advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Just put in my request for an absentee ballot, and...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 04, 2020 10:06AM
... two very odd things I just noticed:

1) The webpage states that to be qualified as disabled/homebound, you'd need some kind of documentation, in the form of:

"a physician’s certificate, copy of mobility-impaired ID card with photo, or copy of current documentation showing eligibility for disability benefits from Social Security, Veterans Affairs, paratransit services, the Office of Citizens with Developmental Disabilities, or the LA Rehabilitation Services."

At no point in the electronic submission I just did, did it ask for any of these. I did actually request a certification of disability from my doc, and he gave it to me, so I am prepared regardless. I'm guessing they're now going to contact me to ask for it? But again, nowhere did it say that they would be doing that.

2) Towards the end of the application, it actually gave an option for electronic voting by email rather than USPS. I chose that option only because the mails here are already completely unreliable, and who knows how bad things will get as we approach election time. I'm curious how they'll make sure that an emailed ballot cannot be in some way tampered with -- or perhaps it'll be voting through their website? But regardless-- the fact that they're offering this option begs the question of why they can't offer this more generally and NOT only to disabled voters!

Edit: I did print a copy of my final application, so if they try any funny business with me, I'll have documentation...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 10:10AM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just put in my request for an absentee ballot, and...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 04, 2020 10:25AM
Yikes - the unexpected introduction of e-voting is unsettling! Hope all goes well, and thanks for keeping MRF in the loop!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 04, 2020 10:26AM
The email vote option might be part of the Americans with Disabilities Act, but I am just guessing.
I have always said, if you can transfer millions of dollars electronically, you should be able to cast a ballot electronically, but no one seems to want to make that an option.

I suspect no one will ask you for any documentation. If you have it, they never ask for it. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 04, 2020 10:30AM
rgG

I suspect no one will ask you for any documentation. If you have it, they never ask for it. Lol

Yeah, that sounds like run-of-the-mill voter intimidation/discouragement to me, designed to make people say "screw it".
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 04, 2020 10:33AM
pdq
rgG

Yeah, that sounds like run-of-the-mill voter intimidation/discouragement to me, designed to make people say "screw it".

IF YOU GET YOUR PAPERWORK WRONG IT'S A FELONY, YOU KNOW!
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 04, 2020 11:09AM
Yikes! No Ballot paper trail is bad. Very bad.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 04, 2020 11:19AM
Is the email address in Cyrillic?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 04, 2020 11:25AM
Pam

I wondered about that too, BUT ... I presume that you can do things like print the ballot as you've chosen it, and also their website allows you to track your ballot. (For example, for the last election, it shows as "counted".) But you're right in that after the electronic submission, it's possible that someone could just change your vote.

Edit: the other thing that occurs to me with electronic voting is that it does have at least one other possible advantage: if they need to make changes to the ballot, they won't have to send you a new one by USPS (where then you'd have to send it back by USPS, and then if it arrives past the deadline, your vote doesn't count).

Edit #2: now Pam's comment has me wondering if I should ask them to change it to a regular paper ballot. I'm early enough in this process that I should be able to do that.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 11:28AM by PeterB.
Posted by: samintx
Mine is in via over 65. (By a long stretch)
Posted by: A-Polly
Pam
agree smiley Although E-voting would be so convenient for so many people, I just don't think that there is a way to make it safe enough. Here is Tom Scott's video on the subject from late last year:
[youtu.be]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 04, 2020 12:04PM
A-Polly
Pam
agree smiley Although E-voting would be so convenient for so many people, I just don't think that there is a way to make it safe enough. Here is Tom Scott's video on the subject from late last year:
[youtu.be]

At one point he says that paper ballots in the UK don't currently fulfill the requirements he demands for E-voting. Based on videos from local precincts, I feel it is possible my current ballot choices could be recorded. With both a secure token dongle and bitcoin/onion-routers, it should be possible to make it as secure/anonymous as current paper ballots.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 04, 2020 12:05PM
I trust Tom Scott. After all, who would argue with a British accent?

Election integrity isn’t about total security. It’s about sufficient security. ALL designs need it; it’s a question of how much you care to make it happen for the intended benefit. Arguments of absolutes don’t help much.
Date: September 04, 2020 12:13PM
Filliam H. Muffman
... I feel it is possible my current ballot choices could be recorded. ...

When I walk in they look at my I.D. and match it to the name and address on their paper list. I fill out a piece of paper required to declare WHICH ballot I’m given, R or D. (I guess the general elections are different, but hey local elections matter too.)

I walk over to vote at the touch thing and toss the credit card thing into the box.

Meanwhile the senior citizen who crossed my name off the list already knows who I’ll vote for before I do the deed, by simple process of elimination.

Point being, how much are we going to worry over every single possibility here?
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 04, 2020 01:09PM
E-ballots! Ugh.

Almost as bad as the electronic voting machines that can be hacked by a simple app on a smartphone...
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 04, 2020 01:10PM
deckeda
Filliam H. Muffman

When I walk in they look at my I.D. and match it to the name and address on their paper list. I fill out a piece of paper required to declare WHICH ballot I’m given, R or D. (I guess the general elections are different, but hey local elections matter too.)

I walk over to vote at the touch thing and toss the credit card thing into the box.

Meanwhile the senior citizen who crossed my name off the list already knows who I’ll vote for before I do the deed, by simple process of elimination.

Why is E-voting excluded when it is so close to the current standards for paper ballots just because one guy online has a straw man against it?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 04, 2020 02:43PM
Filliam H. Muffman
deckeda
Filliam H. Muffman

Why is E-voting excluded when it is so close to the current standards for paper ballots just because one guy online has a straw man against it?

Who knows? He spends his time supposing all the ways things could go wrong, despite not offering likelihood that with conscientious planning, that they would.

Election officials are required to take ballot boxes they are responsible for into the bathroom with them if necessary. I’m not clear on how any of that isn’t just as precarious. What if someone’s county alderman gets peed on, so to speak?

He makes a good point in the video early on that the likelihood of being able to easily alter scores of paper ballots precludes it from happening overall, but then pretends it would be trivial if electronic, like flipping a switch.

Assessing risk requires both likelihood of something happening as well as the bad outcome.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 04, 2020 05:02PM
Acer
Is the email address in Cyrillic?

thumbs up secret smiley
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 04, 2020 11:44PM
I have quite a debate going on with myself about how to vote. In the primary, I had a ballot sent and I took it to the post office. I am reasonably confident that it got delivered, but I don't know that it got counted. Any number of disqualifications are available and I REALLY want my vote to count.

There is the drop box option, but I figure somebody will figure that a fire in one of those boxes could destroy a lot of ballots with no way to know whose those were. Plus the disqualification issue resides with this too.

So right now I am leaning to in-person early voting. This is a relatively small county with several days over three weeks and I figure I can find a time when there aren't too many folks there. Masks and hand washing before and after should (I hope) make the process as safe as it can be and I know that my ballot will be counted.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2020 10:33AM
Not me, I’m voting by mail using the postage paid envelope that comes with the ballot. I’ll be able to check that my ballot was good-to-go online.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020