advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Black kids today don’t grow up worried the Klan will kill them in the middle of the night — they worry the police will."
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 14, 2020 08:44PM
Bill Russell writing for today's Players Tribune.

(thought I was posting to the other side - please move thread if you think it doesn't belong here)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 08:46PM by RgrF.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Black kids today don’t grow up worried the Klan will kill them in the middle of the night — they worry the police will."
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 14, 2020 09:12PM
Statistically, they're correct...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Wrong side.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 15, 2020 12:43AM

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: "Black kids today don’t grow up worried the Klan will kill them in the middle of the night — they worry the police will."
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: September 15, 2020 06:39AM
They have to be TAUGHT to think that growing up. So who is ultimately responsible for teaching that? The parents, the schools or someone else?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 15, 2020 07:05AM
bobinmurphy
They have to be TAUGHT to think that growing up. So who is ultimately responsible for teaching that? The parents, the schools or someone else?

Agree. My guess is that the data shows that there are other issues that they should be far more concerned about.
Re: Wrong side.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 15, 2020 07:57AM
....Klan......of the Cave Bear.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Ah, statistics!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 15, 2020 08:10AM

Well, then statistically— they should grow worrying even more about being killed by black maies of varying ages.

Statistically, they'd be even more correct.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 15, 2020 09:37AM
If this is what they fear, then this is what they fear, whether you think it's appropriate or not.

As to who is teaching them this? I'd say that the police are teaching them this.

If you want them to fear things that are more "appropriate," then get the police to behave better.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 15, 2020 10:05AM
bobinmurphy

From everything I've seen and heard, I think the police give pretty effective lessons first-hand. Starting in school, at the earliest ages...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Re: Ah, statistics!
Date: September 15, 2020 04:05PM
RAMd®d

Well, then statistically— they should grow worrying even more about being killed by black maies of varying ages.

Statistically, they'd be even more correct.[/quote

And they are aware of that, especially as young black men. Generally they age out of that, if they get the the chance. But the blue hand of death can come at them anytime and they are fully aware of it as well.

Ask any adult black man if he has had tell his kids how to deal with police. I tell my son police are generally babies with guns, you never know what will set them off. You never know if they are having a bad day and if that will cost you your life.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 15, 2020 04:14PM
RAMd®d

Statistically, they'd be even more correct.
Seems this proves you correct...
50 People Shot, 15 Fatally, In Baltimore In A Week
CBS Baltimore
On Friday, a 14-year-old was shot in the Coldstream-Homestead Montebello
community. The teen was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Police found a gun on the victim.
{ea}
14 years old and packing? In a city with some of the tightest gun controls in the
U.S.; est. 63% black population and almost all murder victims are black.
What makes it even more sad is there are very few non-Federal gun violation prosecutions.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 15, 2020 04:36PM
So how many of you white dads out there have had to explain to their teenage sons how to deal with police?

I didn't because there was little probability my son was going to be pulled over while driving and if he was he'd have no need to feel afraid. It's called "white privilege"

The only time I ever felt that fear my self was while driving through Georgia with Yankee license plates on the way to spring break in Florida.
Date: September 15, 2020 07:41PM
RgrF
So how many of you white dads out there have had to explain to their teenage sons how to deal with police?

I didn't because there was little probability my son was going to be pulled over while driving and if he was he'd have no need to feel afraid. It's called "white privilege"

The only time I ever felt that fear my self was while driving through Georgia with Yankee license plates on the way to spring break in Florida.

This. I think Comedian Jay Mohr had a black comedian on his podcast. Jay said "What is white privelige. I've never felt it"
The other responded "Jay, have you ever been pulled over by a cop, and understood this might be the end, just because he's having a bad day?"
"No, of course not!" Jay said.
"THAT, is white privelige"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018