advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Bloomberg ponies up
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 13, 2020 08:50AM
Not my favorite candidate this cycle, but he’s putting his money where his mouth was:

The former New York mayor and candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination Mike Bloomberg will spend at least $100m to support Joe Biden in Florida, in an attempt to counter any infusion of personal cash by Donald Trump.

(Psst: From what we all know about him, I think it is highly unlikely that Trump will actually put any substantial amount of his own money into this race. He likes to do things with other people’s money, not his own.)

Like me, you may be skeptical of billionaires like Bloomberg who try to buy their way into higher office. But you know, he won the mayorship of NYC as a Republican; he didn’t need to switch parties and take on the bizarre clownshow that today’s GOP has become. Or maybe as a New Yorker, he knows Trump too well and just can’t stand him.

Whatever his motivation, he’s putting the Trumpies in a pinch. Without Florida, there is no way Trump can win. It’ll be tough, but Biden still has a narrow lead in the Sunshine State per Five Thirty Eight. In this, Bloomberg is not only obscenely rich, he’s smart - he’s forcing Trump to defend in his “home state”, and Bloomie’s bucks may just be enough to push Biden over the top.

Hate money in politics? So do I. Sadly, in order to have any chance to change that, you’ve got to win first. After he flamed out in the debates, Bloomberg could easily have just taken his ball (of money) and slunk home. Now, he’s fighting fire with fire on his own dime.

And that’s okay with me.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bloomberg ponies up
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2020 08:53AM
Good, time to stop bringing knives to a gun fight.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 13, 2020 09:20AM
that's a lot bigger than a pony. Good going Bloomberg!
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 13, 2020 09:53AM
I thought he was not going to follow through on his pledge to put a good chunk of money toward defeating Trump/helping Biden. A few days ago I even thought of making a post asking what Bloomberg had done to fulfill his pledge. Putting his money into Florida (and hopefully Pennsylvania) is going to be helpful. At the least Trump will have to spend a bunch of money there to counteract Bloomberg's money - money that Trump won't have to spend elsewhere.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 13, 2020 11:29AM
Ted King
I thought he was not going to follow through on his pledge to put a good chunk of money toward defeating Trump/helping Biden. A few days ago I even thought of making a post asking what Bloomberg had done to fulfill his pledge.

this WaPo article details what Bloomberg has been quietly doing behind the scenes. I thought of this forum when i read it this morning because of the sentiment here that Bloomberg wasn't doing enough. Some people just get things done instead of flaunting that they're doing it.

It's rather longish so hopefully non-subscribers can get past the paywall to read it.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 13, 2020 11:53AM
Good for Bloomberg. I hope he is putting some of that (or additional funds) to the opponents of Republicans in Senate races this election cycle.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 14, 2020 07:47AM
I found it interesting how "Bloomie", when he wanted to run for an additional term as NYC Mayor (which, by law, was prohibited), got the law changed. OK, It should have taken effect for future mayors BUT, Bloomie got it to be retroactive thus allowing him to "legally" run for an additional term. The rules are very different for very rich people (big surprise). angry villagers smiley
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 14, 2020 11:13AM
Florida is where it's at for 2020. Given his support among conservative Hispanics (or Latinos if you prefer) Trump could certainly win there.

If Trump loses Florida he'll be the first presidential candidate to lose his home state twice. He also have no chance of securing the electoral college. If Bloomberg's money can help get that done, then great.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 14, 2020 07:11PM
testcase
I found it interesting how "Bloomie", when he wanted to run for an additional term as NYC Mayor (which, by law, was prohibited), got the law changed. OK, It should have taken effect for future mayors BUT, Bloomie got it to be retroactive thus allowing him to "legally" run for an additional term. The rules are very different for very rich people (big surprise). angry villagers smiley

Whatever it takes to get rid of this criminal administration is OK with me, sort out the details later.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 14, 2020 09:03PM
graylocks
Ted King
I thought he was not going to follow through on his pledge to put a good chunk of money toward defeating Trump/helping Biden. A few days ago I even thought of making a post asking what Bloomberg had done to fulfill his pledge.

this WaPo article details what Bloomberg has been quietly doing behind the scenes. I thought of this forum when i read it this morning because of the sentiment here that Bloomberg wasn't doing enough. Some people just get things done instead of flaunting that they're doing it.

It's rather longish so hopefully non-subscribers can get past the paywall to read it.

$215 million is the amount mentioned in the article, when you include the $100 million. Plus it says he spent $275 million on attack ads against Pres. Trump when Bloomberg was running in the primaries this year. A half a billion can put a dent even in the wealth of someone as rich as he is.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 16, 2020 12:06PM

A half a billion can put a dent even in the wealth of someone as rich as he is.

Bloomberg's estimated net worth is $50 billion plus, Trump's is at about $2.5 billion. Bloomberg might have minor issues with liquidity spending half a billion, but nowhere close to what Trump would face coming up with $100 million of his own money. The entire Trump family's net worth is a fraction of Bloomberg's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2020 12:09PM by JoeH.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018