments and/or assignments. I don't see why a Postal Service Investigator or Yosemite Park Cop should be lumped in.
Date: September 06, 2020 08:31PM
Postal Service police arrested Steve Bannon. I would like to buy a nice dinner for all the postal service employees that showed up for that arrest.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020