advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Critical Race Theory - wow, drove AZ to confiscate books in 2010!
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 05, 2020 09:17AM
Makes me want to learn more.

Here’s a wiki:

[en.wikipedia.org]

The louder the white supremacists argue against it, the more it is being advertised.

CRT doesn’t look perfect to me, but the argument that the US Constitution was designed to be racist is hard to argue with since slaves were only counted as 3/5 of a person...

Edit: link should be fixed

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 05:26PM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Critical Race Theory - wow, drove AZ to burn books in 2010!
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 05, 2020 09:25AM
Your link goes to a generic Wikipedia page about “critic”.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 05, 2020 10:17AM
Try this link.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 05, 2020 11:53AM
People that can’t identify racism don’t understand they have benefitted from it.

They “need proof” in the form of stated intent because complex ideas are not tactile. And so you get this sort of nonsense desperately trying to delegitimize with book burning ... as if that’s not a red flag of intolerance.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 05, 2020 01:00PM
As I say elsewhere, Trump obviously did this because it will please his base, infuriate his opponents, and in hopes that we will grab for the shiny object and forget about how he disrespects the troops. I get tired of being told things are distractions, but this is obviously a distraction.

Date: September 05, 2020 01:17PM
$tevie
As I say elsewhere, Trump obviously did this because it will please his base, infuriate his opponents, and in hopes that we will grab for the shiny object and forget about how he disrespects the troops. I get tired of being told things are distractions, but this is obviously a distraction.

Agreed. I posted this as a separate thread because I thought the CRT concept interesting - and amazing that in 2010, people would resort to modern-day book-burning* about such an academic concept.

Other overt race-baiting that is going on now denies the financially tangible mess that our government made of mortgage financing starting with troops returning from WWII.

I like to point to the Constitution and to the mortgage mess as tangible issues when it comes to those that complain 'there is no systemic racism'. Being only counted as 3/5 of a human, and then being told that a house is worth 5x LESS because its owners are Black, are clear-cut examples. Yes, some of these are reduced, but they DO exist. RCT was trying to quantify this in the area of the practice of Law. Funny, I'm not sure there really is a lot of controversy in judicial circles that it exists. The issue seems to be what to do about it - or whether we SHOULD do anything about it.

EDIT: *correction, books were banned and put in perpetual storage rather than 'burned'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 04:33PM by sekker.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 05, 2020 02:29PM
sekker

CRT doesn’t look perfect to me, but the argument that the US Constitution was designed to be racist is hard to argue with since slaves were only counted as 3/5 of a person...

Edit: link should be fixed

You have to be ignorant of, or not care about, over 400 years of history to not understand that our country was founded on white supremacy.

Many Southern colonists were loyal to the Crown until British governors started offering slaves freedom in exchange for joining up with the Redcoats. That threat turned the South towards the Patriots and likely changed the outcome of that conflict.

Look at how upset the 1619 Project has made certain people.

I live in a house built by a man who signed the Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union which clearly outlines that South Carolina fought the war for independence from Britain so that it could continue slavery as it pleased and that it was not going to be told by any of the other states what to do.

We don't focus enough in American history on the link between those wars. The nature of our founding led directly to the Civil War. The "founders" knew it was going to blow up. They knew slavery was a moral wrong even while practicing it, they knew it was an evil that could not stand. I can give them full credit for that.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 05, 2020 02:58PM
For many history is a cable channel, one that doesn't show any history programs because if it did they wouldn't watch that channel.
Date: September 05, 2020 03:47PM
LD, I grew up in (otherwise quite good) public schools in southern IL. The social studies I learned had none of what you describe.

Instead, the Civil War was the 'War Between the States' and about 'states' rights'.

Moved 180 miles north, learned a totally different set of history lessons in high school.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 05, 2020 04:25PM
I could not find any links that said Arizona actually burned books, anybody have a relevant link?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 05, 2020 04:33PM
This section of the wiki states:

'In 2010, the Mexican American Studies Department Programs in Tucson, Arizona were effectively banned due to their connection to CRT, which was seen to be in violation of a recently-passed state law that "prohibits schools from offering courses that 'advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals'."[46] The ban included the confiscation of books, in some cases in front of students, by the Tucson Unified School District.[47]'

Reference 47 has some pointers.
Date: September 05, 2020 04:34PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I could not find any links that said Arizona actually burned books, anybody have a relevant link?

Apologies, 'modern-day' book-burning is what I should have said - books were confiscated and put in long-term storage.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 05, 2020 05:00PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2020 10:10AM by Ted King.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020