Posted by: space-time
Date: September 13, 2020 08:33PM
compared to Trump, Nixon was an angel.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So what did Nixon do?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 13, 2020 08:51PM
[medium.com]

TL;DR: To compare Trump to Nixon is unfair to Nixon.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 13, 2020 09:16PM
You are leaving out the enablers. The huge difference today is the Republican party. They were presented obvious evidence, refused to allow testimony from relevant witnesses, and found the criminal not guilty (with the single exception of Mittens). Those Senators are all corrupt and/or traitors.

It is not quite so unfair a comparison to Nixon. He was guilty of likely treasonous deeds that were never brought up in the impeachment that was mostly centered on Watergate related crimes.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 13, 2020 09:42PM
Filliam H. Muffman
You are leaving out the enablers. The huge difference today is the Republican party. They were presented obvious evidence, refused to allow testimony from relevant witnesses, and found the criminal not guilty (with the single exception of Mittens). Those Senators are all corrupt and/or traitors.

It is not quite so unfair a comparison to Nixon. He was guilty of likely treasonous deeds that were never brought up in the impeachment that was mostly centered on Watergate related crimes.

Filliam, read the article I posted when you can. It also points out that it's not just about how someone behaves when they're in the WH, but also how they got there, their life outside of the job, etc. Yes, Nixon was a crook and a liar and guilty of treasonous deeds, but prior to the WH, his life was very different from Trump's.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 13, 2020 11:53PM
To me, Trump in no way compares, for one reason.

Regardless of what I think of how he did it, Nixon, idiosyncrasies though he may have had, acted as a President and spent time seeing to the business of the country.

Trump is simply a narcissistic sociopath at the controls of the ship of state, feeding the needs of his dysfunctions and his pocketbook.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 13, 2020 11:58PM
Yeah, Nixon had his moment - creation of the EPA, normalizing relations with China. But in secret, he was deeply corrupt and creepy.

The big difference is that it’s no secret about Trump being deeply corrupt and creepy. Also, he doesn’t have any accomplishments to redeem him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 01:08AM by pdq.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 14, 2020 12:50AM
Nixon was a president who became a crook. Trump is a crook who became president.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: September 14, 2020 01:00AM
It was said (early in the Nixon administration) that everything was for sale. I never liked Nixon and voted against him, but I will give him credit for environmental legislation being signed. Whether his outreach to China was good or bad or just neutral, I don't have an opinion. Later, when China got most favored nation status, that seems to have opened the door for them to take over manufacturing from the rest of the western world. Nixon via Henry Kissinger opened the door for this, but it was probably better that we didn't have a nuclear armed opponent who we wouldn't speak to.

Nixon was guilty of being involved in the coverup of the Watergate burglary, which is small change compared to Trump's many bad deeds. His violation of the emoluments rule by itself should have gotten him impeached and removed years ago.

The big difference between Nixon and Trump, I feel, is that Nixon at least knew that some things are wrong (even if he did them), compared to Trump's lack of ability to understand the difference between telling the truth and lying.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 14, 2020 01:33AM
PeterB
Filliam H. Muffman

Filliam, read the article I posted when you can. It also points out that it's not just about how someone behaves when they're in the WH, but also how they got there, their life outside of the job, etc. Yes, Nixon was a crook and a liar and guilty of treasonous deeds, but prior to the WH, his life was very different from Trump's.

There are two categories where the Orange Galactic Embarrassment is way ahead: daily pathological lying, and shameless profiting from emoluments. Nixon had to be a crook and lacking morals long before he became President to cause so much havoc during his administration. He associated with and appointed people that matched those traits. I think Nixon could put up decent competition if he was in office today with backing from FAUX and the Senate.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 14, 2020 01:54AM
Ugh. They are both terrible for this country.

The difference is simple. Tricky Dick still respected the Constitution. 45? Not at al.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 14, 2020 02:19AM
Dennis S
Nixon was a president who became a crook. Trump is a crook who became president.

^^^
Bingo!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 14, 2020 10:59AM
Take a look at Nixon's entire career of deception and red-baiting and divisiveness. You may think differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 11:00AM by Steve G..
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 14, 2020 11:36AM
.....Nixon Does Debbie.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 14, 2020 11:55AM
Criminal though he was, Nixon was a very intelligent man who could communicate very well.
Trump is a blowhard who can barely speak coherently.
That he has such a loyal following, even among some intelligent people, is a great disappointment to me.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 14, 2020 02:09PM
S. Pupp
That he has such a loyal following, even among some intelligent people, is a great disappointment to me.

It is a great disappointment to everyone who still thinks for themselves…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020