advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump coronavirus vaccine – in this one specific case, I’m anti-vax (Blog/Opinion)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 14, 2020 09:39PM
All vaccines currently on the market have been tested thoroughly. And the science that these current vaccines are very safe and very effective is settled. I am thoroughly convinced of the evidence that we have excellent vaccines, so it is clear that I am thoroughly pro-vaccine – I do not have to convince anyone of that.

However, for the Trump coronavirus vaccine, I am anti-vaccine. But it is a very narrow, very unique situation.

I have been troubled by the speed of the coronavirus vaccine research. I think it can lead to a bad vaccine on the market. Recently, Astra-Zeneca had to put a hold further testing of the so-called University of Oxford vaccine, because of a suspected serious adverse event in one individual. Astra-Zeneca will investigate the adverse event to determine if the vaccine caused it.

This is not uncommon in clinical trials – there is an abundance of caution while investigating new drugs, despite what people believe about how clinical trials are managed. That’s why vaccine research is difficult and not a slam dunk.

On the other hand, there will be serious consequences to a rushed Trump coronavirus vaccine, because we might not get these safety signals that can appear in large clinical trials. And if we do this wrong by avoiding large phase 3 clinical trials, people who may be on the fence about vaccines become convinced by anti-vaxxers that this awful process was used by all other vaccines. It wasn’t.

Dr. Peter Hotez, MD Ph.D., one of the leading vaccine scientists in the world, posted a Twitter thread where he discussed his concerns about a potential Trump coronavirus vaccine...

I want to review each of the 12 concerns he posted along with my own opinions on each...

[www.skepticalraptor.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump coronavirus vaccine – in this one specific case, I’m anti-vax (Blog/Opinion)
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 14, 2020 11:08PM
When Dr. Faucy says a vaccine is safe, I'll believe it but I'll let a few thousand others confirm as much before I get one.
Re: Trump coronavirus vaccine – in this one specific case, I’m anti-vax (Blog/Opinion)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 14, 2020 11:18PM
Don C
When Dr. Faucy says a vaccine is safe, I'll believe it but I'll let a few thousand others confirm as much before I get one.

exactly.

being pro-vaccine doesn't mean taking any old shot.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 14, 2020 11:23PM
Don C

Fauci told us not to wear masks in March when he was well aware that they were our best hope for getting the pandemic under control.

Fauci pushed to get kids back in school before we had a national policy or even those dumb half-assed CDC guidelines that schools are trying to untangle.

Fauci backed 45's "October surprise" vaccine bullsh!t.

He's crossed the line too many times. He's compromised. He's a tool. Follow the consensus opinion of scientists from around the world, not Fauci.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 15, 2020 06:29AM
We’ll get our real-world trials after it’s released, partly because it won’t be immediately widely available. Those initial people will instantly pretend life is normal again and we’ll find out from them if it is.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 15, 2020 07:00AM
Don C

My thoughts exactly and all my family, too. World Scientists and Fauci as a group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 07:03AM by samintx.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 15, 2020 07:04AM
I don’t think I will be eligible for the first round anyway, unless the people who are first responders, compromised health risk, essential employees, and the elderly decide to take a pass.
I am just under 65, had to quit my essential worker job, and thankfully don’t have any of the major underlying issues, so when will I even be eligible?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 15, 2020 07:05AM
You know, I have had these questions too about Fauci. He said he didn’t want to get political but Birx certainly did and Fauci did too IMO.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 15, 2020 10:07AM
This thread reflects how much public opinion has suffered for U.S. public health officials during this pandemic, including previously 'teflon' personalities like Anthony Fauci....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 15, 2020 11:19AM
rjmacs
This thread reflects how much public opinion has suffered for U.S. public health officials during this pandemic, including previously 'teflon' personalities like Anthony Fauci....

The problem is that teflon Don is no longer teflon, or at least the teflon has started to flake off and become poisonous, and it's affecting everyone around him or who chooses to associate with him.

Several months back, we were all debating whether Fauci and Birx's behaviors constituted a violation ... while on the one hand, you could argue that they were stuck between a rock and a hard place, on the other hand, they had an ethical duty to tell the truth regardless of what their boss was saying. They each chose not to do that at various points (obviously Birx much more so than Fauci), and it does have a cost in terms of public trust and compliance with public health directives.

Lastly, I have to also point out ... where has our Surgeon General been during all this mess...? Ordinarily, he or she would be another bedrock of trusted medical advice, but instead we have this: [www.newsweek.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2020 03:50PM
I love Dr Fauci, but the Woodward book is a damning statement on him and Birx.

They BOTH had this same info, and they did NOT contradict His Emperor.

I think Fauci is trying to rescue the reputation of vaccines since they are essential to get back to normal.

But if he does not speak out about those that WILL be announced - regardless of the science - by Nov 1, then we will know he's lost all backbone.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 16, 2020 07:15AM
I vote we all hold Sarcany down and give 'em the Russian vaccine...smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018