advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Covid and Trump's reelection bid
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 17, 2020 01:11PM
I would much rather that Covid illnesses and deaths were much, much lower than they are. But the reality is that we are probably going to see a significant rise in cases from now to the election - and that is bound to really hurt Trump's chances of being reelected. If illnesses and deaths do increase to a serious degree till the election, it seems likely that Trump will not only lose but could lose by such a margin that the Republicans lose control of the Senate and get clobbered in state races.

Trump keeps saying that he keeps saying that we are "turning the corner" on the Coronavirus. He keeps doubling down. And that doubling down in the face of a worsening situation with the pandemic could easily be electorally calamitous for him and many other Republicans running for office.

I certainly don't want so many people to get ill and die from the virus, but it seems like it's going to get quite a bit worse. I think it's likely that a consequence of that unfortunate reality is that Trump could get badly wiped out in the election. There are platitudes that seem kind of apt - like every cloud has a silver lining - but I wouldn't want to apply those here because they strike me as diminishing the terrible things that are happening to so many people.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Covid and Trump's reelection bid
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 17, 2020 01:30PM
The number of COVID victims would be much lower if Trump and his satanic offspring hadn’t deliberately gotten Americans sick to improve his election chances.

Look to New Zealand. Their reaction was perfect, and the PM was just re-elected. Primarily because of her success at handling the pandemic.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 17, 2020 01:40PM
Germany is the better comparison IMHO. They managed to keep themselves se safer even with no borders.

The March decision to let the virus kill blue states is going to go down as the worst decision made to date in a Presidency.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 17, 2020 02:51PM
Another problem unique to the U.S. is that the fed govt can't mandate what individual states do in response...e.g. Florida & other states that won't impost strict measures.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 17, 2020 02:58PM
What's galling is that the virus is cited as the main reason he's losing. As if the mountains of other insipid and insane @#$%& does not factor into the equation.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 17, 2020 03:15PM
Bill in NC
Another problem unique to the U.S. is that the fed govt can't mandate what individual states do in response...e.g. Florida & other states that won't impost strict measures.

How about we start with not actively undercutting the states and the experts and see how it goes. I'll bet some of those reluctant states would have been stricter if Trump had not given them so much cover.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2020 03:17PM by Acer.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 17, 2020 03:41PM
The Feds aren't powerless, CDC has some unique powers if they declare a national emergency. I can't enumerate just what they are since I don't know and don't think they've ever been tested but my understanding is they give them vast authority to issue orders covering almost all aspects of life.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 17, 2020 04:22PM
I don't expect things to improve even after the election. The same incompetent crowd will be in control with even fiercer hatred, more vengeance and totally insane trump at the wheel.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 17, 2020 04:53PM
cbelt3
Look to New Zealand. Their reaction was perfect, and the PM was just re-elected. Primarily because of her success at handling the pandemic.

...and not just reelected, but reelected in a landslide. BTW, this is the same woman that successfully tightened up NZ’s gun laws after the Christchurch massacre:

“Owning a firearm is a privilege not a right,” Ardern said in a statement announcing the new bill on Friday.

smiley-shocked003 Who coulda knowd that competency and guts would win votes? (Not necessarily here of course).

sekker
The March decision to let the virus kill blue states is going to go down as the worst decision made to date in a Presidency.

Karma is a bugger:

(Turns out you have to go to number 15 to get the first (kinda) blue state, Nevada).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020