advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
MAGA hat. We have something in common right off the bat!
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 15, 2020 07:53AM
1 big thing: The Trump identity and fashion statement

Spotted at President Trump campaign event in Winston-Salem, N.C., last week. Photo: Jonathan Ernst/Reuters
If President Trump defies today's swing-state polls and pulls off another upset, what will we have missed that could have been a clue?

Here's a big one: Trump flotillas ... Trump flags bigger than American flags ... Trump truck rallies ... Trump shirts ... Trump underwear ... lawns that don't have a Trump-Pence sign or two but 50 or even 100 — a forest.
Why it matters: To his diehard supporters, Trump isn't just a candidate. He's a lifestyle choice and a vehicle for self-expression — a way to continually flip the middle finger at big media, big business, big government ... anything big.

It's all part of one of the big Trump triumphs — convincing his voters that an attack on him is actually an attack on them.
A hat, popular in rural convenience stores this summer, says it all: "If You Don't Like Trump Then You Probably Won't Like Me."

At rallies, you see people wearing Trump flags like a billowing robe. And a lot of this isn't official campaign merch — people print these up themselves.
At a Trumper classic-car rally in Michigan this weekend, one red, white and blue Trump flag — in place of "Keep America Great" — said, "NO MORE B.S.," with the last word spelled out. Nearby, a man wore a flag-bedecked t-shirt proclaiming: "JESUS IS MY SAVIOR / TRUMP IS MY PRESIDENT."

Trump regattas are everywhere, from the solid South to the fancy waters of Mystic, Conn. (Bad metaphorical optics when five Trump boats, swamped by the wake from a massive lake rally, sank near Austin over Labor Day.)

A Trump boat parade passes Mar-a-Lago on Labor Day. Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images
"Axios on HBO" went to Lake of the Ozarks, Mo., to explore this phenomenon for a segment we call, "Trump on the lake."

Axios CEO Jim VandeHei: "In your lifetime, do you ever remember a Ronald Reagan flag as big as the American flag in somebody's front yard? Do you ever remember someone spray painting 'Obama' on their boat?"
White House editor Margaret Talev: "No, but there's never been a president whose brand was branding. ... They like the fact that he says things that you're not allowed to say — that he says things that they feel that they can't say at work or in mixed company."
Randy Kelly, a retired boat dealer who has lived at Lake of the Ozarks since moving down from Kansas City 43 years ago, told "Axios on HBO":

"If you see someone that has on a Trump hat, there's a camaraderie: Hey, we got something in common."
The bottom line: Trump touts a "silent majority," and pundits pundit about "shy Trump voters" who may be missed by pollsters.

But one of the stories of this election is that the Trump vote is screaming, not silent.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MAGA hat. We have something in common right off the bat!
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 15, 2020 07:55AM
It’s true - Trumpies are loud and obnoxious; but they’re not a majority, thank god, and they’ll find that out soon.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: September 15, 2020 08:39AM
I think you’re absolutely correct on this.

It is manifested in the “Russian rubbish or real” post too. I quote: They don't give a @#$%& what he does. He's just something to rally around and hate liberals, that's it, period.

MAGAs don’t care about his policies (or lack of them), they just want to air grievances. What I don’t get and what I really want to understand is what are those grievances? Why the resentment? This huge hulking pile of resentment. Are they being stopped for a minor violation on a bicycle and then killed??? Are they at home asleep and then killed? From what I see they’ve got enough to spend freely on tRump merch.

Over the past 60 years, we’ve had 28 years under a democratic president and 32 under republican — remarkably even.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 15, 2020 09:06AM
Rednecks wear red.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 15, 2020 09:29AM
abevilac

Over the past 60 years, we’ve had 28 years under a democratic president and 32 under republican — remarkably even.

And one fourth of those 32 years under Republican presidents were under Republican presidents that were elected with less votes than the Democratic candidates they faced.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 15, 2020 10:38AM
It's a cult. Straight up. And needs to be killed. With fire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 179
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018