advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
More early voting numbers
Posted by: numbered
Date: October 15, 2020 07:57PM
So the US Elections Project reports that as of 2004 Eastern time 15 Oct

18,368,568 people have voted in the 41 states reporting. This represents 13.5% of the total votes in 2016.

In Harris County, TX (aka Houston) 400,000 people have voted in the first three days. The total vote in 2016 was 1.312m. More people have voted so far than voted on election day in 2016.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More early voting numbers
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 15, 2020 08:08PM
They don’t do exit polling with early voting?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 15, 2020 08:31PM
samintx

Good, they shouldn't. Honestly, I don't think they should do exit polling at all.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 15, 2020 09:19PM
C(-)ris
samintx

Good, they shouldn't. Honestly, I don't think they should do exit polling at all.

I totally agree. They shouldn’t do anything that might influence the vote either way.
Just wait till it is over and report the news.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 15, 2020 09:52PM
I'm under the impression that early voting is assumed to be largely democratic. After all, every good Trump supporting Republican will vote in person on election day.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 15, 2020 09:52PM
Exit polling usually was not reported until the polls close. It used to be vital to validate pre-election polling. Without some form of much more rigorous national polling after the election, vote by mail has knocked the feet out from under accurate polling.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 15, 2020 10:02PM
Plenty of Republicans will have voted early. The “do not go early” message was aimed at suppressing Biden voters afraid of catching the ‘rona amongst the crowds, or swing voters easily lead by their nose. Republicans all over — except for Trump — have been working hard (silently) to get out the vote, early and by absentee.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 15, 2020 10:54PM
mattkime
I'm under the impression that early voting is assumed to be largely democratic. After all, every good Trump supporting Republican will vote in person on election day.

Trump has been telling his faithful to vote early. Or absentee. My house got four postcards about it in the last week.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 15, 2020 11:27PM
cbelt3
mattkime

Trump has been telling his faithful to vote early. Or absentee. My house got four postcards about it in the last week.

Yep, and his supporters don’t see the conflict. Because they’re not dumb, they know they can vote early or absentee and blissfully ignore his public persona. It’s all part of the cognitive dissonance that won’t permit them to question why he tells people it’s a sham.
Posted by: Wags
Date: October 15, 2020 11:42PM
I voted today. Our ballots come in the mail return postage paid. I signed up for tracking online so they let me know when my ballots are sent and received. I like to run mine down to the county election headquarters and put it in the box there.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: October 16, 2020 02:07AM
This reported turnout has been incredible. We may have a few days of more drop-off boxes in Texas before the inevitable legal interference, and if so, we may see a really massive turnout over the next few days.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 16, 2020 02:33AM
This unrelenting attack on voting rights seems to be boomeranging on the GOP pros who thought it would be a good idea. Actually I doubt any of them thought it a really good idea but adopted it as a "no where else" to go strategy about six or seven months ago or about 3/4 through this Presidential term of office.

Until COVID hit, it was likely - almost certain - Trump would win another term. That was when he became exposed for what and who he is and that was when the GOP electoral machine went into high gear. A lot of the sand they threw in the gears was ill-thought out and came from a state of panic that has proven ineffective and counter productive. In some cases - USPS comes to mind - the pushback had a reverse effect.

For the first time in their lives many people came to value their vote, while others who never did vote decided to join in*. Current turnouts would seem to support that thought. We'll see.

*Imagine if they voted, it's easy if you try...

(with apologies but no royalties to Yoko (or whoever now owns the rights)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2020 02:48AM by RgrF.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 16, 2020 10:46AM
Ca Bob
This reported turnout has been incredible. We may have a few days of more drop-off boxes in Texas before the inevitable legal interference, and if so, we may see a really massive turnout over the next few days.

My son early voted yesterday in McAllen, TX (on the border with Mexico). He said there were at most a dozen people voting which he found nice but also disappointing. It seems it is hard sometimes to motivate people to vote even when you have someone like Pres. Trump to vote against.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020