advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Biting the hand that feeds: 45 mocks NBC before tonight’s “free hour of TV.”
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 15, 2020 02:07PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

“At a campaign rally in Greenville, N.C., Trump repeatedly criticized NBC News, which is hosting a town hall with the president Thursday night.

“Trump’s comments come as NBC is facing criticism — including from some of the network’s current and former employees — over its decision to host the town hall.

“Both White House contenders were originally scheduled to face off at their second debate Thursday night, but Trump pulled out after the Commission on Presidential Debates decided to conduct the event virtually because of the president’s coronavirus diagnosis.

“ABC News then announced it was hosting a town hall with Biden at 8 p.m. Eastern time; NBC later announced that it was holding a town hall with Trump at the same time.

“So you know I’m being set up tonight, right?” Trump told the crowd, even though his campaign agreed to participate in the town hall. “So, I’m doing this town hall with Concast — C-O-N, right? Con, because it’s a con job. … So, I’m doing it, and it’s NBC. The worst.

“Trump called NBC’s town hall with Biden earlier this month “a joke” and accused the network, without evidence, of not treating both candidates fairly. He then said he was eager to participate in the event, describing it as a “free” opportunity for him to reach more voters.

“So, they asked me if I’d do it and I figured, what the hell — we get a free hour on television,” Trump said.
He also took aim at host Savannah Guthrie, telling the crowd: “And we have Savannah Guthrie. She’s always lovely, isn’t she? But I figure, why not?”

“So, I’ll see you later on NBC,” he added. “I look forward to it.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Biting the hand that feeds: 45 mocks NBC before tonight’s “free hour of TV.”
Date: October 15, 2020 02:10PM
The only thing craven NBC has done is to spin this as “equal time” for Trump. That is a lie.
Re: Biting the hand that feeds: 45 mocks NBC before tonight’s “free hour of TV.”
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 15, 2020 02:16PM
19 days

I'll tune in to Biden and I truly hope NBC gets horrible ratings - what a civic disservice to hold these events at the same time.

I hope everyone in NC stays safe if they attended this super spreader event where 45 again mocked and lied about Dr. Fauci.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 15, 2020 02:25PM
My wife is 100% skipping both events and any/all debates. 'I've voted, need to get on with my life.'
Date: October 15, 2020 02:38PM
In 1960, the first and only virtual debate was held, because they happened to be on opposite ends of the country campaigning at the time. So there was an effort to piece them together, not to trick viewers but to bring parity. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting read.

Everyone knows about how Nixon sweated on camera for the first debate and looked creepy. For the last one, he wore makeup and had his studio cooled to 60.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

“The coast-to-coast hookup was “the most difficult and most complicated broadcast in the history of TV,” said the American Broadcasting Co., which telecast the debate for all three networks. Nixon was at ABC’s Studio “A” in Hollywood in the same building where the first “talkie” movie, “The Jazz Singer” with Al Jolson, was filmed. Kennedy was 3,000 miles away in ABC’s Studio One in New York City.

“To make both sites look exactly alike, a can of paint used for the backdrop in New York was flown overnight to Hollywood to match the background there. Drapes made for the telecast were cut from the same bolt of cloth. Long before Zoom, ABC built identical backdrop bookcases filled with eight rows of law books. But then it was discovered the cameras wouldn’t capture them.”

It goes on to say Nixon was regarded as winning that debate. But apparently, both candidates did NOT appear as a split screen, but instead one at a time. The director defended the decision because of how many TVs of the day might have made the image too cropped.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 15, 2020 02:50PM
I don't remember reading about this ever before. Thanks, deckeda!

Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 15, 2020 04:46PM
Well, it's going to happen. Town Hall, huh. He's going to get some (I would think at least a few) tough questions he won't want to have anything to do with. I think we are going to see a super-inflated-ego huckster trying to sell himself with lies and bravado. It will be interesting to see who will buy his shtick. He could very well staunch the rate of loss of voters that has happened since the last (insane) debate and his bout with Covid and the whole White House being a Covid hot spot, just by being close to somewhere near normal in his rhetoric and behavior.

But he could very well blow it because he relies on his "quick wit" to compensate for his lack of preparation. His wit isn't near as quick as he thinks it is and lack of preparation may go over fine with his cult, but I can see him coming across to anyone with even a modicum of skepticism as the self-serving empty blowhard that he is.

I think he probably would much rather try in a debate to get Biden to "kow" as a primary strategy rather than deal with voters directly in a Town Hall with only him on the stage as a candidate. I'm not going to watch it, but I'm still interested in how it goes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2020 04:58PM by Ted King.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 15, 2020 05:12PM
I'm really hoping that tonight is the night that it all comes to an end for Trump. That he will appear so deranged that even Hannity has to walk away.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 15, 2020 06:03PM
....psycho.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: October 15, 2020 07:14PM
Lemon Drop
I'll tune in to Biden and I truly hope NBC gets horrible ratings

agree smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 15, 2020 08:03PM
....Savannah Guthrie is really grilling him......like 3rd degree.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020