advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Woodward knew early about deadly Covid
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 10, 2020 07:50AM
Did he not believe trump? So didn’t release the news tapes, didn’t want to lessen his new book’s impact and dollars. Question: what would you do if you had the pandemic info in Feb. Would you sit on it or contact health officials with tapes for guidance?

Exact date of the taping?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 07:52AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Woodward knew early about deadly Covid
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 10, 2020 07:56AM
My husband just asked me the same thing.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 10, 2020 08:04AM
Th interview with Woodward was Feb. 7; so very early in the COVID crisis.

NPR's article yesterday has a good rundown on the timing and content of the interviews:
[www.npr.org]

"It goes through air," he told Woodward in a Feb. 7 phone call not previously reported. "So that's a tricky one. That's a very delicate one. It's also more deadly than even your strenuous flus."

The interviews stretched from December to July.

Bill Gates and others call January and February our "lost months" because we failed to act early, as we all know now.

It's not the responsibility of journalists to blow the whistle on leaders. There were MANY other people who knew what was going on, they were the ones informing Trump.

We were let down by a lot of people, but I'm not going to add Bob Woodward to that list.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 10, 2020 08:07AM
Samintx,
Don't buy into the misdirection campaign that is beginning from the Trump camp. Yes. Woodward had his interview. He wrote his book.

It was TRUMP'S JOB TO ALERT US. It' was Trumps' job to help prepare us.

All he and his Republican buddies did was:
1- Deny and lie
2- Misdirect
3- Plan and execute plans to seize supplies and make money off them.
4- Plan and execute plans to guarantee that more people in "blue States" would die.
5- Sell all their stock holdings at peak to avoid the COVID drop.
6- Create laws that guaranteed huge corporate payouts

and etc. and etc. and etc.

By the election in November, Trump and his team of evil grifters will have murdered well over 250,000 Americans through their actions.

And I'll note that there are a LOT of records of various people all over the world, journalists, and scientists and citizens, alerting the American people to the coming disaster.
Date: September 10, 2020 08:15AM
I want to know from every member of Congress and governor:
DId you know and failed to do anything, or were you lied to?

There's no option C.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 10, 2020 08:16AM
Hey, let's not get distracted here!

The responibility lies in the lap of on man and one man only!

And that man is, of course...

...JOE BIDEN

Appearing Wednesday night on the friendly confines of Fox’s primetime show, Hannity — and just moments before the eponymous host interviewed Trump by phone — Rove pulled out his trademark whiteboard to try to prove that real negligence on Covid-19 was perpetrated by the man who was not leading the country at the time and not privy to real-time, national security and public health assessments from the U.S. intelligence community. Instead of addressing the bombshell details in Woodward’s book, Rove went on offense and attacked the perceived strength of the GOP rival, a tactic he famously deployed while George W. Bush’s campaign architect.

[www.mediaite.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 10, 2020 08:33AM
Yet another book telling us what we already knew about Trump long after it was actionable.
Date: September 10, 2020 08:40AM
Acer
Yet another book telling us what we already knew about Trump long after it was actionable.

Exactly. He would have been added to the long list of Fake News touting the hoax virus.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 10, 2020 08:56AM
Woodward is an author, not the person responsible for letting the US know the dangers of Covid.

But beyond that, all of the infectious disease people knew this was a serious pandemic threat, as well as literally anyone that was paying attention. The Chinese were saying so; the WHO was saying so. And all these concerns were expressed; it was the person at the top who was the one actively trying to falsely reassure everyone that this was nothing.

...and that was a big part of why nearly 190,000 Americans have died. Anything else is just gaslighting.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 10, 2020 09:04AM
One salient aspect is that when Trump told this to Woodward in February, Woodward had no sources to back up Trump’s claim that COVID was as bad as he was claiming. We take it as common knowledge today that “of course” everyone knew how deadly it was, but that forgets what “the rest of us” knew about it in February, which wasn’t much. Even Fauci was saying not to freak out just yet.

The trouble is identified later, when Trump admits to Woodward he downplayed it, and the later months of interviews, for which Trump happily encouraged, where the book material was gathered.

Woodward has said more than once he was writing a book, not delivering daily newsy briefs full of topical speculation to be tossed aside in the scrum.

We REALLY need to stop looking for saviors, and begin electing competent people instead.
Date: September 10, 2020 09:17AM
Lemon Drop

There's no option C.

Yes, but you will not get a straight answer. I am just asking a question about what you would do if you knew what Woodward knew. Not drinking any Koolaid or falling for Cheeto. Just a discussion.

Did you see the response of Kennedy, the Southern gentleman Kennedy. He makes me sick sick sick with his Trump at any price or action.
Date: September 10, 2020 09:22AM
deckeda
One salient aspect is that when Trump told this to Woodward in February, Woodward had no sources to back up Trump’s claim that COVID was as bad as he was claiming. We take it as common knowledge today that “of course” everyone knew how deadly it was, but that forgets what “the rest of us” knew about it in February, which wasn’t much. Even Fauci was saying not to freak out just yet. .

I’m sorry, but this is just not true. By February, the WHO was jumping up and down warning the world what was coming:

Jan. 30 — With reports of 9,692 COVID-19 cases in China and 213 deaths, and only 82 cases outside of China, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus declared the COVID-19 outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.

Feb. 10 — [WHO chief] Tedros warned that instances of onward transmission from people with no travel history to China were concerning, and that “the detection of this small number of cases could be the spark that becomes a bigger fire,” calling on countries to “prevent a bigger fire.”

Feb. 11 — Tedros called the outbreak a “very grave threat for the rest of the world.

“We have a window of opportunity now for the rest of the world....“I will continue to remind until the world really takes this seriously, does it with a sense of urgency and believes from the heart that time is of the essence now.”

Feb. 20 — “... this virus is very dangerous, and it’s public enemy number one. But it's not being treated as such and one important indicator is the response, especially to financing the response so I call upon the international community to take this message seriously and use the window of opportunity to respond while we have time to respond,

Feb. 24 — “This is a time for all countries, communities, families and individuals to focus on preparing,” he said. "We must focus on containment while doing everything we can to prepare for a potential pandemic.”

Feb. 27 — “We are at a decisive point,” Tedros said. “My message to each of these countries is: this is your window of opportunity. If you act aggressively now, you can contain this virus. You can prevent people getting sick. You can save lives. So my advice to these countries is to move swiftly.”

Most countries did. Most countries were spared this devastation. But the very next day, despite knowing the dangers, our president called concerns that we weren’t taking it seriously a Democratic hoax.

The warnings were there. Don’t be gaslighted.
Date: September 10, 2020 09:27AM
Hindsight is 20/20 only because we have the context afforded by history. Compiling a narrative into a BOOK helps with that.

I’m still not clear on exactly what it is Woodward “should” have done (in March? May? June? July? Last week?) without HIS benefit of context and without his role as a reporter ... which by the way ended years ago.

Wring your hands if you must, I guess.
Date: September 10, 2020 09:31AM
Just to be clear, I’m not wringing my hands over what Woodward did or didn’t do re Covid. It wasn’t his job.

There were plenty of people (whose job it was) that knew exactly how dangerous this could be, including the person that leads our country.

And he failed.
Date: September 10, 2020 09:32AM
pdq, I was referring to Woodward needing a source for Trump telling him what he was told. That’s very different from listening to experts who said the same thing in the aggregate but that none of them claimed to have informed Trump.

Trump wasn’t parroting world news. He was claiming firsthand knowledge through intel, spurious unless and until backed up with evidence.

Of course Woodward knew COVID was serious. But he didn’t get Trump’s claim about what Trump claimed to have known early Feb. verified until quite a bit later.
Date: September 10, 2020 09:32AM
pdq
Just to be clear, I’m not wringing my hands over what Woodward did or didn’t do re Covid. It wasn’t his job.

There were plenty of people (whose job it was) that knew exactly how dangerous this could be, including the person that leads our country.

And he failed.

That wasn’t directed to you.
Date: September 10, 2020 10:58AM
samintx
Lemon Drop

There's no option C.

Yes, but you will not get a straight answer. I am just asking a question about what you would do if you knew what Woodward knew. Not drinking any Koolaid or falling for Cheeto. Just a discussion.

Did you see the response of Kennedy, the Southern gentleman Kennedy. He makes me sick sick sick with his Trump at any price or action.

Redirecting any blame to Woodward is exactly what Trump wants people to do. Not the job or responsibility of a journalist. Don't fall for it.

He's already tweeted this:
"Bob Woodward had my quotes for many months. If he thought they were so bad or dangerous, then why didn't he immediately report them in an effort to save lives? Didn't he have an obligation to do so? No, because he knew they were good and proper answers. Calm, no panic!"
Date: September 10, 2020 11:05AM
Lemon Drop

"Bob Woodward had my quotes for many months. If he thought they were so bad or dangerous, then why didn't he immediately report them in an effort to save lives? Didn't he have an obligation to do so? No, because he knew they were good and proper answers. Calm, no panic!"

The brilliance here is that he’s reacting to criticism of himself as a fault of someone else. To the extent anyone wants to “feel bad” about someone else ... enjoy!
Date: September 10, 2020 11:24AM
deckeda
Lemon Drop

The brilliance here is that he’s reacting to criticism of himself as a fault of someone else. To the extent anyone wants to “feel bad” about someone else ... enjoy!

It is brilliant messaging which is partly why I don't think Trump wrote this one himself. I think this came from the WH spin department.
Date: September 10, 2020 11:47AM
And it gets weirder:
Pence tweeted:
"It is important to remember that (45) shut down the entire American economy to put the health of America first"

NOT HE DID NOT. He fought against states that were trying to do this.

Pence goes on:
"Along the way, what the American people saw was a president who was projecting the kind of leadership and the kind of confidence in the American people and all of our healthcare experts, doctors and nurses, that you would expect from a president in a challenging time like this"

Not even somebody just waking from a one year coma would believe this load.
Date: September 10, 2020 12:32PM
Does no one remember "Liberate Minnesota"?

Edit: PS- the same crew is now trying to Liberate the Big 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 12:36PM by pdq.
Date: September 10, 2020 12:32PM
Yeah, right.

Who was twatting "LIBERATE (STATE)" thus undermining the attempts of democrat governors to limit the virus' spread?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 10, 2020 12:43PM
trying to reverse the truth of Trump's murderous negligence.
Date: September 10, 2020 03:06PM
The publication debate: Yesterday, as criticism of Woodward’s decision to sit on the Trump tape swelled, Erik Wemple, a media writer at the Post, came to his defense. “Woodward is a book author and the implicit understanding with his sources is that he'll interview them, interview them again and again and again until he can stitch together something authoritative,” Wemple argued, adding that it’s “really healthy” for democracy to have reporters who work at different paces.

Later, Wemple spoke with Woodward; when asked if publishing earlier could have saved lives, Woodward said, “No! How?” Wemple’s colleague Margaret Sullivan also spoke to Woodward, but reached a different conclusion about his conduct: “The chance—even if it’s a slim chance—that those revelations could have saved lives is a powerful argument against waiting this l

From Media Today
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 10, 2020 03:21PM
Today, The Idiot is now blaming Woodward for not warning the public - that is the job of the press, not the President!

"If Bob Woodward thought what I said was bad, then he should have gone out immediately to the authorities..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 03:36PM by sekker.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 10, 2020 04:32PM
I am tired trying to understand what this idiot (45) thinks and says. He needs to go.
Date: September 10, 2020 04:48PM
Lemon Drop
And it gets weirder:
Pence tweeted:
"It is important to remember that (45) shut down the entire American economy to put the health of America first"

Pence has deleted this tweet. Somebody must have pointed out that it's a big fat stupid lie, and also a complete contradiction of everything he and Trump said for 3 months.
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 10, 2020 07:38PM
sekker
Today, The Idiot is now blaming Woodward for not warning the public - that is the job of the press, not the President!

"If Bob Woodward thought what I said was bad, then he should have gone out immediately to the authorities..."

And if he didn’t like what the press said, is it “fake news”? Even though it may be right, factual and correct information? Jeeze, have some cake and eat it too!
Date: September 10, 2020 07:42PM
I like Margaret Sullivan, she's a good media critic. But her conclusion/speculation requires people play the what-if game. In my opinion we need more plausibility than that.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 10, 2020 10:35PM
In MID-MARCH we were all still tooling along - in most places - shaking our heads about NYC, but really not serious about it at all. That all changed right then. In the six weeks that came before that, the government did nothing. Nothing. And now we all know that THEY knew enough - even before then – to circle the wagons. And nothing.

Criminal negligence, every single one of them.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 11, 2020 07:51AM
Lemon Drop
It's not the responsibility of journalists to blow the whistle on leaders.

I beg to differ; that’s EXACTLY what I want journalists to do.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 11, 2020 10:03AM
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop
It's not the responsibility of journalists to blow the whistle on leaders.

I beg to differ; that’s EXACTLY what I want journalists to do.

Not all whistles are blown at the same time. We're not really disagreeing here, we're quibbling.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 11, 2020 11:24AM
My opinion is that it if even only 10% of Trumpers who heard the President on tape say the virus was 5 times deadlier than the flu and spread by breathing had believed his words, it would have changed the dynamics of the anti-mask movement. I think sitting on the quotes to sell more books was reckless. I have put Woodward into the same box as John Bolton.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 11, 2020 12:42PM
$tevie
My opinion is that it if even only 10% of Trumpers who heard the President on tape say the virus was 5 times deadlier than the flu and spread by breathing had believed his words, it would have changed the dynamics of the anti-mask movement. I think sitting on the quotes to sell more books was reckless. I have put Woodward into the same box as John Bolton.

They won't be listening to the tapes or reading commentary so they'll likely never hear what he actually said.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 11, 2020 01:43PM
RgrF
$tevie

They won't be listening to the tapes or reading commentary so they'll likely never hear what he actually said.
People say @#$%& like this but in fact there are people on FOX who definitely would have reported on this had it come out in the context of "news on covid" and not "Woodward book". Jennifer Griffin and Chris Wallace come to mind.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 11, 2020 01:53PM
They're not monolithic, not all or even most watch FOX in fact more MAGAs tend to toward group think - if their group isn't talking about it, they never hear it. Not to mention derTrumpenfeurer has told them FOX isn't reliable anymore so, for those who do watch, you can guess just which segments they'll deem fake.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 11, 2020 06:50PM
Ultimately, even if Woodward had gone public, the Cult would not have cared a wit about the news. It would have been up to 45 himself to convey the seriousness of the news he had been told with empathy and compassion, traits we know he does not possess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020